Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Charles Barkley's top 5 and top 10:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4175361.html

"I have Michael [Jordan] at No. 1. Oscar [Robertson] at No. 2. Then Wilt [Chamberlain], Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar] and [Bill] Russell," Barkley said. "I have Kobe [Bryant], LeBron, Tim Duncan, Jerry West and Elgin Baylor after that. Those are my top 10. Those second five fluctuate, but who do I take off my top five?"
    Interestingly, no Dr. J (former teammate), no Larry or Magic or Shaq (former opponents / dream team teammates) but he certainly has room for ALL 5 of the mt rushmore of dominant 60s legends over top of those guys. 4 of his top 5 are 'Wilt Chamberlain era' players.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 10-30-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Default Re: Charles Barkley's top 5 and top 10:

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4175361.html

Interestingly, no Dr. J (former teammate), no Larry or Magic or Shaq (former opponents / dream team teammates) but he certainly has room for ALL 5 of the mt rushmore of dominant 60s legends over top of those guys. 4 of his top 5 are 'Wilt Chamberlain era' players.
    Bird is without question the best Celtic player of all time. There is no argument for anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Bird is without question the best Celtic player of all time. There is no argument for anybody else.
    Red Aurbach saw Bird's entire career, and he thinks Bill Russell was the best.

Red Aurbach's opinion on this particular subject >>> your opinion on this particular subject

Remember that TNT all-time fantasy draft or whatever. Didn't Barkley take Iverson #1 overall?

Red Aurbach's opinion on this particular subject >>> your opinion on this particular subject
    Oh, so Red is the only person to ever voice an opinion on this? Or, are you just choosing the opinion that supports your own?

NBA sixth man of the year

He could still be biased because he coached Russell for such a long time...He just watched Bird but I don't know if he actually knew him as a person like he knows Russell. I'm not taking Russell over Bird...Not if I want a guy to lead me to a championship and put the team on his back from a scoring/playmaking standpoint...

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Remember that TNT all-time fantasy draft or whatever. Didn't Barkley take Iverson #1 overall?
    Remember it was because he didn't understand he rules?

Even if he didn't, why would he take Iverson #1 anyway? If he thought he was picking a PG first, what was he doing picking AI?

Not airballing my layups anymore

I think he thought it was for all star game.

No I don't. I recall the rules being stated very clearly that he could pck anyone on the board and I thought he still knowingly chose Iverson. What did he think the rules were? Got a source?

EDIT: If he thought it was for an ASG, Iverson's not a bad choice. He was entertaining as all hell. But still, C'mon Chuck.

No I don't. I recall the rules being stated very clearly that he could pck anyone on the board and I thought he still knowingly chose Iverson. What did he think the rules were? Got a source?
    Stating = / = understanding. Watch the episode again, I'm sure it's on YT, he didn't understand the rules they were laughing at him for it the entire time

Local High School Star Bernie Nips's Avatar

Oh did he?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...7127/index.htm

Several weeks ago, at a $1,500-a-couple dinner honoring Bird, with the proceeds going to the New England Sports Museum, a $250,000 statue of Bird by Armand LaMontagne was unveiled. Auerbach stood up that night and said, "If I had to start a team, the one guy in all history I would take would be Larry Bird. This is the greatest ballplayer who ever played the game." To say this took an extraordinary amount of "soul-searching" on Auerbach's part. It meant that Bill Russell was No. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Nips
    Yes he did, he racanted that statement later in his life after he was done being a prisoner of the moment and had time to reflect on both players

Kinda like the people who quote rick barry calling Wilt a loser when they both competed at the same time, whilst today (and actuallly right after Wilt retired) he recanted apologized actually, and argues with anyone and everyone now that Wilt is the GOAT. People's minds can change when they have time to think and aren't caught up in the moment you know.

Local High School Star Bernie Nips's Avatar

Yes he did, he racanted that statement later in his life after he was done being a prisoner of the moment and had time to reflect on both players

Kinda like the people who quote rick barry calling Wilt a loser when they both competed at the same time, whilst today (and actuallly right after Wilt retired) he recanted apologized actually, and argues with anyone and everyone now that Wilt is the GOAT. People's minds can change when they have time to think and aren't caught up in the moment you know.
    Oh, well I'd be interested to read these words if you could provide them.

This is the actual quote from the article.

From this article:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...27/1/index.htm

"Auerbach stood up that night and said, "If I had to start a team, the one guy in all history I would take would be Larry Bird. This is the greatest ballplayer who ever played the game." To say this took an extraordinary amount of "soul-searching" on Auerbach's part. It meant that Bill Russell was No. 2."

Can you find where he recanted this statement? I was not aware that he had.
    Last edited by BIZARRO; 10-30-2013 at 06:23 PM.