Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: USA Today's GOAT ranking system

What a joke of a list. They don't even factor Xmas MVP in.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Martin
    Unfortunately you can't really quantify skills.
    I suppose not, but who says you need to quantify them? No point to rankings IMO.

O-Qua Tangin Wann

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I suppose not, but who says you need to quantify them? No point to rankings IMO.
    Surely you can appreciate the appeal in the quantification of performance/skill/talent in sports, considering the website you run. I suppose we don't need to quantify any part of basketball, but we will continue to because we like to compare and rank different players and teams. Humans like ranking things I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Martin
    Surely you can appreciate the appeal in the quantification of performance/skill/talent in sports, considering the website you run. I suppose we don't need to quantify any part of basketball, but we will continue to because we like to compare and rank different players and teams. Humans like ranking things I guess.
    idk man.

Duncan is at 84 , not 79. Do they differentiate between off, def or total rebound. If so add, 5 more for most playoff def rebounds.

Stupid point system Anything with all-star game should get 0 points - totally meaningless

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Duncan is at 84 , not 79. Do they differentiate between off, def or total rebound. If so add, 5 more for most playoff def rebounds.

Stupid point system Anything with all-star game should get 0 points - totally meaningless
    This doesn't count playoff statisical titles. Only counts career average leader, in the playoffs not yearly leader, and its only total rebounds since that is they way they have been tracking it since the beginning. Career rpg leader in the playoffs is Bill Russell and he gets 5 point for that.

I think a better ranking would be if we add yearly playoff leader in a main category, like playoff ppg in '93 for example would be 2 points like being the '93 regular season ppg leader. Also if you have the most of something like Kareem for total points, that deserves points. Allstar MVP should be zero I agree. Finals MVP should be at least 4 points instead of just 2.

Improving their scale I would add these:

Allstar MVP=0
    Finals MVP=4
    Career totals leader in either pts, reb, ast in regular season=6
    Career totals leader in either pts, reb, ast in the Playoffs=5
    Leader in either ppg, rpg, apg for a year in the Playoffs=2 or 1

We should create ISH's GOAT ranking system.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    I think a better ranking would be if we add yearly playoff leader in a main category, like playoff ppg in '93 for example would be 2 points like being the '93 regular season ppg leader. Also if you have the most of something like Kareem for total points, that deserves points. Allstar MVP should be zero I agree. Finals MVP should be at least 4 points instead of just 2.

Improving their scale I would add these:

Allstar MVP=0
    Finals MVP=4
    Career totals leader in either pts, reb, ast in regular season=6
    Career totals leader in either pts, reb, ast in the Playoffs=5
    Leader in either ppg, rpg, apg for a year in the Playoffs=2 or 1

We should create ISH's GOAT ranking system.
    Zero points for anything all-star - appearance or MVP - why should a player get anything for a popularity contest? Why would some one get double credit for any ONE year when that's already credited for in career total/average?
    Last edited by rmt; 01-12-2014 at 01:18 AM.

cute ranking, but you know its a joke when mikan or shaq are above kobe

Zero points for anything all-star - appearance or MVP - why should a player get anything for a popularity contest? Why would some one get double credit for any ONE year when that's already credited for career total/average?
    The best players still make the all-star team so its still an honor, and fans did not vote for them for a big part of the early NBA era. Why just reward a player for leading in scoring for one year in the regular season ie scoring titles. Why not reward a player if he can do it in the playoffs?
    Last edited by Deuce Bigalow; 01-12-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    The best players still make the all-star team so its still an honor, and fans did not vote for them for a big part of the early NBA era. Why just award a player for leading the scoring for one year in the regular season? Why not award a player if he can do it in the playoffs?
    Why reward a player for casual fans voting in him into a meaningless, exhibition all-star game (see Kobe's undeserving spot this year - is he supposed to get a point for GOAT ranking for the little/bad play he's done this year - ridiculous) but nothing for defensive player of the year? Agenda much?

Where on that list do you see any points for scoring champ?

College superstar

A few points:

I know that I am in the VAST minority, but I struggle to count many team-oriented goals on a personal basis.

1) Why such a heavy weight to a championship? Twelve players and multiple coaches had a hand in that victory. Some shares larger than others, but we're talking an individual ranking, yet we use team results? Doesn't make sense.

2) Then if doing away with "team results", obviously Finals MVP has to be gone. Can't be Finals MVP if your team is not good enough to make the Finals in the first place.

3) All star game inclusion? Really? I realize it has not always been the joke that it currently is, but it has always been an exhibition show.

4) Regular season career leaders are worth more points (6) than playoff career leaders (5)? I thought playoffs were more important? Was this done because of the possible weighting issue (less playoff games)?

Mind you, I have no serious issue with championships and other team-related things being counted in, but perhaps lessen the point total.

Why reward a player for casual fans voting in him into a meaningless, exhibition all-star game (see Kobe's undeserving spot this year - is he supposed to get a point for GOAT ranking for the little/bad play he's done this year - ridiculous) but nothing for defensive player of the year? Agenda much?

Where on that list do you see any points for scoring champ?
    DPOY's is a relatively new award to factor for ALL-TIME rankings don't you think ?
    Scoring, rebounding, assist, fg%, ft% champ in the regular season:
    [quote]Individual statistical titles (two points each)

Fill in the point total you think is the best value for each accomplishment. Put 0 if you think it should not be used.

Championship Ring-
    Finals MVP-
    League MVP-
    All-NBA first team-
    All-Defensive first team-
    All-Star team-
    Season statistical title-
    Playoff statistical title-
    Career average leader-
    Career playoff average leader-
    Career total leader-
    Career playoff total leader-

Something to add (Keep in mind that this is trying to rank players from the '50s, '60s, ect.)-

everything is so subjective when assigning points to categories, the best goat ranking to date is based on eye-test averages