Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Luchini from the sky TheAnchorman's Avatar

Default Re: Current Steph Curry vs. Peak Ray Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    Ray Allen led team to 01 east finals.
    In one of the weakest Eastern conferences in recent memory.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Ray Allen is one of the most overrated players on this board. Thing is, so is Steph Curry.
    Steph Curry is rated just right.

Almost no one puts him in the Top 5 PG's in the league but when you look at the list of the Top PG's in the league, it's hard to argue 5 over him.

CP3
    Parker
    Westbrook
    Rose
    Rondo
    Kyrie
    Deron

CP3, Parker, and Westbrook are obviously better. Rose is a huge question mark at this point, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

5th Spot, who do you take?

Rondo is an amazing PG to me, he's tough and unselfish and a hard nosed defender. Curry is much more dynamic as a PG. He can play off the ball or be ball dominant. He's shown great playmaking abilities, but his shot is something that applies pressure wherever he is on the court. That's something Rondo can't do.

Kyrie is nearly as good as Curry is right now and he's younger. My only issue is that Kyrie is horrible on the defensive end of the floor. Curry is at least an above average defender. He's not a lockdown defender, but he definitely puts in the effort and doesn't miss his defensive rotations.

Deron isn't the Deron we used to know, but maybe he'll be back this season with the revamped Net's lineup. Curry is much better than Deron has been in the past few seasons.

So looking at the list, Curry definitely has an argument for Top 5 PG, yet he's never mentioned. I wouldn't say he's overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    So that is our argument/proof that Curry is a better player than Ray Allen in his prime?

#of years Curry has been in the league: 4

#of times hes played in the playoffs: 1

So who has the better % there wise guy??
    Not saying Curry's better or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Steph Curry is rated just right.

Almost no one puts him in the Top 5 PG's in the league but when you look at the list of the Top PG's in the league, it's hard to argue 5 over him.

CP3
    Parker
    Westbrook
    Rose
    Rondo
    Kyrie
    Deron

CP3, Parker, and Westbrook are obviously better. Rose is a huge question mark at this point, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

5th Spot, who do you take?

Rondo is an amazing PG to me, he's tough and unselfish and a hard nosed defender. Curry is much more dynamic as a PG. He can play off the ball or be ball dominant. He's shown great playmaking abilities, but his shot is something that applies pressure wherever he is on the court. That's something Rondo can't do.

Kyrie is nearly as good as Curry is right now and he's younger. My only issue is that Kyrie is horrible on the defensive end of the floor. Curry is at least an above average defender. He's not a lockdown defender, but he definitely puts in the effort and doesn't miss his defensive rotations.

Deron isn't the Deron we used to know, but maybe he'll be back this season with the revamped Net's lineup. Curry is much better than Deron has been in the past few seasons.

So looking at the list, Curry definitely has an argument for Top 5 PG, yet he's never mentioned. I wouldn't say he's overrated.
    he has zero argument for top 5 pg. there are also about 20 players in the league flat out better than him. Just because a lot of people got hurt doesn't make him better at basketball. he is the same guy whether or not they got hurt. im not giving him a bump for that crap.

College superstar

he has zero argument for top 5 pg. there are also about 20 players in the league flat out better than him. Just because a lot of people got hurt doesn't make him better at basketball. he is the same guy whether or not they got hurt. im not giving him a bump for that crap.
    I put Rose ahead of him even though Rose got hurt.

My list would be:

1. CP3
    2. Parker
    3. Westbrook
    4. Rose
    5. Curry

I would say Curry is interchangeable with Rondo and Kyrie at this point, but until proven otherwise, he's definitely ahead of Deron.

There is no way there is no argument for Curry over Rondo or Kyrie. It is at the very least arguable.

I put Rose ahead of him even though Rose got hurt.

My list would be:

1. CP3
    2. Parker
    3. Westbrook
    4. Rose
    5. Curry

I would say Curry is interchangeable with Rondo and Kyrie at this point, but until proven otherwise, he's definitely ahead of Deron.

There is no way there is no argument for Curry over Rondo or Kyrie. It is at the very least arguable.
    If Rondo wasn't hurt there would be no argument for Curry. Rondo is a top 10 player in the league.

No team with Curry as there best player is going anywhere. same with Ray allen. Because of this I would like to hear about them less.

Local High School Star

Ray everyday an twice on sundays..ppl seriously forget how good ray was and someone said hes overrated plzzzzzzzzzzzzz lol hes never talked about even in his prime...also to ppl who are talking playoff appearances why dont you look at the rosters ray had to play with in his prime...they arent pretty

curry is one hell of a player and he could be every bit as good as allen if he continues to improve but right now I'll take ray with no hesitation

College superstar

If Rondo wasn't hurt there would be no argument for Curry. Rondo is a top 10 player in the league.
    I'm sorry but no. I didn't even factor in that Rondo was hurt and he might come back worse off than before.

Rondo is a great playmaker, but he's got too many holes in his game. He can't shoot. His scoring as actually a detriment to the team and he has a lower TS% than the league average. I don't like using PER, but Curry has had a higher PER since his sophmore season, that's just one piece of the argument.

Curry can play on the ball, off the ball. He provides spacing like no one else in the league can. Curry is playing with Iguodala next season, would that even make sense with Rondo? Rondo needs to be so ball dominant on the floor because he doesn't provide much else when he's not ball dominant. He's great with the ball in his hands, but he doesn't provide much else offensively.

I'm sorry but no. I didn't even factor in that Rondo was hurt and he might come back worse off than before.

Rondo is a great playmaker, but he's got too many holes in his game. He can't shoot. His scoring as actually a detriment to the team and he has a lower TS% than the league average. I don't like using PER, but Curry has had a higher PER since his sophmore season, that's just one piece of the argument.

Curry can play on the ball, off the ball. He provides spacing like no one else in the league can. Curry is playing with Iguodala next season, would that even make sense with Rondo? Rondo needs to be so ball dominant on the floor because he doesn't provide much else when he's not ball dominant. He's great with the ball in his hands, but he doesn't provide much else offensively.
    we are just going to have to disagree. I think when healthy Rondo is arguably the best point in the world. We are way to far apart on this.

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    Allen was always just a 3 point shooter. Like a Mike Miller but healthy. Of course Curry is better. He will break all his records if healthy.
    If you're just trying to troll...really lame attempt.

If you're serious...what a stupid post.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    If you're just trying to troll...really lame attempt.

If you're serious...what a stupid post.
    These ppl didnt know ray played basketball before boston

And I can't believe that there are ppl that think reggie was a better player then ray

You think curry can carry a team to the conference finals and take the heat to 7 games? Lol Rondo is the best performing point guard in the playoffs for the past 5 yrs. No offense to Curry huge fan of him and I think he is more talented than Rondo and he could be a top 10 player next year but when healthy gimme Rondo over Curry.

Ray is a first ballot HOFer and a top 10 all time SG. Curry has yet to make an all-star team. Yes he was probably deserving last year, but I'm just trying to put things in perspective for those saying Curry is better than an all time great (at his peak). It's amazing how underrated Ray Allen's early years are. Replace Kobe with Ray on the '00-'02 Lakers and he'd be a concensus top 5 all time SG.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Big fan of both. Steph better playmaker Ray more athletic and a better finisher. More durable as well. Overall id take Ray but it's close.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ABfor3
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't considering the fact that I used to live in Seattle during the time he was on the Sonics. I used to watch almost every game, he was a better defender on Boston because he didn't have to carry the scoring load like he had to in Seattle.
    Um. Yes he was. Maybe not to Sonic fans that loved him and were blinded, but to the rest of the league he was notorious for his poor defense. I don't know if you were around but there was a lot of talk about Allen's poor defense even as a Celtic. He improved to be sure, but that probably had to do with the C's having good defensive schemes to cover up his poor defense.

Here are some threads new/old on Ray's defense. Bear with me, it's pretty hard to search for old content.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=153372
    http://redsarmy.com/2012/11/15/heat-...-on-the-court/
    http://celticshub.com/2013/03/28/thi...len-that-much/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...allenra02.html

His Drtg was ridiculously high. In fact, aside from his years with the Celtics/Heat, his Drtg has always been ridiculously close to his Ortg and he's had some high Ortg. In 05'-06', he had a negative in Defensive Win Shares.