Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Paul George vs Scottie Pippen

Knowing what you know now, who would you take?

Keep in mind PG24 is only 23 years old and putting up 24/6/4 on 47/39/86 to go along with 2spg and playing some really good defense.

Default Re: Paul George vs Scottie Pippen

Pippen was better than George is right now, but George will probably get better.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Pippen i believe the better overall player at the moment. I think Paul George can score better and he can be a better defender in time. PG in his prime will probably be like Tmac on offsne and Pippen on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlamb47
    Pippen i believe the better overall player at the moment. I think Paul George can score better and he can be a better defender in time. PG in his prime will probably be like Tmac on offsne and Pippen on defense.
    OK lets slow down. Anyone with those skill sets has a chance to be the greatest ever. TMac-lite on offense but not Pippen-lite on defense. He is a good defender, but if he is going to do that much on offense, he absolutely will NOT be nearly as good as Pippen on defense. Ease up on the overration

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Pippen was better than George is right now, but George will probably get better.
    I agree with you, and it is a gamble on how much better PG will get. With Pippen, you know you're getting an all-time level defender to go along with solid stats across the board. He isn't a first option type player though, and we saw that with MJ's first retirement in Pippen's prime.

PG has the ability to be a 1st option player, but isnt' as good a defender (yet).

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    OK lets slow down. Anyone with those skill sets has a chance to be the greatest ever. TMac-lite on offense but not Pippen-lite on defense. He is a good defender, but if he is going to do that much on offense, he absolutely will NOT be nearly as good as Pippen on defense. Ease up on the overration

Yea i understand that but just saying if he maxes out on defense n offense. I do belive he can become very Elite the way hes been showing up. But well see

Scottie is a Top 50 player of all time.

Is this a serious thread?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Scottie is a Top 50 player of all time.

Is this a serious thread?
    PG is averaging similar numbers to Prime Pippen at only 23 years old and he is an exceptional perimeter defender. He's not at Pippen's level yet and that's not what I'm asking. PG has a LOT of upside and it's definitely possible that he becomes a better player than Pippen.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    PG is averaging similar numbers to Prime Pippen at only 23 years old and he is an exceptional perimeter defender. He's not at Pippen's level yet and that's not what I'm asking. PG has a LOT of upside and it's definitely possible that he becomes a better player than Pippen.
    Not really.

George - 23.5ppg (46% shooting), 6 rebs, 3.5 assists (2.7 turnovers), 2 steals, 0.3 blocks
    Pippen - 21.0ppg (50% shooting), 7.7 rebs, 7 assists (3.1 turnovers), 2 steals, 1.1 blocks

George falls short in pretty much every category except scoring. His playmaking ability is nowhere near Pippen's yet and that's the main aspect of his game that needs a lot of work. Pippen's ability to run an offense would come in handy when you think of Indiana's point guard woes.

Banned

George is still young at 23 Pippen was averaging 14/6/3.

Compared to George this season averaging 24/6/3

Seeing how much improvement we have seen from PG two years ago until this season I think that playmaking will be on top of his list, he has already proven himself as a scorer, defender and a leader.

We saw the same development curve from Durant following his fifth season where he started emphasizing more on playmaking, especially after Harden left. I think PG can get 25/8/5 in his prime while playing great defense, I would rank that as better than the little ive seen from Pippen.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    People been overrating George for awhile now. He's been impressive, but the hyperbole around his abilities is absurd. He's actually most overrated as a defender, his most redeeming attribute. He's definitely not the team, intelligent defender Pippen was. He's a slightly better offensive ISO, shot creator I think. Easily a less intelligent player, and shot creator for others. Below average passing abilities. He's definitely not McGrady level on offense. But he's getting better.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzly
    George is still young at 23 Pippen was averaging 14/6/3.

Compared to George this season averaging 24/6/3

Seeing how much improvement we have seen from PG two years ago until this season I think that playmaking will be on top of his list, he has already proven himself as a scorer, defender and a leader.

We saw the same development curve from Durant following his fifth season where he started emphasizing more on playmaking, especially after Harden left. I think PG can get 25/8/5 in his prime while playing great defense, I would rank that as better than the little ive seen from Pippen.
    Pippen was only in his 2nd NBA season at age 23 and coming off back surgery on top of that. Not a good comparison. And let's hope Paul George isn't on Durant's development curve when it comes to his playmaking ability because it took KD until his 6th season to start averaging more assists than turnovers. George's playmaking skills this year have actually regressed from last year if that's possible.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    Not really.

George - 23.5ppg (46% shooting), 6 rebs, 3.5 assists (2.7 turnovers), 2 steals, 0.3 blocks
    Pippen - 21.0ppg (50% shooting), 7.7 rebs, 7 assists (3.1 turnovers), 2 steals, 1.1 blocks

George falls short in pretty much every category except scoring. His playmaking ability is nowhere near Pippen's yet and that's the main aspect of his game that needs a lot of work. Pippen's ability to run an offense would come in handy when you think of Indiana's point guard woes.
    I said similar numbers to a prime Pippen, not peak Pippen. There's a difference.

Pippen in his prime averaged something like 20/7/5 which IMO is similar enough to 24/6/3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlamb47
    PG in his prime will probably be like Tmac on offsne and Pippen on defense.
    Sheesh thats like GOAT level if that happened. I think we're so eager to find that next superstar that we're overrating the hell out of this guy.

In the all around sense on both sides of the ball, Bron, Pippen, Hill, and Hondo are the premier SF's of all time in that regard. So if George keeps getting better and lives up to his potential (which it looks like he's doing CLEARLY), he will be in a very elite class of SF's historically. Scoring skillset wise, he reminds me more of T-Mac than anybody. So George is indeed a unique kind of player.