Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Lettuce be real Magic is only PG in history who played at higher level than CP3

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpursGo1984
    I agree I laugh when people say he is an all time great. Forget all time great what has he even done to be a Hall of Famer? He has no MVP, not even reached the Finals all he has done is put up stats in the regular season. If that is all it takes to be an all team great then I guess Kevin Love must be an all time great to.
    I know I brought up Love, but I didn't want to compare the two. Paul has been on playoff teams. Teams that have exceeded expectations...won playoff games. Won playoff series.

Love hasn't even made the playoffs yet.

I don't think the two are comparable and I think Paul is a legit top 10 pg ever.

But I do think the overall point is valid...at what point do we stop ignoring all results? Kevin Love is simply not as good as his numbers. It's just really a fact at this point. If he was on par with some of the best pf's ever....his team would be winning 55 plus this year with what he has for help and coach.

It's just obvious at this point.

I want to make it clear that I don't view Paul the same, but at some point he has to actually do something in the playoffs...IF IF IF IF IF...he and his fans want to separate him from all the other great pg's we've mentioned.

Default Re: Lettuce be real Magic is only PG in history who played at higher level than CP3

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I want to make it clear that I don't view Paul the same, but at some point he has to actually do something in the playoffs...IF IF IF IF IF...he and his fans want to separate him from all the other great pg's we've mentioned.
    What did Oscar Robertson, a player greater than Paul do in the playoffs the 10 years before Kareem? The exact same thing that Paul did, actually even worse because he missed the postseason twice in his prime. What does that tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    What did Oscar Robertson, a player greater than Paul do in the playoffs the 10 years before Kareem? The exact same thing that Paul did, actually even worse because he missed the postseason twice in his prime. What does that tell you?
    So what? I didn't get to see Oscar. So I can't really comment. You act like I'm only using team success. I'm not.

I'm saying that if Paul wants to separate himself from the guys that we are talking about...he has to do more. And the crazy thing is...YOU AGREE! Or why not just claim he's the clear cut 2nd or 3rd best pg ever? You don't do that...and you know why. Paul hasn't done enough to date in terms of his play and team success to warrant it.

I like how a guy like Kidd played more than Paul at the pg position. Has nothing to do with the Nets making it far in the playoffs...although it is nice to at least see what Kidd is like deep in the playoffs.

So in terms of Oscar...all I can go off of is listening to historians of the game speak on the subject. And it's near unanimous from what I've read and seen that Oscar was flat out a better player than Paul.

I rule the local playground GoSpursGo1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I know I brought up Love, but I didn't want to compare the two. Paul has been on playoff teams. Teams that have exceeded expectations...won playoff games. Won playoff series.

Love hasn't even made the playoffs yet.

I don't think the two are comparable and I think Paul is a legit top 10 pg ever.

But I do think the overall point is valid...at what point do we stop ignoring all results? Kevin Love is simply not as good as his numbers. It's just really a fact at this point. If he was on par with some of the best pf's ever....his team would be winning 55 plus this year with what he has for help and coach.

It's just obvious at this point.

Maybe that was a bad example but I think you got the point. Players should not be considered all time greats if they can not even get to the Conference Finals. I think Carmelo Anthony may be a better example since he puts up big points numbers and has been to the Western Conference Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    I laughed at thread title. CP3 isn't even better than Kevin Johnson.
    90 Kevin Johnson's playoff run was pretty impressive. He got hurt in the WCF, right ?

In Barkley's first 7 seasons as the best player on his team he got passed the 2nd round 0 times.

Before he teamed up with Kareem, Oscar took 10 years to get past the 2nd round.

KG took 8 years to get past the 1st round.

At this point of their careers were these guys not top 5 players to play their position either (not talking career wise, just ability wise)?

Were they "not as good as their stats" either?

Or were their teams (because of lack of help) just in worse positions to win than the teams beating them in those seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    In Barkley's first 7 seasons as the best player on his team he got passed the 2nd round 0 times.

Before he teamed up with Kareem, Oscar took 10 years to get past the 2nd round.

KG took 8 years to get past the 1st round.

At this point of their careers were these guys not top 5 players to play their position either (not talking career wise, just ability wise)?

Were they "not as good as their stats" either?

Or were their teams (because of lack of help) just in worse positions to win than the teams beating them in those seasons?
    But you confuse the arguments. Who is saying Paul isn't as good as his stats? I said that about Love, but not about Paul. I just don't think Paul is better than his stats...while I think guys like Kidd and Payton were better than their stats.

Nobody is denying that Paul is an all time great guard...this is why I keep asking who you are debating with?

Also, actually...yes...KG shouldn't have been on par with Karl Malone before he showed what he could do in 04. Barkley needed to 93 to solidify his place among all time great power forwards...

Sometimes it's hard to get a read on guys until they play in the playoffs and play under at least the lights of a conference finals.

Again...just look at Kevin Love. We all know he doesn't deserve to be put on that level. Yet on your logic Love should be a top 5 or so pf of all time based on his play. Doesn't work like that. It's too easy to put up big stats on average teams...hell, even good teams, in the NBA.

But again...nobody is saying Paul isn't in that tier of pg's you claim he's in. Literally everyone is basically agreeing Paul is an all time great pg and at least top 10 or so.

What we are saying is simple. If he wants to separate himself from some of those guys...he needs to do something more than just put up great numbers. That is all.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Playoff RONDO >>>>>>>>> cp3 ...

Form a ****ing wall DetroitPiston's Avatar

I like Chris Paul, but I'm not overlooking Zeke (Who changed his game so he could win), Magic, Kidd, Oscar, or Payton. If his career were to end today, he'd be another John Stockton, great in the regular season, but meh in the playoffs.