Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: Sochi Olympics should be fun

Whatever, the Atlanta games were bombed.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    Whatever, the Atlanta games were bombed.
    gotta admit i lol'ed for w/e reason

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Putin and his friends are lining their pockets with money that was intended for things like hotels and roads and ski lifts. I would not want to be a ski jumper this year.
    How is that any different from how lobbying in the US goes?

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Eh, really don't care and the only reason people are making a big deal is because the games are played in Russia. If it was played in South Korea no one would care about the "conditions"

When driving I hear some of the stupidest shit about Socchi. One guy was talking about how there's packs of stray dogs on the streets of Socchi and that it's dangerous. Well, maybe it's because Russia doesn't kill off stray dogs....

From the pictures I saw and from what I read Socchi seems to be a beautiful city. Very lavished city, tourist city and apparently the "Monaco" of Russia.

Um, the Olympics were held in South Korea fairly recently and other than some boxing issues and steriod issues they went off without a hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabi
    How is that any different from how lobbying in the US goes?
    A ****ing lot.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Eh, really don't care and the only reason people are making a big deal is because the games are played in Russia. If it was played in South Korea no one would care about the "conditions"

When driving I hear some of the stupidest shit about Socchi. One guy was talking about how there's packs of stray dogs on the streets of Socchi and that it's dangerous. Well, maybe it's because Russia doesn't kill off stray dogs....

From the pictures I saw and from what I read Socchi seems to be a beautiful city. Very lavished city, tourist city and apparently the "Monaco" of Russia.
    South Korea has had the Olympics, and a little before that the World Cup, and none of this was talked about because none of it occured.

NY just had the Super Bowl and there's a ton of criticism, for weather that occured earlier in the week, for no Javits center, for a lack of activities centrailzed. Sometimes you get criticized becuase you don't live up to expectations, not because you are "foreign".

Banned

A ****ing lot.
    First of all no evidence that corruption has occurred has been presented. Why the price is more than the budget of 12 billion is because Russia is trying to market Sochi as a summer vacation spot where they are building more than just arenas but also roads, railways, hotels and much more . The ski jumpin place sounds sketchy with the price tag jumping to six time the price but embezzlement happen all over the world (I do not think I have to remind you of wall street) and as you can read the person overseeing the project was also fired and had to leave the country because he was probably going to jail

Lobbying was the wrong word.

Although there is no evidence of corruption I am sure some of it is happening, not the figures that has been told (25-30 billion) but with so much money on the line it is bound to happen. I am sure it would happen in every country.

The Sochi Olympics are say to be the most expensive ever and have cost $51 billion. Journalists are arriving at unfinished hotels with dogs wandering in and out of rooms.

I wonder what Putin's cut of that $51 billion is.

It cracks me up how people are so grossed out by this. It's probably a composting toilet, which are common in areas that have a high water table (so your shit doesn't seep out into say the Black Sea). "I have to throw my toilet paper in the trash?!? It's the end of life as we know it!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Gabi
    First of all no evidence that corruption has occurred has been presented. Why the price is more than the budget of 12 billion is because Russia is trying to market Sochi as a summer vacation spot where they are building more than just arenas but also roads, railways, hotels and much more.
    Yeah, Sochi doesn't have snow. The snow is 30 miles away on a mountain.
    The road from Sochi to the snow is the most expensive road in the world. $300 million a mile. Meaning you could pave the entire road in Beluga caviar. So some of the questions on Sochi should be asked not just of Putin, but of the IOC.

Here's the report by a Russian opposition leader.

Here's info on a film on the games, it features a Russian businessman who fled to London, after being threatened for revealing corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    It cracks me up how people are so grossed out by this. It's probably a composting toilet, which are common in areas that have a high water table (so your shit doesn't seep out into say the Black Sea). "I have to throw my toilet paper in the trash?!? It's the end of life as we know it!!!).
    I dunno man, there's a lot weird things going on with Sochi toilets.

I dunno man, there's a lot weird things going on with Sochi toilets.[/URL]

The couple that shits together stays together. All I'm sayin.

NBA Superstar

the thing that doesn't make any of this that outrageous where people are fuming mad is because the sponsors pay for it all. its not like tax payers, or some olympic fund every country puts in is paying for it, its the big company sponsors getting raped.

i hope it causes a huge backlash against the IoC tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    the thing that doesn't make any of this that outrageous where people are fuming mad is because the sponsors pay for it all. its not like tax payers, or some olympic fund every country puts in is paying for it, its the big company sponsors getting raped.
    Nope.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 02-05-2014 at 05:51 PM.

NBA Superstar

Nope.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_pays_f...mpics?#slide=2

i actually looked it up a few weeks ago after hearing about all of the costs and corruption. unless wiki is wrong but thats all i could really find as a answer to who pays for it.

I rule the local playground tomSR.'s Avatar

those toilets