Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Did Wilts "100 point game" actually happen?

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    This is a dumb conspiracy. If it never happened, then you would have had players and other people there claiming that it never happened, that it was planned. Out of the 4,000 people who saw it, reporters there, you would have heard somebody come forward saying that he never did score that much. (The only way that such a conspiracy would work if it was backed by the US government, with them having the authority of silencing people. And even then some people would still let others know.)

Edit: I'm listening to the CavaliersFTW audio of the game. Are the play by play guys also in on the conspiracy? If so, they mention that they're in Hershey Pennsylvanian, did they forget to tell them that they should have said Madison Square Garden? I mean, if they're in on the conspiracy of making mainstream America think that Wilt Scored 100 points in Madison Square Garden then surely they must have told them to say they're in Madison Square Garden.
    the NBA had a whole bunch of 50 year anniversary specials about this just last year; but since OP is like 13 yo he doesn't remember as far back as 18 months ago..... therefore that never happened either.

Anniversary specials that never happened, celebrating something that never happened. Pretty crazy world, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Last time I checked, there is no footage available from the vast majority of Wilt's and his contemporaries' games, either. So, why not apply the same (ridiculous) "theory" for the rest of his games? Just because his scoring output was more believable? Was the whole 50 ppg season a sham, just to increase the NBA's popularity?

And if it didn't happen, what did actually happen instead at that date? Show us any info that may contribute to the original post being taken even remotely seriously.
    C'mon, the fact was Wilt was able to pull of the greatest sports conspiracy of all-time. The man convinced the players, coaches, sportwriters, announcers, and even the fans watching his games, to go along with his charade. The hundreds of records that he still holds...didn't happen. Even the footage that does exist, ...all of it was altered.

Even Santa Claus, himself, scoffs at these "Wilt-myths."

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

The credibility of everyone to ever register here is damaged by this topic.

Serious playground baller Donkey4trading's Avatar

It's really not that crazy

How do you account for Wilt miraculously shooting 28-32 from the line when he was a career 51% shooter from the free throw line.

How do you account for no game ball? A huge game like this obviously somebody would think to keep the ball..right?

Even in a recent interview Al Attles complained that everybody he talks to believes they lost he game in which Wilt scored 100, he said its one of the things that bothers him most was that so many people thought they had lost that game. Why do so many people have a different memory of what happened?

Nobody can even tell you if Wilt scored his 100th point with a dunk or a lay up.

Really, there's alot of questions here that don't have answers, 28-32 from the line due to a new shooting form, that Wilt claimed he never used after that game..coming from the same guy who claimed to have killed a mountain lion with his bare hands..

Can anybody explain how a 51% FT shooter somehow shot 28-32 from the line one game and why would be decide to never use that form again? Somebody who was as stat conscious as Wilt finds a way to increase his FT% ten fold and then decides never to use it again...

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey4trading

How do you account for Wilt miraculously shooting 28-32 from the line when he was a career 51% shooter from the free throw line.

How do you account for no game ball? A huge game like this obviously somebody would think to keep the ball..right?

Even in a recent interview Al Attles complained that everybody he talks to believes they lost he game in which Wilt scored 100, he said its one of the things that bothers him most was that so many people thought they had lost that game. Why do so many people have a different memory of what happened?

Nobody can even tell you if Wilt scored his 100th point with a dunk or a lay up.

Really, there's alot of questions here that don't have answers, 28-32 from the line due to a new shooting form, that Wilt claimed he never used after that game..coming from the same guy who claimed to have killed a mountain lion with his bare hands..

Can anybody explain how a 51% FT shooter somehow shot 28-32 from the line one game and why would be decide to never use that form again? Somebody who was as stat conscious as Wilt finds a way to increase his FT% ten fold and then decides never to use it again...
    Chamberlain MADE 835 FTs in that 61-62 season (and shot .613 in the process), which is the second greatest season in NBA history.

Wilt changed his FT shooting technique several times over the course of his career. He actually shot FTs better in college (and his form looked much better BTW.)

Furthermore, Wilt had a range of 15+ feet, and there is college footage of him hitting jump shots from just beyond the FT stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey4trading

Misleading. Career was 51% FT. But on that particular season was 61% FT. Even Shaq had gone 13/13 and 16/18 from the FT line.

Game ball theory was dumb. Even if he "only" scored 80, that would be the highest score ever, thus would still be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    False. Never did they ever average '50%' more possessions per game. Anytime you talk about possessions per game it has been proven time and again you straight up lie, and cannot cite any of the numbers to a reliable source. At what point are you going to acknowledge your mistakes (or should I call them lies?) Pauk?
    The only one who lies here is you.. to yourself.... the very proven estimated average for NBA teams in the 60s was 125, teams like Celtics average the most with claims of up to 140....

Never have i nor you nor anybody seen a single bulletin claiming lesser or equal poss. per game / pace compared to the modern era (especially today) for any of the 60s teams.... but ALL claim more, MUCH more....

...and i have been proven wrong? I? Me? First of all, its not "me" you are proving wrong... its FACTS... ALL FACTS..... and last but not least, did i miss something? Proven wrong? Where? How? When? Show me! Oh pretty please!! I beg you!!

Would love to see if there is such proof out there, i mean... i have been searching for it my entire life! wowzers!!

Here are the so called "lies" just randomly searching on google:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=1423

http://doubledribble.wordpress.com/2...djusted-stats/

http://hoops-nation.com/community/to...ce-in-the-60s/

http://hoops-nation.com/community/to...e-pace-in-60s/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...ted-nba-legend

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...lphia-warriors

You could go on forever.........

Not to mention all the books who talk about that subject.... all say the same thing.... ALL....

SO PLEASE, SHOW ME WHERE I HAVE BEEN "PROVEN WRONG"......... BECAUSE THERE IS ---->ZERO<---- FACTS OR EVEN FANTASY CLAIMS TO WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY.........

60s averaged more poss. per game / higher pace than ANY decade in NBA history..... thats a very true fact which everybody knows i think...

...and please dont act like i am trying to discredit the 60s... the point is nothing but notifying that the league was different....... thats where everything stops.... how about you? whats your point?

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    The only one who lies here is you.. to yourself.... the very proven estimated average for NBA teams in the 60s was 125, teams like Celtics average the most with claims of up to 140...
    Where ?

I never saw that in any of those links that it states 125-140 possessions as an estimate or a fact (I don't have an account on Hoops Nation either).

Their asking you where your getting those numbers, not whether the pace was high back then or not.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    And then paid off all the spectators, coaches, teammates and opponents to lie about it too? Yeah that's much more likely than him actually just having a hot night
    How would the spectators, coaches, teammates or opponents even know he had 100 points? There was no player scoreboard back then, there was just the team score and time remaining in the quarter.

The only ones that would know are the statkeepers. Spectating fans don't keep track of how many points Wilt scores. Coaches sure as hell don't and players are actually focused on winning the game.

It's really statkeepers word against all else here. We know statkeepers can be bought too, sometimes they're incredibly lenient, especially hometown statkeepers.

I just find it funny people take Wilt scoring 100 points as a given. Details of the actual game are scarcely documented. In conclusion, it just seems fishy to me, there's very little evidence to support it ever happening. Do you take the guy's word for it? I mean he did claim to wrestle mountain lions with his bare hands. I wouldn't say scoring 100 points in a basketball game is much more far-fetched than that.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    How would the spectators, coaches, teammates or opponents even know he had 100 points? There was no player scoreboard back then, there was just the team score and time remaining in the quarter.

The only ones that would know are the statkeepers. Spectating fans don't keep track of how many points Wilt scores. Coaches sure as hell don't and players are actually focused on winning the game.

It's really statkeepers word against all else here. We know statkeepers can be bought too, sometimes they're incredibly lenient, especially hometown statkeepers.

I just find it funny people take Wilt scoring 100 points as a given. Details of the actual game are scarcely documented. In conclusion, it just seems fishy to me, there's very little evidence to support it ever happening. Do you take the guy's word for it? I mean he did claim to wrestle mountain lions with his bare hands. I wouldn't say scoring 100 points in a basketball game is much more far-fetched than that.

Of course the radio broadcast of the actual 4th quarter exists, and in which the broadcaster is recording everyone of Wilt's baskets and point totals throughout that quarter.

And that scorekeeper just happens to be in the basketball HOF.

Why it's not that hard to believe:

Philly scored 169 points.

If Wilt had scored 100 points, he'd have scored 59% of his team's points.

Kobe had scored 81 points, which was 66% of his team's points.

David Robinson had scored 71 points, which was 63% of his team's points.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    The only one who lies here is you.. to yourself.... the very proven estimated average for NBA teams in the 60s was 125, teams like Celtics average the most with claims of up to 140....

Never have i nor you nor anybody seen a single bulletin claiming lesser or equal poss. per game / pace compared to the modern era (especially today) for any of the 60s teams.... but ALL claim more, MUCH more....

...and i have been proven wrong? I? Me? First of all, its not "me" you are proving wrong... its FACTS... ALL FACTS..... and last but not least, did i miss something? Proven wrong? Where? How? When? Show me! Oh pretty please!! I beg you!!

Would love to see if there is such proof out there, i mean... i have been searching for it my entire life! wowzers!!

Here are the so called "lies" just randomly searching on google:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=1423

http://doubledribble.wordpress.com/2...djusted-stats/

http://hoops-nation.com/community/to...ce-in-the-60s/

http://hoops-nation.com/community/to...e-pace-in-60s/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...ted-nba-legend

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...lphia-warriors

You could go on forever.........

Not to mention all the books who talk about that subject.... all say the same thing.... ALL....

SO PLEASE, SHOW ME WHERE I HAVE BEEN "PROVEN WRONG"......... BECAUSE THERE IS ---->ZERO<---- FACTS OR EVEN FANTASY CLAIMS TO WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY.........

60s averaged more poss. per game / higher pace than ANY decade in NBA history..... thats a very true fact which everybody knows i think...

...and please dont act like i am trying to discredit the 60s... the point is nothing but notifying that the league was different....... thats where everything stops.... how about you? whats your point?
    These 140 possessions are pure rubbish and you know it.

One more damn time...

The NBA, at it's peak, averaged 118.8 ppg, on 108 FGA and 37 FTAs per game...and in a league which had an eFG% of .426 and a FT% of .727. And, if you subtract TEAM rebounds, which were no longer added to totals after the 67-68 season, the average NBA team had about 62 rpg. THAT is all you need to know. From there you can do the math comparisons of ANY NBA season.

For example, Chamberlain's 50.4 ppg 61-62 season translates to about 40-41 ppg in 2012-2013, and to about 45-46 ppg in MJ's 86-87 season.

Another example...the NBA shot an even 75% as many FGAs in 2012-2013 as in 61-62, and rebounded at a 67% pace.

Furthermore, you HAVE to adjust for eFG%'s, or the numbers will be horribly skewed. For example, in the 61-62 season, if you adjust for the "pace" of FGA and FTAs, but do not adjust for the eFG%'s variance, the 61-62 NBA would have only averaged 86 ppg in the 2012-2013 season, and in an NBA that averaged 98 ppg.You simply can't adjust purely based on "pace" with out adjusting the eFG%.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 11-03-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Where ?

I never saw that in any of those links that it states 125-140 possessions as an estimate or a fact (I don't have an account on Hoops Nation either).

Their asking you where your getting those numbers, not whether the pace was high back then or not.
    Ahem:

Serious question pauk: From where did you get the 140 possessions a game estimate? I've seen you cite it numerous times, but you've never provided calculations or a source. There have been exactly three attempts at estimating pace in the basketball statistics community:

ElGee (6 >= 130, highest 135.9): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rowsperpage=25

basketball-reference.com (5 >= 130, highest 133.3): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rowsperpage=25

Dean Oliver (3>= 130, highest 132.9): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rowsperpage=25

Now I don't care about Wilt, but I've seen you casually throw this 140 number around enough that I had to intervene. If you have calculations/a valid source with specific mentions of 140+ possessions then please provide it, otherwise stop spreading misinformation. Not everybody will put the work in to investigate, and might take that post as fact.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Ahem:
    good ol' pawk, doing anything and everything he can to belittle past greats, even stooping to making up false numbers, so his boy looks better

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Enters thread about Wilt

Sees Pauk and 3 of his account promoting Lebron propaganda.

Leaves