Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Default Re: GT: Denver @ OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerRed
    Definitely see where you're coming from. Very similar thus far. They did make the finals that year though.
    It's exciting and really stressful at the same time. It's at least a little bit encouraging simply because we've seen in most games that OKC is still really damn good when they're locked in. I mean they were down 14 (can't remember if it was early 4th or late 3rd quarter) on the road against a Golden State team that was shooting the lights out. Then they locked in on defense, the Warriors didn't make a 3 in the 4th, and were able to come back and make it a tightly contested game by the 2 or 3 minute mark.

They had no business winning against the Wizards and I thought we were really f***ed after Westbrook got ejected and we were still down 10 points with 3 minutes to go. Then Durant, Reggie, and Serge just took over on offense, and the team as a whole played great defense.

Same thing tonight. Really had no business winning that game. Their defense was incredibly lazy and just flatout awful for 3 quarters. Yes, Denver was hitting some tough shots, but they were also getting plenty of open looks from 3, and their drives to the basket were met with almost no resistance from help side defenders. And then the 4th starts with a Fournier 3 to make it a 12 point game, and comeback seemed hopeless. But OKC wakes up and focuses on defense, and holds the Nuggets to 10 points over the next 10 minutes of the quarter -- basically before Lawson's two baskets and the FT's the Nuggets made with under a minute to go. But their defense during that stretch (with about 11:30 to go in the 4th to about 1:00 to go in the 4th) was active and suffocating.

Basically, I say all that to say this. There are some pros to a team who can play disinterested, lifeless basketball for 3 quarters, flip a switch, and erase a double digit 4th quarter deficit and win or nearly win the game. It's a sign that, when focused (think Miami numerous times the last few years), they're really freakin' good. But playing that way can also develop some bad habits and some nights you're just not going to be able to completely work your way out of a 10-14 point 4th quarter hole.

And I don't think it's 100% attributable to "we don't care" syndrome. I think some of it is OKC incorporating several young, inexperienced players into the rotation -- Lamb, Adams, PJ3, and Reggie to a lesser extent (first full season Reggie is a part of the rotation and he's getting a heavy bump in minutes). I also think some of it is due to Durant being two things: 1.) he has been listless and has coasted through long stretches of quite a few games and 2.) he's being even more intentional in passing up good shots to kick out to a shooter or dump off to a big. He said it last year at some point during the season, but he's more conscious about building his teammates' confidence during the regular season so they'll (hopefully) be confident in the playoffs. And this year, it seems like he's taking it a step further since there's so many young players getting relatively heavy minutes.
    Last edited by KG215; 11-19-2013 at 04:16 AM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    And I don't think it's 100% attributable to "we don't care" syndrome. I think some of it is OKC incorporating several young, inexperienced players into the rotation -- Lamb, Adams, PJ3, and Reggie to a lesser extent (first full season Reggie is a part of the rotation and he's getting a heavy bump in minutes). I also think some of it is due to Durant being two things: 1.) he has been listless and has coasted through long stretches of quite a few games and 2.) he's being even more intentional in passing up good shots to kick out to a shooter or dump off to a big. He said it last year at some point during the season, but he's more conscious about building his teammates' confidence during the regular season so they'll (hopefully) be confident in the playoffs. And this year, it seems like he's taking it a step further since there's so many young players getting relatively heavy minutes.
    I see a lot of this happening TBH.

Durant has consistently passed up good shooting or driving opportunities in order to get other players involved.

Getting the younger players up and going is important, even if it is frustrating to see some of the ups and downs that they experience throughout the season.

Even though Westbrook is the top scoring PG in the NBA right now, he still isn't back to top shape, and once he is IMO, that will make an even more significant boost to the team.

Hopefully by the playoffs, GOATbrook is back to his elite form, Durant is being Durant, Ibaka continues to be a viable 3rd scoring option and the young new players have become comfortable and effective playing a more prominent role.

OKC were also HORRIBLE in the first half on the defensive glass. They gave up so many points from Denver offensive rebounds.

I really don't think OKC should be cruising. Unlike Miami, they haven't proved anything. They should have a lot of hunger after the last few years and should be out to prove they're the best in the west and be destroying teams. It's a bit odd.. yes the youngsters do have a little to do with it too.
    Not exactly sure on his shooting numbers, but it looks like this year Durant is shooting pretty terrible in comparison to last year too, and Westbrook seems to be a bit rusty on his finishing and his turnovers. I've noticed Serge taking less deep twos which seemed to be a constant thing last year and he was hitting them, whereas today I maybe saw him shoot 1-2.

Edit: Also whoever negged me from this thread for talking unbiased basketball "**** yeah. You're a ****", really?
    Last edited by BlazerRed; 11-19-2013 at 04:52 AM.