Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: The Greatness of Oscar Robertson (an open letter to ISH members)

Great thread OP. I prefer to use the term 'best' rather than 'greatest' nowadays, but perhaps that's just an issue of semantics.

As I said in the Dr. J - underrated thread, the Big O is one of the two players that drove me to quit on GOAT lists. I think Robertson is one of the great offensive players we've seen at league history, and wouldn't be at a big disadvantage in that regard against anyone else ever. He was misfortunate going against Russell/Chamberlain and the like, but it's no shame being the third best of his era.

Default Re: The Greatness of Oscar Robertson (an open letter to ISH members)

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Great thread OP. I prefer to use the term 'best' rather than 'greatest' nowadays, but perhaps that's just an issue of semantics.

As I said in the Dr. J - underrated thread, the Big O is one of the two players that drove me to quit on GOAT lists. I think Robertson is one of the great offensive players we've seen at league history, and wouldn't be at a big disadvantage in that regard against anyone else ever. He was misfortunate going against Russell/Chamberlain and the like, but it's no shame being the third best of his era.
    My "Top-10's" are now 1-14, and then, if you want to make a case for George Mikan, a Top-15.

Wilt, Russell, Magic, MJ, KAJ, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Bird, Hakeem, Lebron, Dr.J, Moses, and Oscar.

And then you have Mikan, Pettit, Robinson, Hondo, West, Dirk, KG, Barkley, Barry, and other's.

Just about impossible to only go ten deep.

As for Oscar, he was certainly a close third best. He finished in the top-5 in the MVP voting nearly every season.