Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Prime Dominique Wilkins vs. Prime Carmelo Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    I never understood the Melo love. I realize scoring is vastly overrated in general, much less on this board... but what does he do to garner so much respect and admiration? I see a scorer that, until this past season, did nothing else at an above average level.

As for Wilkins... I never saw him play, and can't offer an opinion.
    He rebounds at an elite level for a SF and is perhaps the most clutch player of the generation (at least during the regular season).

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    He rebounds at an elite level for a SF and is perhaps the most clutch player of the generation (at least during the regular season).
    What am I missing in regards to his being an "elite rebounder"? I know the numbers are not everything, but I struggle to consider 6-7 rebounds "elite". So what are the advanced stats to support the claim?

As for clutch... totally meaningless stat, IMO. Melo's "clutch play" is defined in shots made and attempted, which is all well and good. But what about defense, rebounding, passing, turnovers, etc? On top of that, "sample size" has something to say in regards to "clutch" shooting. Even if he were to hit 70% of 100 "clutch" shots, that's a ridiculously small sample size, relative to overall shooting. One could probably find a similar percentage streak for Iverson, Kobe, Arenas, and other notoriously lower-percentage shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Both of them are better then some who have led teams to rings and many who led teams to the finals.

But since you are idiots...or pretending to be.....what that means isn't about to sink in now.

I'll get back to you when you get a grasp on some of these issues too basic for me to bother explaining.
    Translation: you have no explanation for grant hill's weak showing in the playoffs

While post season stats for both players have been presented and analyzed, your response has been calling them idiots

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Seeing that 16 of the 37 playoff games that Grant Hill played in where when he was 37 and had been stripped of his athleticism by multiple major surgeries, I'd say those numbers are not representative of the player we're comparing to Melo.

Grant Hill prior to injuries
    - 1995-96: 19 ppg, 7.4 rebs, and 3.7 asts
    - 1996-97: 23.6 ppg, 6.8 rebs, and 5.4 asts
    - 1998-99: 19.4 ppg, 7.2 rebs, and 7.4 asts
    - 1999-00: 11 ppg, 5.5 rebs, 4.5 asts (only played 55 mins over 2 games in these playoffs due to injury; afterward only able to play 18 games in next 2 seasons following that injury)
    After all of that, he still wasn't better than melo

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    Translation: you have no explanation for grant hill's weak showing in the playoffs

While post season stats for both players have been presented and analyzed, your response has been calling them idiots
    ethered again.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz

Anyone who needs to be told why grant hills career averages are irrelevant is less then an idiot.

I've been hearing knick fans over rate their guys since it was Ewing being better than Jordan. So repping melo over the nothing he's done isn't shocking.

But it does amuse me since so many of his fans have been so whatting his early exits for ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Anyone who needs to be told why grant hills career averages are irrelevant is less then an idiot.

I've been hearing knick fans over rate their guys since it was Ewing being better than Jordan. So repping melo over the nothing he's done isn't shocking.

But it does amuse me since so many of his fans have been so whatting his early exits for ten years.
    If Melo has done nothing then what has grant hill done? Im curious.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    If Melo has done nothing then what has grant hill done? Im curious.

Nothing. Luckily i watched both careers so i don't need almanac facts to form a opinion

To be frank, these two are cut from the same cloth. Both are among the top 3 SF's in the world in their eras in terms of scoring and rebounding. Both have the alpha dog gene in spades. In comparison to a Lebron of today, both are better killers scoring than Bron, even though Bron is alpha dog quality and the better player. When it comes to Durant, both are more physical and will exploit the post and midrange game more. So what I'm saying is that Melo and Nique are both BEASTS who can take over a game scoring the rock as good as any SF's EVER!

It's really a tossup and I can't really choose between the two. Kind of like Nique and Bernard King back in the day. It's easy to say King and Melo had better midrange games than Nique. But Nique was more unpredictable, had a very effective midrange game, sick floaters, epic at using the glass, epic at offensive rebounding, and is arguably the most freakish athlete to ever play the SF in terms of scoring the rock. If I had to choose, I would go Nique. But they are both on the same level and can't go wrong either way. And one thing to keep in mind with Nique is he has scored more points THAN ANY SF IN NBA HISTORY!! Just like Big O has it at PG, MJ at SG, Mailman at PF, and Cap at C. What Dr. J did for the one foot gliding freak athletes, Nique did it for the vertical, power style of freak athletic ability.
    Last edited by bizil; 06-14-2014 at 04:16 AM.

In terms of Hill vs. a Nique or Melo, I think Hill would have ended up the superior player. Hill was like a mix of Pippen and Dr. J all rolled into one. When he got hurt, he was really evolving into that Dr. J mode of being a freak athletic alpha dog. He already was doing great in the Pippen type point forward stuff, but he was really embracing being a dominant alpha dog when he got hurt. U can't really top SF's like Bron, Bird, Barry, or a Hondo if your all around game isn't on that level. Nique and Melo could take over a game scoring just as good or better. And could board great for SF's. But guys like Bron, Bird, Barry, and Hondo had point forward kind of skills to go with their other attributes. Hill was of that cloth and really the bridge to Lebron for that style of SF.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    I realize scoring is vastly overrated in general, much less on this board

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    I'll grant you that Carmelo is better than Stockton was, but Grant Hill? Pre-injury, the guy was posting LeBron-like numbers with better rebounding and lesser scoring.
    No, he wasn't .