Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Kanter vs Valanciunas

Would anyone take Kanter over JV at this point ?

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Re: Kanter vs Valanciunas

i feel like i've seen more JV than i've seen Kanter and Kanter has been in the league an extra year.

Too early to tell. Although Kanter is more polished both have a long way to go developmentally.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Not many I'd take over Kanter. Unlimited potential abou to be realized!

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Not many I'd take over Kanter. Unlimited potential abou to be realized!
    ^ this

kanter had to play behind two top level big men for a few years. we can finally see how good he is as a starter this year

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    ^ this

kanter had to play behind two top level big men for a few years. we can finally see how good he is as a starter this year

i loved Kanter pre draft. I really hoped he would have fell to Cleveland but very happy with TT. He's been looking phenomenal lately.

^ this

but how does this figure into a comparison of JV and Kanter? Not saying you're wrong but you haven't necessarily proved your point.

You could argue the same for JV, who was routinely benched midway through the 3rd qtr of every game in order to limit his overall minutes and wear and tear in his rookie season.

There are no such restrictions now. He'll have extended minutes for the first time in his career as well, so I think the argument you make is kind of nullified.

I'll take JV. Taller, longer, more active defender, runs the floor as well as any C in the game. Kanter is a bull on the block, but JV has shown he can score in the post too. Kanter has a better face up game and a better pick and pop game though. But overall, there are not many bigs in the league that do what JV can do.

Banned

Havent seen any of JoVa yet but have liked what Ive seen from Kanter givin his age and experience. His NBA game is still a bit raw and timid but he seems to have good touch and def legit size. A lil more confidence could make him a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    but how does this figure into a comparison of JV and Kanter? Not saying you're wrong but you haven't necessarily proved your point.

You could argue the same for JV, who was routinely benched midway through the 3rd qtr of every game in order to limit his overall minutes and wear and tear in his rookie season.

There are no such restrictions now. He'll have extended minutes for the first time in his career as well, so I think the argument you make is kind of nullified.

I'll take JV. Taller, longer, more active defender, runs the floor as well as any C in the game. Kanter is a bull on the block, but JV has shown he can score in the post too. Kanter has a better face up game and a better pick and pop game though. But overall, there are not many bigs in the league that do what JV can do.

meaning he faced a herculean task to get minutes. if he's not getting minutes, how can he show what he's capable of? when he did play, he was extremely productive on a per minute basis. 7 points/4 rbs on good % in 15 minutes is strong.

who did jv have to compete with to get minutes? aaron gray lol? he was handed a lot of playing time and started almost every game on a team with zero ambition so hes had a lot of time and opportunities to adjust himself to the nba game. you cant simulate this stuff in practice.

long, legit 7 footers with his skill set come along more often than a guys with kanter's size and skills. i think kanter can average more pts and rbs on a similar level team than jv this season

meaning he faced a herculean task to get minutes. if he's not getting minutes, how can he show what he's capable of? when he did play, he was extremely productive on a per minute basis. 7 points/4 rbs on good % in 15 minutes is strong.

who did jv have to compete with to get minutes? aaron gray lol? he was handed a lot of playing time and started almost every game on a team with zero ambition so hes had a lot of time and opportunities to adjust himself to the nba game. you cant simulate this stuff in practice.

long, legit 7 footers with his skill set come along more often than a guys with kanter's size and skills. i think kanter can average more pts and rbs on a similar level team than jv this season
    I dont argue with the fact Kanter had to battle for minutes, but your assumption about JV is misinformed. he wasn't competing with Aaron Gray, he was competing with the coaching staff and management. it wasn't that someone was more talented, it was that they were consciously limiting his minutes.

And long, legit 7 footers come along more often than bruising PFs?...now i've seen everything.

I dont argue with the fact Kanter had to battle for minutes, but your assumption about JV is misinformed. he wasn't competing with Aaron Gray, he was competing with the coaching staff and management. it wasn't that someone was more talented, it was that they were consciously limiting his minutes.

And long, legit 7 footers come along more often than bruising PFs?...now i've seen everything.
    cut the condescending crap. you're misinformed when you pigeonhole kanter as simply as a bruiser. kanter is 6'11 with a 7'2 wingspan. he's a center and only a center. skilled, low post centers are a hell of a lot tougher to find these days than athletic 7 footers

Big unskilled guys come into the league far more frequently than bigs with legit offensive skills. That's pretty much a given.

cut the condescending crap. you're misinformed when you pigeonhole kanter as simply as a bruiser. kanter is 6'11 with a 7'2 wingspan. he's a center and only a center. skilled, low post centers are a hell of a lot tougher to find these days than athletic 7 footers
    if you read all my comments (which I know you have) you should have realized i have done no such thing.

I have said he has a good face up game and pick and pop game, and conceded that he does these things well. how can a complement be condescending? how is that pigeonholing him? all you have done isolate one comment I made about him and decontextualize my entire response.

and the fact that you totally disregard JV's post game further skews this argument. he is not Johan Petro, Saer Sene, Hasheem Thabeet et al. He already has considerable skill for a player of his physical abilities. the fact that you diminish those abilities to help your argument says more than enough to me.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Not many that can do what Kanter does either.

he's a center and only a center. skilled, low post centers are a hell of a lot tougher to find these days than athletic 7 footers
    He's not just a center. Corbin has said as much recently. It depends on match-ups who guards who. Kanter has been playing the stretch fours with Favors at the rim. He can play high and low post and Favors flashed that yesterday too. They are the same position in Utah's flex.

What we have seen for Kanter is that he works and continues to improve rapidly. Hard to say how good he will be. Didn't play his freshman year at Kentucky. Couldn't play for 6 months this year because of his shoulder injury.

game 1

kanter ; 14 points and 10 rebounds [6-10] ; 2 fouls and 1 turnover against the thunder
    valanciunas ; 8 points and 11 rebounds [4-9] ; 4 fouls and 3 turnovers against the celtics

game 1

kanter ; 14 points and 10 rebounds [6-10] ; 2 fouls and 1 turnover against the thunder
    valanciunas ; 8 points and 11 rebounds [4-9] ; 4 fouls and 3 turnovers against the celtics
    JV in a win, Kanter in a loss, JV 2 blocks, Kanter 1block. Include those aswell if u go for turnovers and fouls.