Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain's one-step vertical-reach revealed in Photographers Light

Celtic #12 is 7 feet tall while crouching on the ground, must be 8'6" straight up Wilt played against 8 footers

raep tiem

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain's one-step vertical-reach revealed in Photographers Light

Old men jerking center in here

Unimpressive is an understatement. lol @ a big many resorting to a floater at point blank range. Like a modern day.....nobody.

Unimpressive is an understatement. lol @ a big many resorting to a floater at point blank range. Like a modern day.....nobody.
    Point blank? Your fellow haters seem to disagree and claim the camera distorts the distance. Once again, haters are unable to reach a consensus what excuse to use.

However, since even a broken clock is correct twice a day, I do believe that the distance is longer than the apparent. Which means that the photo doesn't correctly depict Wilt's vertical. And also that it isn't at "point blank range".

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Idiot...he's clearly much closer to the camera than the rim
    Forget the photograph, which was taken early in Wilt's NBA career, and instead, focus on the block in the video footage. Even the Chamberlain-haters have to admit that that is an impressive one-step leap.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Forget the photograph, which was taken early in Wilt's NBA career, and instead, focus on the block in the video footage. Even the Chamberlain-haters have to admit that that is an impressive one-step leap.
    Don't worry, there's enough video footage now on youtube to establish that Wilt was blocking (or goal tending) shots within a few inches of the top of the backboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Don't worry, there's enough video footage now on youtube to establish that Wilt was blocking (or goal tending) shots within a few inches of the top of the backboard.
    You mentioned it in another topic, ...

The Wilt-bashers no longer argue his amazing athleticism. The evidence is just overwhelming to the contrary. For a while the few remnants left of the "anti-Wilt gang" ripped him for dominating "short, white, nerds" in a "weak era." But that argument has been blown to shreds here, as well, and only the complete fools make that claim. Now they only argue that the Record Book should be split into two categories...one, pre-1989, and two, post-1989. Of course, what they REALLY mean is that the Record Book should be divided into two categories...one, the "Wilt-era", and two, the "Post Wilt-era."
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 07-24-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    You mentioned it in another topic, ...

The Wilt-bashers no longer argue his amazing athleticism. The evidence is just overwhelming to the contrary. For a while the few remnants left of the "anti-Wilt gang" ripped him for dominating "short, white, nerds" in a "weak era." But that argument has been blown to shreds here, as well, and only the complete fools make that claim. Now they only argue that the Record Book should be split into two categories...one, pre-1989, and two, post-1989. Of course, what they REALLY mean is that the Record Book should be divided into two categories...one, the "Wilt-era", and two, the "Post Wilt-era."
    My Youtube channel ethered a lot of the criticisms and ignorance Wilt used to get spread around about his athleticism. But then the trolling shifted to "Well it's just him then nobody else was any good / weak era / ahead of his time" So I've turned my attention towards his competition have uploaded a few projects and have a few more in the works related to his competition that should ether that nonsense as well.

Now I've recently decided it is very important to start turning the attention towards his scoring skillset. Because I've seen him display a wider array of moves in the post than Kareem. Not necessarily better moves because Kareem's skyhook was so consistent, but definitely more variety (variations of his bank shots, fade-aways, reverse layups, fingerrolls, etc). What triggers me to go in that direction was when I did my Wilt vs Kareem video. Some people responded with the assumption that Kareem had a wider repertoire of moves than Wilt and that simply isn't true from what I've seen but I realize practically nobody has seen what I've seen therefore I am going to start a Wilt offensive skillset video at some point. Also, he's one of the greatest passing bigmen in NBA history... his passing skill needs to be showcased.

Pretty soon there will be no fictional criticisms left for Wilt haters to bitch about other than REAL criticisms like having less rings than Russell (which isn't necessarily his fault but it's at least historically true - unlike saying Wilt wasn't athletic etc).

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound

A 1957 photographers flash reveals Wilt Chamberlain's incredible reach from a one-step gather during a regular season NCAA game. Wilt's hand appears to be well above the square in spite of leaping from a near stand-still!

The footage comes from Northwestern University in their matchup vs the Kansas Jayhawks on December 9th 1957.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDMCh5HrcG0

Wilt the Greatest Athlete That Ever Lived
    Dude, it's the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    My Youtube channel ethered a lot of the criticisms and ignorance Wilt used to get spread around about his athleticism. But then the trolling shifted to "Well it's just him then nobody else was any good / weak era / ahead of his time" So I've turned my attention towards his competition have uploaded a few projects and have a few more in the works related to his competition that should ether that nonsense as well.

Now I've recently decided it is very important to start turning the attention towards his scoring skillset. Because I've seen him display a wider array of moves in the post than Kareem. Not necessarily better moves because Kareem's skyhook was so consistent, but definitely more variety (variations of his bank shots, fade-aways, reverse layups, fingerrolls, etc). What triggers me to go in that direction was when I did my Wilt vs Kareem video. Some people responded with the assumption that Kareem had a wider repertoire of moves than Wilt and that simply isn't true from what I've seen but I realize practically nobody has seen what I've seen therefore I am going to start a Wilt offensive skillset video at some point. Also, he's one of the greatest passing bigmen in NBA history... his passing skill needs to be showcased.

Pretty soon there will be no fictional criticisms left for Wilt haters to bitch about other than REAL criticisms like having less rings than Russell (which isn't necessarily his fault but it's at least historically true - unlike saying Wilt wasn't athletic etc).
    Will the highlight be an offensive skill set/ passing video or separate?

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Will the highlight be an offensive skill set/ passing video or separate?
    Same, a video showcasing his offensive IQ, skillset, and moves this includes passing. This could be something u won't see for a year or two though because I've got a lot I'm finishing up as it is.

Same, a video showcasing his offensive IQ, skillset, and moves this includes passing. This could be something u won't see for a year or two though because I've got a lot I'm finishing up as it is.
    You should get paid for all this time put into it. Work for the NBA lol

his head is clearly above the rim, no gimmick

BTW, I knew that your great footage of the Kareem-Wilt battles would bring on criticism of Chamberlain. While it was very well done (and almost exactly in the fashion in which it took place), it was unfair to a well past his prime Wilt.

Furthermore, I have long said that Wilt was every bit as skilled offensively as KAJ (if not moreso.) Your college footage and early NBA footage is clearly indicative of that. However, by the mid-60's, Wilt's scoring came mainly from inside of ten feet. And even though he still had a myriad of post moves, the perception was, that he had very little range.

And, for those that believe that Wilt would not have been nearly as capable of scoring in the modern era, it must be pointed out that an early-NBA Chamberlain could start his offense from 10-15 ft. He was so athletic, and so quick, that it didn't make any difference who, or how many, were defending him. IMHO, he was very similar to a taller, stronger, and more athletic Garnett (albeit, with less range.)

Hopefully you can at least release a "teaser" of what to expect.

And for those that can't wait....here is some excellent footage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWrGWuU2Ak

Wilt as skilled as KAJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDK5VDdX-yo&t=5m5s

The guy used to bend halfway down to post up.

How do you compare that to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDK5VDdX-yo&t=5m5s

at 100 pounds heavier no less.

Hell, show him get this high:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefJHAWigvY&t=6m00s

at 340....and no horrible angle pictures/vids either.