Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Spurs & Blazers 1&2 and both teams on a 7 game win streak

Blazers hot start can be attributed to their shooting of the three ball at an unsustainable clip. No way they keep shooting it this well as a team, plus they don't have viable paint scoring options when the jump shots stop falling (they will).
    They should still make the playoffs though, just as a lower seed.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brook(lyn)Lopez
    Blazers hot start can be attributed to their shooting of the three ball at an unsustainable clip. No way they keep shooting it this well as a team, plus they don't have viable paint scoring options when the jump shots stop falling (they will).
    They should still make the playoffs though, just as a lower seed.
    They are shooting 3s this well because of the offense they are running is getting them wide open 3s. It is similar to the 2011 Mavs offense. I don't know if they will sustain their three point shooting, but I believe it is sustainable for the most part.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    They are shooting 3s this well because of the offense they are running is getting them wide open 3s. It is similar to the 2011 Mavs offense. I don't know if they will sustain their three point shooting, but I believe it is sustainable for the most part.
    They are shooting .422% on about 10 a game. Keep in mind the highest 3 point field goal percentage for a team in a whole season was .428 1996-1997 Charlotte Hornets. I'm not sure how many attempts they took that year per game, but it's rare for a team to shoot over .400 on three point attempts for a whole season.

Same thing will happen to the Warriors, they are shooting .460 on 3 pointers for the season, no way they sustain that.

Are you a Blazer fan? Why would you want them to win? They can't win a playoff series with this roster. Why not tank for picks?
    If you have respect for yourself, you win out in the end.

They already have a franchise player. What are they tanking for exactly? A superstar whom they won't be able to afford to re-sign?

With the financial rules the NBA has now there is simply no reason to draft a great player. You aim to draft okay players who won't get noticed.

Lillard will be a top 20 player in the game for fifteen years. He's loyal and solid by nature, a guy you build around.

The Pacers never tanked for a pick, neither did the Spurs. Miami is dirty and dishonorable, but it wasn't tanking that made them what they are. It's the teams that "draft well" that get shafted, like OKC, which will probably never ever win a title despite drafting better than any team since Showtime.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton

They already have a franchise player. What are they tanking for exactly? A superstar whom they won't be able to afford to re-sign?

With the financial rules the NBA has now there is simply no reason to draft a great player. You aim to draft okay players who won't get noticed.

Lillard will be a top 20 player in the game for fifteen years. He's loyal and solid by nature, a guy you build around.

The Pacers never tanked for a pick, neither did the Spurs. Miami is dirty and dishonorable, but it wasn't tanking that made them what they are. It's the teams that "draft well" that get shafted, like OKC, which will probably never ever win a title despite drafting better than any team since Showtime.
    You kidding me bro, where were you in the 90's?
    Did you forget the Spurs losing The Admiral for the season the year before Duncan was drafted. Once he was out, they tanked big time for Duncan, and lucked out and got him. They got lucky as hell, and for all the consistency they had with Duncan, they wouldn't win multiple championships without tanking to get him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

They are shooting .422% on about 10 a game. Keep in mind the highest 3 point field goal percentage for a team in a whole season was .428 1996-1997 Charlotte Hornets. I'm not sure how many attempts they took that year per game, but it's rare for a team to shoot over .400 on three point attempts for a whole season.

Same thing will happen to the Warriors, they are shooting .460 on 3 pointers for the season, no way they sustain that.
    My point is that they can remain a top level 3 point shooting team all season. I'm not even going to pretend to guess what their % will be for the season.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

You kidding me bro, where were you in the 90's?
    Did you forget the Spurs losing The Admiral for the season the year before Duncan was drafted. Once he was out, they tanked big time for Duncan, and lucked out and got him. They got lucky as hell, and for all the consistency they had with Duncan, they wouldn't win multiple championships without tanking to get him.
    How many games did you expect that Spurs roster minus Robinson to win?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton

Yeah, tanking would basically be saying to Lillard that "we don't think you are good enough" which is not something you want to do to a rising star. Only thing I would like to see from Lillard is a little better shot selection. Shooting 7 threes per game is a little much for me with the type of skill he has. I think in the next 2 years he will really improve his PnR game which will vault him to a higher level.

Also, Portland has a great fanbase who would not take kindly to tanking. A small market team can't really afford to purposely isolate their fans and players by tanking and crossing their fingers at the lottery/draft.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Why would blazers tank? They got Batum/Lilliard/Mathews/Aldridge... Thats a beast two way lineup. By the time Wiggins or whoever they got was in his prime 3 out of 4 of those guys would be exiting their primes.