Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: What is your IQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I took placement tests when i left private school for public and i was allegedly high school level at 8. Not that that's saying anything IQ related.

I did take an IQ test as a kid at some learning center and my mom was told it was high but this was 25 years ago. I don't remember the number our if we even got one. I do remember being told I qualified for whatever it'd was my mom wanted me to get accepted for.

I think you had to be in the top 3 percent or something. But i don't believe in IQ tests really.

I know I'm smarter than average. But i suspect id do better on a test than a lot of people I'm not smarter than. My mom and grandmother are teachers. I test better than i suspect id do otherwise though id be no less intelligent.

A lot of it is upbringing.

If I'm raised in a fishing village and given the same test I'm sure id do worse. I wouldn't even care if i did well.

But as i am it would be a matter of pride. Id apply myself much more.

Plenty of idiots would sound intelligent raised to worry about enunciation and how strangers perceived them on first impression.

I'm as much a product of upbringing as anything natural.
    They lied to you about your score.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Am I crazy or is everyone here for some inexplicable reason being given IQ tests when they were children? Generally these tests are used to detect learning disorders not look for prodigies. Who has the time and money to pay for all of these kids to be tested?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Am I crazy or is everyone here for some inexplicable reason being given IQ tests when they were children? Generally these tests are used to detect learning disorders not look for prodigies. Who has the time and money to pay for all of these kids to be tested?
    Exactly.

im suprised there are not one or two people who can match my score, which is regularly over 500. you would think there are some really smart posters around here when you read some threads, but it looks like most people only have a peasantlike score of ~150

   

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    As we know, IQ tests may not be the best indicators of intelligence that we could have, but having said that:

1) IQ tests are in general becoming increasingly complex, so that they measure multiple facets of intelligence. And, while not perfect, they are better at measuring intelligence than "career", "money", "fame", "sex received", etc. Intelligence and success are different, with the first, imo, basically being someone's capacity of thinking correctly. After all, people prefer using the "street smarts" phrase in order to approach the success factor.

2) Not all IQ tests are equally reliable. Not even all online IQ tests are equally (un)reliable, as some people claim. To be honest, I'll take some online tests over, say, the test of Mansa easily. Although I've never taken the Mensa test, I have a hard time taking seriously an IQ test that lasts only 20 minutes (for 45 questions) and, as far as I've heard, basically tests only 1 type of intelligence (if this is wrong, I want to hear the truth), even if this type is considered culturally unbiased.
    Some other online tests, however, think too much of themselves and are probably overrated by 15+ points.

3) An above average intelligence person who's made IQ test solving a habbit will probably have his IQ exaggerated due to developing thinking strategies once he's somewhat caught up with the authors' way of thinking. So, their 10th IQ testing score will likely be higher than their 1st. Let's be honest, creative imagination based on logic does have limits. Sure, they are incredibly high and nobody has approached them, but they do exist somewhere.
    The good thing is, lots of people can boost their scores by also changing their line of thinking. Some, though, are more capable than others.

4) EQ (emotional quotient) is often considered more important than IQ. This is partially true and partially false. EQ is more important if you want a solid interpersonal development in a society which has an average IQ of 100. IQ is more important for the advancement of humanity.

5) To be honest, I'm tired of people who try to downplay their high IQ scores, at least in certain tests. Yes, we get it, it doesn't solve the purpose of your existence and it doesn't make you anywhere close to perfect. But neither do the facets I mentioned before (money, career, sex, diplomas), yet I don't see anyone try to downplay any of them. Maybe because people are too hung up on personal success which one day might very well turn into fail and tragedy. And yes, IQ tests are far from the only way of measuring intelligence. But you may also have heard of the phrase that "some people are so poor they only have money".
    Have some pride or, at least, feel some luck. Having a very high IQ does NOT mean "nothing", at least no less than having lots of money also means "nothing", since it's a matter of what you're going to do with that money, as well.
    Stop apologizing. You'll find plenty of jealous haters with mediocre minds who'll do all this dirty work for you. Stand your ground.
    good points. i think this is the kind of stuff we all have to realise over time to put the situation in to fuller perspective.

throwing around IQ scores without giving the parameters is pretty much meaningless. either you took the stanford - binet / the wechsler II / other standardised, peer-reviewed test designed by researchers, or you took something else. if so, then what's the test? who designed it? if online, what's the URL?... would be pertinent questions.

for one thing, scores are not equivalent across tests. a median score of 100 on one test might score as 110 or more on another test.

IIRC, the japanese have the highest avg IQ of all peoples at 110 on the W2 and equivalents. americans about 98 - 100 on that scale i believe.

IQ score distribution is pretty much on a bell curve, as with many such things. upon getting your score back, the very first thing you should find out is your relevant percentile.

it's "mensa."

EQ is more important than IQ in my experience. i find that people with high EQ are virtually set for life. they can almost do no wrong, and no matter what idiotic situation they've gotten themselves in to, their built-in support system (see dunning - kruger effect) and relatability to others will always, always extend helpful hands to them. by contrast, a person with high IQ and low EQ seems to make for a pretty bumpy, lonely ride through life.

if you have imbalances in these areas, i think the goal should be to work out compromises, strategies and coping-methods. work to heal your weaknesses (wherever they may lie). build them up where possible... know yourself... find a better balance between the different parts of yourself... and become a better person, both for your own benefit, the people you care about, and the world at large.

my 2

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    I don't even know where my high school diploma or SS card is. Do you think I have the test as prove? If I find them I will post it here, heck I will PM you so you know I am not bullshitting people here. I don't have to lie about stuff I didn't do here. Is not like you will ever find me or meet me in real life.
    Dude, I really don't care, it's just far more believable that you'd be programming a video game than have a higher IQ than Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Dude, I really don't care, it's just far more believable that you'd be programming a video game than have a higher IQ than Einstein.

Well there is a chance I lucked out when I got that score too. Again I am not a genius at all. I am smarter than the average man when it comes to math but I not good at talking (trash talk, flirting) and I am not good when it comes to writing poems or artistic writing at all. I don't get art, but I get math!

I think we were given an IQ like test in my elementary school and the resulys were sent to our parents. I think it was to find potential learning disorders or set expectations for a child's development. I could be wrong tho considering im try to remember something from 10-15 years ago.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito

Well there is a chance I lucked out when I got that score too. Again I am not a genius at all. I am smarter than the average man when it comes to math but I not good at talking (trash talk, flirting) and I am not good when it comes to writing poems or artistic writing at all. I don't get art, but I get math!
    Wait, you're Puerto Rican right? And you're good at math...?
    Last edited by HarryCallahan; 07-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Wait, you're Puerto Rican right? And you're good at math...
    There are a lot of Puerto Ricans that are good at math. Just check the NASA staff

When it comes to engineering we are at the top of the world too. Just because USA has shitty schools doesn't mean Puerto Rico is just as bad!

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I think we were given an IQ like test in my elementary school and the resulys were sent to our parents. I think it was to find potential learning disorders or set expectations for a child's development. I could be wrong tho considering im try to remember something from 10-15 years ago.
    Do you remember the test? Was it a one on one test or was it given to a large group at one time?

Do you remember the test? Was it a one on one test or was it given to a large group at one time?
    Don't remember the specific test but I'm pretty sure the entire class took it at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I hope all of you realize that posting scores is worthless without also posting what test you took.
    I was 11. How the hell do I know what the f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck test I took? All I know is that my parents got a letter saying my IQ was 128.

The program at my school that my parents wanted to put me in had a minimum requirement of a 125 IQ.

Banned

Everyone on ISH is an intellectual prodigy. Also, we all have huge penises.