Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: 2016 NBDL #1 Draft Pick Georgios Papagiannis Update

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    http://www.maxpreps.com/news/-vu2vYE...sibilities.htm

At 14, he attracted so much curiosity that NBA scouts traveled to Greece to see him. He hasn't played a minute of high school basketball in the United States, yet every major college from the ACC, Big East, Pac-12, Big 12 and Big Ten has ventured out to the bucolic Westtown (Pa.) campus.

There's a reason.

The 7-foot-1, 250-pound junior could arguably be the best high school center in the country. He could already be the best center in the Philadelphia area—and that includes the NBA's young, rebuilding Philadelphia 76ers.

One thing seems certain: It looks like Papagiannis is heading in that direction. Papagiannis will play for Westtown this season, a
    school with an international flavor to its roster.

Westtown coach Seth Berger has seen the best and coached some of the best high school basketball players that have come out of Southeastern Pennsylvania, one of the most fertile hoops areas in the country that's produced some of the greatest that have ever played (Wilt Chamberlain and Kobe Bryant, just to name a few).

Berger is not ready to say Papagiannis is the next Wilt Chamberlain or the next Kobe Bryant. But in his seven years of coaching at Westtown and in his nine years total at the small, high-academic Quaker school, Papagiannis is the best he's coached.

"I think he's the best player I will ever coach until I'm 80 years old; he has a legitimate chance to be a top five pick in the 2016 NBA Draft," Berger said. "George is a one-and-done for sure. He's that once-in-a-lifetime kind of player."

Papagiannis possesses a unique blend of athleticism and skill that belies someone his age — and most importantly — at someone his height. He can put the ball on the floor. He handles the ball well both in half-court sets and in transition. He moves incredibly well for someone his size.

Berger stresses that Papagiannis goes against the European stereotype of highly skilled big men that are "soft."

"George is just the opposite, he's skilled and tough," Berger said. "He'll initiate the contact and takes up space. He'll keep in contact with his defender. He's very comfortable being the center.

"George also moves like someone who's a foot shorter than he is. He does everything well. He's big, strong, coordinated and talented. Around the basket, he has the ability to be as talented and skilled like Hakeem Olajuwon and around the mid-post, he has the ability of Tim Duncan. He can play for a number of major college teams right now. We've been getting tons of interview requests, but right now he wants to be a high school kid and that's it."

Berger continued to say that the biggest surprise he's found is how well Papagiannis shoots the ball.

"I didn't think he would have as good a touch from 15 to 20 feet for someone as big as George is," Berger said.
    Well I'm convinced now. After all, Seth Berger says it's true.

Papagiannis was recently officially measured at 7-1 at a national invitational camp.

7-1 275 with a 7-6 wingspan and still only 16 years old....
    Last edited by Euroleague; 07-25-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Last edited by Euroleague; 02-05-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Sunshine State

Those videos are like 80% dunks and putbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    Those videos are like 80% dunks and putbacks
    So you want a 7-1 275 with a 7-6 wingspan to play like Bargani or Tyson Chandler?

Last edited by Euroleague; 07-25-2014 at 06:40 PM.

guy has zero post work, looks slow and stiff and the video just show him playing against much smaller comp just put back and lay up line dunks lol.

Sunshine State

So you want a 7-2 250 with a 7-6 wingspan to play like Bargani or Tyson Chandler?

There's nothing special about this kid besides his height.

I saw a couple of nice J's and hooks but most of it was dunks and putbacks, he's not even quick or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    There's nothing special about this kid besides his height.

I saw a couple of nice J's and hooks but most of it was dunks and putbacks, he's not even quick or anything.
    You are a moron. He's quicker than every center he's playing against, even if they are in the 6-8 range. He can shoot to 3 point range, he can handle the ball, he can pass it.

He shits all over 95% of NBA bigs already at age 16.

Quote Originally Posted by mattvNJ
    guy has zero post work, looks slow and stiff and the video just show him playing against much smaller comp just put back and lay up line dunks lol.
    You show me one American center in the entire USA that is as good at him at his age.

Go ahead.

Go on.

And since when is a hook shot not a post move? Lay off the sauce.

Banned

You are a moron. He's quicker than every center he's playing against, even if they are in the 6-8 range. He can shoot to 3 point range, he can handle the ball, he can pass it.

and once again you've taken it too far.

The kid looks promising there's no doubting that but it's hard to judge bigs in high school so it'll take time to see if he is a true talent or not. Either way he should have a pro career though but you've just taken your illogical hate of the NBA and taken your argument way to far.

National High School Star Twiens's Avatar

In before this guy decides to play for team USA instead

Sunshine State

ok

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    and once again you've taken it too far.

The kid looks promising there's no doubting that but it's hard to judge bigs in high school so it'll take time to see if he is a true talent or not. Either way he should have a pro career though but you've just taken your illogical hate of the NBA and taken your argument way to far.
    Name how many NBA 7 feet or over bigs with that body and wingspan can block shots like that, shoot to NBA 3 point range, can hit the hook shot, the jump hook, can pass the ball, can draw the double, score against it, read the defense, find the open man and make the right pass........

hit open cutters, make good passes, shoot free throws well, run the floor well, handle the ball well, etc.

Oh yeah, right, there are none.

There is not even ONE single big at 7-0 or over in the entire NBA that can do what he can even at just age 16.

So STFU
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-05-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Banned

Name how many NBA 7 over footers with that body and wingspan can block shots like that, shoot to NBA 3 point range, can hit the hook shot, the jump hook, can pass the ball, can draw the double, score against it, read the defense, find the open man make the right pass........

hit open cutters, make good passes, shoot free throws well, run the floor like that, handle the ball like a guard, etc.

Oh yeah, right, there are none.

There is not even ONE single big in the entire NBA that can do what he can even at just age 16.

So STFU
    dude just stop please. Your comparing a kid in high school to players in the NBA playing a specific role. If you've ever seen an NBA player play outside of games you would know they can generally light it up pretty well. You watch enough international ball to have seen NBA bigs take 3s and longer range shots there than they would in an NBA game. This kid has as much talent as any other hyped up big has in the last decade and as every other hyped up big finds out none of it means shit until they start doing it in a higher level competition. The kid already doesn't do the things your claiming he does, he's just dominating against kids smaller and less talented. He has promise but your really mentally handicapped if you believe he is better than NBA bigs right now.

I watched the 4 videos against US high school kids. 4th video is definitely the best but I can't help but think how good he would be if he was playing against people closer to his size. Especially with the blocks and put backs