Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

Default Re: Laker News: Steve Nash injured...AGAIN. Won't play 2014-15 season

does Nash's $9mil come off our cap? that would get us under.....

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by magicmanfan
    does Nash's $9mil come off our cap? that would get us under.....
    Not all of it. I think they're putting in for the injured players exception. That would cover quite a bit. They're also looking to trade him. It's an expiring contract so there could be teams with interest in that.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Not all of it. I think they're putting in for the injured players exception. That would cover quite a bit. They're also looking to trade him. It's an expiring contract so there could be teams with interest in that.
    Yeah, I believe injured players exception covers like $5 million of the $9 million.

I hope we can get a trade done before deadline. Need a good role-player through trade because next summer is when Lakers have plans to rebuild. Just one good role-player can help jump-start that. This season is a wash.

NBA lottery pick

I actually don't want to see anything that can help the team this season. I want to see Kobe tear it up this season and then see the team get a top 5 pick. I'd want to see them get a pick in return. It's too bad there's no way to just get a pick (even a 2nd rounder) for him. That's the best way for this team to rebuild, with lottery picks. Then with the cap space they have if they can get a solid player the team will at least be able to contend for the playoffs.

so Steve Nash isn't professor murder

confirmed

I rule the local playground

Default Steve Nash: Open Letter to Fans

[QUOTE]I definitely don't want to be a distraction, but I felt it best everyone heard from me in my own words.

I have a ton of miles on my back. Three buldging disks (a tear in one), stenosis of the nerve route and spondylolisthesis. I suffer from sciatica and after games I often can't sit in the car on the drive home, which has made for some interesting rides. Most nights I'm bothered by severe cramping in both calves while I sleep, a result of the same damn nerve routes, and the list goes on somewhat comically. That's what you deserve for playing over 1,300 NBA games. By no means do I tell you this for sympathy - especially since I see these ailments as badges of honor - but maybe I can bring some clarity.

I've always been one of the hardest workers in the game and I say that at the risk of what it assumes. The past 2 years I've worked like a dog to not only overcome these setbacks but to find the form that could lift up and inspire the fans in LA as my last chapter. Obviously it's been a disaster on both fronts but I've never worked harder, sacrificed more or faced such a difficult challenge mentally and emotionally.

I understand why some fans are disappointed. I haven't been able to play a lot of games or at the level we all wanted. Unfortunately that's a part of pro sports that happens every year on every team. I wish desperately it was different. I want to play more than anything in the world. I've lost an incredible amount of sleep over this disappointment.

Competitiveness, professionalism, naivet

Default Do you take issue with what Nash is doing to the Lakers

Nash is out for the year but is still collecting 9 million from the Lakers, he has decided to not show up to the team facility once this season and has been absent from the games. If I'm the Lakers I'd be disappointed, I would want Nash working with Clarkson and even Lin. Recently he posted a video on his Insta of himself playing some golf and he received a lot of hate for it.

Thoughts? Should Nash still be a part of this team or should he just take a paid year off.

Banned

Default Re: Do you take issue with what Nash is doing to the Lakers

Somewhat, but his issues are due to injury..Other the otherhand it's ridiculous for someone to be paid for a service that they're unable to perform due to negligence/lack of care/non injury related decline

Imagine if the shoe were on the other foot. After a player lived up to expectations, an owner then couldn't pay their salary due to bankruptcy. Could you imagine the shit show that would create?

Only in the sports world do you see absolute guaranteed contracts with no early termination option to avoid paying the full terms of the contract. In the standard business world, these contracts have an early termination severance package which will save the businesses in case their employee is unable to perform at the level which he was signed on to do.

In a perfect world, all contracts would be performance based from year to year. Injuries would guarantee a full salary for a calendar year but only that year. The contract could be terminated after that 1 year for no penalty.
    Last edited by Joyner82reload; 11-10-2014 at 06:55 PM.

i understand why hes doing it. But it looks bad as people regard steve as a class act and what not. But hey if someone was going to offer me 9 m to sit around all year. Why not? You only have one life to earn and set up the rest of your family. Do what ya gotta do.

He should donate $1million to charity and everyone will get off his back.

But it's his money he can do whatever he wants with it.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Why should i be mad at him for getting hurt? Maybe he should be more of a presence as a pseudo coach but that won't do much good. If old stars could improve young players just by talking to them no one would need coaches. It's up to the Lakers to ask him to coach anyhow. If they asked and he refused that would be kinda wrong.

I'm sure Nash and those writing his pay stubs have had numerous discussions regarding what they require of him, whether it be to remain on the sidelines, or disappear into an oblivion. Anyone in his shoes would be doing the exact same thing he's doing.

I don't really see any problem with it but when you post videos of you playing golf to me that's kind if rubbing salt on it.

Nash explain's his golfing video etc...

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/1...o-lakers-fans/

Banned

Not really, it's hard to single him out in a league that's had scenarios like this many times in the past. Nash isn't doing anything personally to them and I would assume if the lakers wanted him to be doing things differently they would have the power to do that. Most contracts have requirements for attending things and they need permission not to attend. if he were refusing the lakers demands they could probably terminate his contract couldn't they?