Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Kanter vs Valanciunas

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    Besides being good young bigs, they really don't have anything in common.

Kanter has the body and skill-set to be a force on the offensive end, but doesn't have the agility or athleticism to be anything more than adequate on the defensive end.

Jonas is raw offensively, but he isn't some uncoordinated stiff. He can finish well and gets into good position to rack up offensive rebounds. His calling card right now is the defensive presence he provides. Only time will tell, but he does have the size and skill-set to be an above average offensive big. Not Kanter level, but I think the defensive edge will put Jonas over the top if both develop to their absolute ceiling.

You can throw out the garbage about Jonas not outplaying Aaron Gray, or anyone else that played center for the Raps last year. He outplayed them but the horrific coaching prevented him from playing big minutes. They refused to play him in crunch time because he was a rookie, and came into games with certain minute restrictions regardless of his play (good or bad).
    OT: Where the hell you been? Haven't seen you in ages. (Good post)

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

kanter - 20 points [8-22] ; 12 rebounds
    valanciunas - 4 points [2-5] ; 4 rebounds

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    OT: Where the hell you been? Haven't seen you in ages. (Good post)
    Thanks. I get tired of basketball every once in awhile, but am excited for some of the young guys this year. We shall see how long they hold my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    kanter - 20 points [8-22] ; 12 rebounds
    valanciunas - 4 points [2-5] ; 4 rebounds
    Very insightful and meaningful argument. Thanks.

very snarky and meaningless comment. thanks.

You do realize he posted stats for the first game as well, right? You're just coming across as an asshole, and I don't think you are one.

I'm don't think Valanciunas is going to going to come anywhere near his potential playing with DeMar and Rudy.

DeMar and Rudy combined for 46 shots. Val got 5.

Not sure who I prefer at this point, but I know posting their stats tonight means nothing. Val played 17 mins, Kanter 38. Val had 2 blocks and Kanter had 0 (in 38 minutes ). Val took 5 shots because his team never passes to him. Kanter took 22. Val was covered the entire 17 minutes he played by Al Horford, one of the best post defenders in the league. Kanter was covered by a half dead Channing Frye.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpibb
    You do realize he posted stats for the first game as well, right? You're just coming across as an asshole, and I don't think you are one.
    I'm actually plenty nice, but posting individual game stats is worthless. So many variables that negate any meaning one could take from them. Having a discussion based on individual game stats might seem fun to you, but I would suggest discussing after seeing a larger body of work (1/4 of season). Then we can look at stats, situations, etc.

Good idea?

exactly

i want to use this thread to track their games through the rest of the season

I'm actually plenty nice, but posting individual game stats is worthless. So many variables that negate any meaning one could take from them. Having a discussion based on individual game stats might seem fun to you, but I would suggest discussing after seeing a larger body of work (1/4 of season). Then we can look at stats, situations, etc.

Good idea?
    Okay, wise guy. Why bother posting in a thread that starts with the loaded question "would anyone take Kanter over JV at this point?"

Why don't you get back to me on that one while Kanter outplays JV "at this point."

Sound fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    exactly

i want to use this thread to track their games through the rest of the season
    Why? Can the members of this board not visit ESPN and see full statlines for both?

Let's be totally honest. You are posting stats in an attempt to make a point, hence picking and choosing what stats to post.

Why? Can the members of this board not visit ESPN and see full statlines for both?

Let's be totally honest. You are posting stats in an attempt to make a point, hence picking and choosing what stats to post.
    can't the members of this board not visit espn and use their conversation feature to discuss games rather than posting here?

f*ck outta here with that shit, you were just looking for an excuse to make a snarky, condescending comment

Okay, wise guy. Why bother posting in a thread that starts with the loaded question "would anyone take Kanter over JV at this point?"

Why don't you get back to me on that one while Kanter outplays JV "at this point."

Sound fair?
    Good discussion can be had despite obvious subjective posts (OP,etc). I bothered to post in this thread because of what I have seen thus far in their entire careers. I thought that it would be insightful to post my opinion of two young bigs, with promising careers.

If you have any responses to any of my sound arguments, feel free to fire back.

I agree. Makes no sense to post stats and leave out MINUTES and BLOCKS. I mean we're talking about two centres that anchor their team's defense.

But I certainly haven't been thrilled with what I've seen from Jonas so far. He's only 2 games passed his rookie season and has only been in North America for 13 months, so I'm not sure how comparing his and Kanter's nightly stats are going to mean anything.

Good discussion can be had despite obvious subjective posts (OP,etc). I bothered to post in this thread because of what I have seen thus far in their entire careers. I thought that it would be insightful to post my opinion of two young bigs, with promising careers.

If you have any responses to any of my sound arguments, feel free to fire back.
    I'm actually pretty sure we agree completely if you want to read my original post. But the poster that you called out was doing the same thing he did the last time the two played, and that just wasn't cool.