Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: More overrated? Kobe's 2006 RS, LeBron's 2007 PS, or Dirk's 2011 Finals?

Lebron and Dirk were really not that outstanding at those points. Lebron was amazing during some stretches during the conference finals, but kind of mediocre for him otherwise. It was just an exceedingly weak year. Dirk shot pretty poorly in the finals. He was kind of up and down all playoffs, which he generally is most years, and he was injured so its not like I hold it against him at all.
    Dont really think that Kobe's 06 year is over rated. Its his best season (I mean, 07 and 08 he wasnt much different, but if I had to choose itd be 06) and he's one of the fifteen best players ever, minimum. Probably top 10 at this point.

Default Re: More overrated? Kobe's 2006 RS, LeBron's 2007 PS, or Dirk's 2011 Finals?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    The Finals?

Jason Kidd
    Tyson Chandler
    and Jason Terry

Hell, even JJ Barrea.

Are you serious? People say MJ's '96 Finals was atrocious (and it was for his standards)

Dirk put up 26 ppg, comparable to MJ on 41% FG percentage. Not with all time elite, DPOY caliber guy defending him, ala Gary Payton. Instead?

Udonis Haslem recently back from injury in the 2011 playoffs, like 4 inches shorter had him on lock at times.

Game 7 he was carried by Jason Terry schooling LeBron until Dirk finally had his jumper kick in.

Dirk's Finals in 2011 is ridiculously overrated.
    what game 7? That finals series went to six.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    what game 7? That finals series went to six.
    Re-read the last three posts, boricua

raep tiem

I think people mostly talk about Dirk's run, not the Finals itself

Bron's 2007 playoff run easy.

Averaged 25/8/8 on 41% (nothing special)

Two 40 win teams in the first 2 rounds.

53 win Pistons team without Ben Wallace in the ECF.

Had the worst finals performance for a superstar ever vs. the Spurs.

Bron's 2013 run >>>>> this run
    Bron's 2010 run >>>>> this run

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b1imtf
    Exactly.. Finals are overrated, but whole run wasnt. Ive literally never heard anyone call Kobes 06 season overrated.. and Lebrons 07 run is used as a black mark on his career never a positive so I dont see how it can be considered overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Exactly.. Finals are overrated, but whole run wasnt. Ive literally never heard anyone call Kobes 06 season overrated.. and Lebrons 07 run is used as a black mark on his career never a positive so I dont see how it can be considered overrated.
    Not really. You hear "LeBron carried a team of scrubs to the finals in '07" a lot more than you hear "LeBron had the worst finals ever for a superstar in '07".

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by b1imtf
    The whole run was something out of a fairy tale, it's easy to say "Oh, well LeBron's 2012 play off run was way more impressive" or something like that, but if you look at the odds Dirk's team went up against it was an underdog story.

raep tiem

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    The whole run was something out of a fairy tale, it's easy to say "Oh, well LeBron's 2012 play off run was way more impressive" or something like that, but if you look at the odds Dirk's team went up against it was an underdog story.
    I can't say that, that year was the only I remember a player making me lose my shit consistently.. And he's not even on the Celtics

Overrated??? U mean less impressive? Kobe is 1 of 3 players to average 35pts or more, the other two, Jordan and Wilt, how is that overrated? Dirk's numbers may not be impressive but the way he was taking over games during the playoffs was amazing. But Lebron on the other hand played in the Weakest conference in NBA history.
    Last edited by G-Funk; 09-12-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Good High School Starter

Most overrated I would probably say...
    Lebron 2007 PS (Just because people only think about game 5 vs DET and think he played that way all PS)
    Kobe 2006 RS (I don't consider this his best, most do)
    Dirk 2011 Finals (I don't really hear too many people talking this up)

Local High School Star SpurrDurr's Avatar

More overrated? I'd say Jordan 2nd 3peat is overrated.
    Kobe, Lebron and Dirk would have won 3 titles as well with such a stacked team as the 96-98 Bulls.

Pippen (94' MVP), Rodman (best rebounder and one of the greatest defender of all time), Harper (he was a 20/5/5 player before going to CHI but for obvious reason he had to accept a small role) and Longley are at least twice as good as Dirk's supporting cast in 2011.
    On top of that Bulls had by far the best bench.

Lebron 2007
    Dirk 2011
    Kobe 2006

Although, Dirk's is getting more and more overrated. People act as if he was as good as he was during the run prior to the finals. He dropped off a lot. He was great in the clutch though.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SpurrDurr
    More overrated? I'd say Jordan 2nd 3peat is overrated.
    Kobe, Lebron and Dirk would have won 3 titles as well with such a stacked team as the 96-98 Bulls.

Pippen (94' MVP), Rodman (best rebounder and one of the greatest defender of all time), Harper (he was a 20/5/5 player before going to CHI but for obvious reason he had to accept a small role) and Longley are at least twice as good as Dirk's supporting cast in 2011.
    On top of that Bulls had by far the best bench.
    OP should've included this as well. Easily the most overrated compared to the other three.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Overrated??? U mean less impressive? Kobe is 1 of 3 players to average 35pts or more, the other two, Jordan and Wilt, how is that overrated?
    You forgot at least 2 other people and maybe 3 depending on if Mcadoo actually hit it or just got there rounded off. I dont feel like checking but I know he was around it his MVP year. ANd I know Rick Barry put up 36 a game with I think 39 a game for 4 months of that season. And Baylor 38. Kareem was hanging around it. Dude put up like 36, 34, 39, and 34 points a game for 4 months straight. And he was pulling down 17 rebounds a night and getting 5 assists when an assist had to actually be an assist.

So few people knowing about it is probably the basis of it being overrated. Its just an arbitrary number that doesnt mean much of anything. Kobes 35 a game comes up all the time. Tiny Archibalds 34/11 leading the league in both never does. Something about nice round sets of 5...people reeeeeeeeeeeeally love the clean 35 or 20ppg instead of 19 or 25 and not 23.8. But its really not that different.

That seasons fame exceeds its place in history to me which I guess does make it overrated. But it could just as easily mean the other seasons like it are just underrated so...we can go with that.

Dirk's numbers may not be impressive but the way he was taking over games during the playoffs was amazing.
    The way he was taking over games in the WCF was amazing. Among the best contested pressure shooting of all time.

But he didnt do anything to remember outside that.

But Lebron on the other hand played in the Weakest conference in NBA history.
    80 West puts up a fight there. The Lakers did once make the finals without playing a team with more than 42 or so wins. I think they played a 39 win team in the WCF. I think it was 42, 36, and 39 win opponents their first 3 rounds. It took Sleepy Floyd dropping I think 29 in the 4th quarter of one game to keep them from sweeping the entire west that year. They won 65 games and pretty much played 3 8th seeds to make the finals.

Which they won over the Celtics so its not like it wasnt a great team. They just...had nobody to even slow them down till the finals.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 09-12-2013 at 08:35 AM.