Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Breaking Bad: The Epic Refresher

The last scene was the dude taking an EPIC shit

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I watched the first four seasons on Netflix not long ago, but missed the first half of season five, and really need to get caught up before it finishes out.

I do tend to agree with Graviton that the show is just a tad bit overrated. Better than say Dexter, but not quite on the level of The Sopranos, The Wire, or Mad Men or Game of Thrones for current stuff. So somewhere in like an A- range, which is weird. I think my main issues are that it's a weirdly limited world. The whole show is really only about 6 or 7 characters. And that it's played almost to an extreme with it's characters. Gus being almost comically bad. Hank being almost comically good. It is very much carried by Walt's increasing darkness. It's a great performance over such a span of time.
    I think Mad Men has been inconsistent enough for me to rate BB over it. Haven't seen Sopranos yet (I know) but agree with the rest.

NBA rookie of the year

What's amazing is that Dexter will be ending just as BB will be beginning. BB premieres on August 11 and Dexter ends in September....plus these two shows air back to back on Sundays

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

I watched the first four seasons on Netflix not long ago, but missed the first half of season five, and really need to get caught up before it finishes out.

I do tend to agree with Graviton that the show is just a tad bit overrated. Better than say Dexter, but not quite on the level of The Sopranos, The Wire, or Mad Men or Game of Thrones for current stuff. So somewhere in like an A- range, which is weird. I think my main issues are that it's a weirdly limited world. The whole show is really only about 6 or 7 characters. And that it's played almost to an extreme with it's characters. Gus being almost comically bad. Hank being almost comically good. It is very much carried by Walt's increasing darkness. It's a great performance over such a span of time.
    I'm sorry, but Game of Thrones simply isn't on par with the rest of those shows.

I could see why some think BB is overrated (especially after Season 5 Part 1) but it's still a completely gripping show with absolutely terrific performances. If any show is getting overrated, it's DEFINITELY Game of Thrones.

And I'm not trying to belittle GoT. It's certainly a good show, and it's easy to get entranced by it's scope and breadth (as well as Dany's titties) but, ultimately, the best I can say about it is that is a solid and fully entertaining adaptation of difficult source material. Which is definitely an impressive accomplishment, as GoT probably requires a whole lot more collective effort to produce than any other show on TV....... but it just isn't as consistently written or acted as The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    I love the show, watching it all for a second time right now, and I realized I hate the following characters:

Walt
    Jesse
    Skyler
    Walt Jr.

seriously. They're all annoying. I'm definitely rooting for Hank.
    I hate Skylar too. Is like she can't make a decision and is a cheating skank to boot.

Love Live Life

This damn show been on like a 2 year break!

I'm not even looking forward to it anymore.

I actually forgot about it.

That break was lame as hell

I don't think television has ever seen the kind of quality writing that breaking bad offers. The dynamic between Walt and Jesse is just brilliant. The show is so full of rich and interesting characters. Aaron Paul has so much charisma that everything he says is interesting. The show also has the feel of a movie both visually and story wise.

I enjoyoed the Sopranos. I never saw the whole thing though. The only show that I can rank near BB is The Shield. I know I have to check out The Wire as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I don't think television has ever seen the kind of quality writing that breaking bad offers. The dynamic between Walt and Jesse is just brilliant. The show is so full of rich and interesting characters. Aaron Paul has so much charisma that everything he says is interesting. The show also has the feel of a movie both visually and story wise.

I enjoyoed the Sopranos. I never saw the whole thing though. The only show that I can rank near BB is The Shield. I know I have to check out The Wire as well.
    The Shield was my favorite show for a while. But now...

The Shield << BB <<<<<<<<<<< The Wire

You may draw parallels between BB and the Shield, but the Wire is in a stratosphere of its own.

Watch it. Now.

3-time NBA All-Star

These are the titles of the last 8 episodes:

Bloody Money
    Buried
    Confessions
    Rabid Dog
    To'hajiilee
    Ozymandias
    Granite State
    Felina

So I'm guessing in the 2nd episode someone dies or they bury the money. The third episode someone confesses to everything i.e. either Walt or Jesse. I wikipediad To'hajiilee and Ozymandias, and To'hajiilee is actually an Indian reservation in New Mexico so I'm guessing that has something to do with that episode. Ozymandias is a poem thats about the inevitable decline of great leaders so I'm guessing something crazy happens to Walt and/or his family here. Granite State is New Hampshire's nickname, so I'm guessing this is when Walt flees over there and I'm assuming decides to come back to New Mexico like they foreshadowed in the beginning of season 5. Felina just means cat. Soo who knows what that means for the season finale.

3-time NBA All-Star

Gus comically bad? Maybe I have poor taste, but I think he's one of the greatest characters of all-time. So far its been my favorite show ever, but out of your list I've only seen the Wire and GOT. I love the Wire, and definitely think its close, and it probably is a much deeper show with greater substance, but I just can't say I've been as entertained and excited watching it as as Breaking Bad. Like another poster said, GOT is great but I think its very overrated. In fact, IMO I'd easily take Boardwalk Empire, which doesn't get nearly the same attention, over it. And while you say Breaking Bad only has a few characters, GOT has wayyyy too many characters where unlike the Wire and Boardwalk Empire, its hard to keep track of because of the vastly different world and culture they live in.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    The Shield was my favorite show for a while. But now...

The Shield << BB <<<<<<<<<<< The Wire

You may draw parallels between BB and the Shield, but the Wire is in a stratosphere of its own.

Watch it. Now.
    The Shield is awesome. Although I'd easily take BB and the Wire over it, Vick Mackey might be my favorite TV show character ever.

Dissing Game Of Thrones

Say my name. Go on, say it.

I was watching Do the Right Thing the other day and was surprised that Buggin' out was the same actor as Gus Fring.

Also my top 3 is Sopranos>>>The Wire>Breaking Bad imo

3-time NBA All-Star

Going to be an entertaining few months of Sunday TV starting in August, at least for me. Breaking Bad + Ray Donovan (new show on Showtime) for about a month, then for about 3 weeks, there will be Breaking Bad + Ray Donovan + Boardwalk Empire, then on the same day there will be an episode of Boardwalk Empire + series finale of Breaking Bad + season premier of Homeland, then Boardwalk Empire + Homeland for a few months. Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    Season 4 was the greatest TV event I've ever witnessed,
    relax