Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default NYC gives Madison Square Garden 10 years to GTFO

[QUOTE]The demolition of the gorgeous old Penn Station in 1963 to make way for the construction of Madison Square Garden remains one of the country's great civic disasters. Now, New York is finally trying to rectify its mistakes: the city council has given MSG 10 years to vacate the premises.

The Madison Square Garden Company's 50-year permit to operate the arena expired earlier this year, but it has been lobbying hard for a renewal in perpetuity, sending the likes of Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, and Spike Lee to argue the case for staying. But the city has granted only a 10-year permit, after which the Garden will be knocked down for the redevelopment of Penn Station.

In the labyrinthine process of city politics, few things have ever been so agreed-upon. The local community board voted 36-0. A zoning subcommittee voted 7-0. The Committee on Land Use voted 18-1. And yesterday the City Council, the last stop to making it official, voted 47-1 for the eviction heads-up. Christine Quinn, City Council speaker and mayoral candidate, said

Default Re: NYC gives Madison Square Garden 10 years to GTFO

Who needs a useless Penn Station?

Pretty crazy. Also, months away from completing that 1 billion dollar work? Wow...

Didn't MSG just do a massive unbelievably expensive upgrade? And they knew having to move was possible?

Probably Isiah's fault.

Knicks can share the Barclays center with the Nets

Two words:

Seattle KnickerSonics......Huh? Huh? Good right?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Who needs a useless Penn Station?
    I often find myself taking the bus to and from Penn and Boston for work and family visits. I like telling myself that they are knocking down MSG for the convenience of a Celtics fan. I am for this.

Nothing will happen. The city doesn't have money to rebuild Penn Station and the City would also have to help fund the Garden's move after seizing the land. Essentially they'd need to help fund a new building and fund a new Penn Station. In 10 years. Raise your hand if you see that happening.

The person who wrote the article seems to see the need to rebuild Penn Station, not me. Not if it costs me $1. It's a train station. Why does it need to be pretty?

Total non story. In 10 years they'll be either a renewal or a huge legal battle which will take more years. Or we can just share Barclays. If you've been to a Knicks/Nets game this year, you'd know we'd basically take over that building, and the Knicks would be real close to my house. Win/Win.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Nothing will happen. The city doesn't have money to rebuild Penn Station and the City would also have to help fund the Garden's move after seizing the land. Essentially they'd need to help fund a new building and fund a new Penn Station. In 10 years. Raise your hand if you see that happening.

The person who wrote the article seems to see the need to rebuild Penn Station, not me. Not if it costs me $1. It's a train station. Why does it need to be pretty?

Total non story. In 10 years they'll be either a renewal or a huge legal battle which will take more years. Or we can just share Barclays. If you've been to a Knicks/Nets game this year, you'd know we'd basically take over that building, and the Knicks would be real close to my house. Win/Win.
    Your reading comphrehension is on the level of a 2nd grader. It doesnt matter about the money, the Knicks are still being kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
    Your reading comphrehension is on the level of a 2nd grader. It doesnt matter about the money, the Knicks are still being kicked out.
    "The 10-year notice is not a death sentence. When the permit comes up again, MSG will have the right to re-apply, and it's impossible to predict what New York's financial and political situations will look like in a decade's time."

^That pretty much confirms niko's interpretation.

MSG makes too much money for the city to be dismissed that quickly. Also the city will have to pay up for the relocation of MSG, for the demolition works and the construction of the new Penn Station. Plus, a train station will not make half the money that MSG does. Also, who doubts Dolan has some city officials in his pockets? Money does the talking here.

Local High School Star 3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko

It doesn't have to be a train station.

It could be the new Major Center for Subway or Metro Rail stops. Lots of different possibilites could be done with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    I often find myself taking the bus to and from Penn and Boston for work and family visits. I like telling myself that they are knocking down MSG for the convenience of a Celtics fan. I am for this.
    you mean Port Authority?

Local High School Star SpurrDurr's Avatar

At this point just relocate the franchise somewhere, hopefully Seattle.

You'd still have one NY team afterall

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    MSG makes too much money for the city to be dismissed that quickly. Also the city will have to pay up for the relocation of MSG, for the demolition works and the construction of the new Penn Station. Plus, a train station will not make half the money that MSG does. Also, who doubts Dolan has some city officials in his pockets? Money does the talking here.
    by having 'city officials in his pockets' do you mean losing the vote 47-1?