Default Re: Tony Soprano vs Walter White

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    Who the hell is Linus?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBuuT6x4IL4

he is in contention for sure

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Right, if we're going by BB 'logic', he would've had some outlandish and unrealistic plot contrivance and ungodly luck on his side. Like Hank would show up out of the blue somehow to save him at the last second after his initial plan to ricin up Tony's gabagool went awry.

But if we're going with the more reality based Sopranos universe, he gets curb stomped
    He wouldn't need none of that.

He'd just play with Tony's head.

You also forget that every show is contrived and has coincidences, that's not an excuse on BB's behalf, that's just reality. We can analyze every show/movie and we'll always have a coincidence.

What makes BB's stick out was the spectacle of it all.

3-time NBA All-Star

The Wire never had a 'main' or central character (except arguably McNulty), so no one from that show can hold the honor seeing as how they were all role players basically. They're the '04 Detroit Pistons of TV.

And Walter White isn't even top 10 all time, let's be serious. Not even the greatest on his own network right now.
    Umm let's be serious? Is there really that many great shows and great characters that saying walter white is top 10 is not serious?
    Last edited by guy; 10-04-2013 at 08:59 PM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Unless Walter somehow finds the time to make a light saber out of the lint in his pocket and his shoelaces or some other stupid Inspector Gadget shit and 'Heisenbergs' his way out as usual, he's getting curb stomped

True story. Tony was literally the definition of a badass.

***Possible Spoilers***

Case in point, following his being shot and recovering, he was being driven around by that body builder-esque guy. Tony felt he was starting to lose some of his power because he wasn't quite as strong as normal. So, he set up a situation wherein he beat the dogshit out of the jacked up guy in front of his whole crew.

Harkening back to the scene between Walt and Elliott where Elliott was threatening him with a paring knife, Walt is the one who would need "something bigger than that" against Tony Soprano.

Tony is the greatest antihero in television history. Can't think of anyone who even compares, quite honestly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    He wouldn't need none of that.

He'd just play with Tony's head.
    You act like Soprano was some dumb henchman goon. Dude was sharp as a tack, had an IQ of 136. May not have the high school chemistry teacher ability to build a remote controlled M-60 turret ( ). But he can hold his own in criminal politics. Tony was a MUCH more apt criminal than Walt and his incredibly lucky 1 month at the top.

The only thing that even saved MethGyver from a dumb henchman goon like Tuco was the aforementioned plot contrivance. And as far as physical abilities go, dude got his ass handed to him by punk ass Jesse Pinkman on more than one occasion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Rs8xoijQo

You're not much of a 'bad ass' if Jesse Pinkman can kick your ass

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

You act like Soprano was some dumb henchman goon. Dude was sharp as a tack, had an IQ of 136. May not have the high school chemistry teacher ability to build a remote controlled M-60 turret ( ). But he can hold his own in criminal politics. Tony was a MUCH more apt criminal than Walt and his incredibly lucky 1 month at the top.

The only thing that even saved MethGyver from a dumb henchman goon like Tuco was the aforementioned plot contrivance. And as far as physical abilities go, dude got his ass handed to him by punk ass Jesse Pinkman on more than one occasion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Rs8xoijQo

You're not much of a 'bad ass' if Jesse Pinkman can kick your ass
    YOu're arguing this as if they're real people

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Umm let's be serious? Is there really that many great shows and great characters that saying walter white is top 10 is a joke?
    Off the top of my head:

Tony Soprano
    Don Draper
    Homer Simpson
    Archie Bunker
    George Costanza
    Cosmo Kramer
    Ralph Kramden
    Fred Sanford
    Lucy Ricardo

Last spot/honorable mention: Omar Little, Ari Gold, The Fonz. I'm sure there's a bunch of iconic characters I missed, especially females. Speaking of which, Roseanne should be up there somewhere.

IMO the Jesse Pinkman character was the best on BB until they turned him into a crying mannequin in the final run.

Tony is the greatest antihero in television history. Can't think of anyone who even compares, quite honestly.
    Yup, easily. Like I said before, the rest just feel like (and really, are) just cheap imitations. I think the closest has been Draper, which makes sense considering his creator learned from the best.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 10-04-2013 at 09:10 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Off the top of my head:

Tony Soprano
    Don Draper
    Homer Simpson
    Archie Bunker
    George Costanza
    Cosmo Kramer
    Ralph Kramden
    Fred Sanford
    Lucy Ricardo

Last spot/honorable mention: Omar Little, Ari Gold, The Fonz. I'm sure there's a bunch of iconic characters I missed, especially females. Speaking of which, Roseanne should be up there somewhere.

IMO the Jesse Pinkman character was the best on BB until they turned him into a crying mannequin in the final run.

Yup, easily. Like I said before, the rest just feel like (and really, are) just cheap imitations. I think the closest has been Draper, which makes sense considering his creator learned from the best.
    Fair enough. I was mainly thinking about just dramas, cause I don't really know where to begin when comparing Walt to someone like Kramer. It's like comparing Barkley to LT.

Either way, it's all opinions right? Who's more entertaining to a viewer or not right? Or is there some actual objective measure like in sports?

Are The Sopranos on HBOgo?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Which is the greatest character in TV History?
    Marie.

Serious playground baller

Yup for me Walter is definitely the greatest tv character ever

The way he utilizes things to his advantage is impressive, the ending was just another reason why I think he's the greatest.

Off the top of my head:

Tony Soprano
    Don Draper
    Homer Simpson
    Archie Bunker
    George Costanza
    Cosmo Kramer
    Ralph Kramden
    Fred Sanford
    Lucy Ricardo

Don't forget Uncle Jesse.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I'm going with the man that scored 4 touchdowns in a single football game for Polk High.
    Al Bundy is kinda g'ed out.
    .?

Quote Originally Posted by EMERE
    Yup for me Walter is definitely the greatest tv character ever

The way he utilizes things to his advantage is impressive, the ending was just another reason why I think he's the greatest.
    Prisoner of the moment...

Tony Soprano >>>>

Some people don't realize that Breaking Bad uses the Sopranos blueprint