Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Clinching Game Stats for MJ, Kobe, LeBron...

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    It's the best we have. Clearly adding that data is a better alternative than ignoring defense altogether.
    No the best we have is watching the games.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease eSOL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avonbarksdale
    legit why would u do that like dont u have anything better to spend your time on?

**** outta this thread then

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by avonbarksdale
    legit why would u do that like dont u have anything better to spend your time on?
    I do actually have better things to spend my time on. I did this all periodically over a 2 week period; doing it all in a couple days would be sad. This site is a fun pastime, but it's not my #1 priority. I spend a lot more time playing basketball, reading, and hanging out with friends then I do crunching these numbers. As to why I crunch these #'s, I'm an NBA junkie, and I'm interested to see how players stack up to eachother, and I figured other people would be interested as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    No the best we have is watching the games.
    Why post any data then? Should have just posted hundreds of youtube links right chief?

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Why post any data then? Should have just posted hundreds of youtube links right chief?
    We'd still come to the same conclusion tho.

Kobe takes bad shots because he tries hard to play hero ball and isn't as effective as Bron or MJ regardless of the defense.

I'm sure if we watch tape on every game, we'll see tons of plays in which they all get double teamed and triple teamed. They all get last second shots in which they have to bail out their offense.

The defensive rating will either average out to be the same or not be distinguishable enough to make any difference.

No matter how you spin it, Kobe is inferior to them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Because people like stats. In reality the only sport that gives us sample sizes that really matter is baseball. Statistics tell me Dan Marino was better than Joe Montana, but reality tells me he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    We'd still come to the same conclusion tho.

Kobe takes bad shots because he tries hard to play hero ball and isn't as effective as Bron or MJ regardless of the defense.

I'm sure if we watch tape on every game, we'll see tons of plays in which they all get double teamed and triple teamed. They all get last second shots in which they have to bail out their offense.

The defensive rating will either average out to be the same or not be distinguishable enough to make any difference.

No matter how you spin it, Kobe is inferior to them.
    Once again if you are convinced of Jordan's supremacy regardless why is there such collective backlash towards including that obvious data in the first place.

Once again if you are convinced of Jordan's supremacy regardless why is there such collective backlash towards including that obvious data in the first place.
    Not trying to be a dick, I don't understand what you're saying, can you rephrase that?

Thanks

The stats, context, and eye test all tell us that MJ is the best of the bunch. Followed by LeBron.

Very good NBA starter

Kobe's and Lebron's numbers will start to tip in the other direction at some point (when Lebron slows down).

And some of these inclusions are quite unfair to Kobe.

97’ G4 vs. POR – 0 PTS, 0 RBS, 0 AST, 0 STL, 0 BLK, 0 TOV, 0/0 FG, 0/0 3P, 0/0 FT WIN
    98’ G3 vs. POR – 4 PTS, 5 RBS, 0 AST, 0 STL, 0 BLK, 1 TOV, 1/6 FG, 0/2 3P, 2/2 FT LOSS
    98’ G5 vs. SEA – 7 PTS, 1 RBS, 0 AST, 0 STL, 1 BLK, 1 TOV, 3/3 FG, 1/1 3P, 0/0 FT WIN

I'm sure he played a lot of minutes in those games.

6:00

Why not limit these stats to starters only?

update: Kobe is at 27.6 points per game as a starter.
    Last edited by Magic 32; 07-14-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Not trying to be a dick, I don't understand what you're saying, can you rephrase that?

Thanks
    Jordan mythologists love posting offensive stats but not TS% and they ignore the defensive context in which those stats were derived. They are also quick to remind you unprovoked that Jordan is the best regardless of not including those stats. If thats the case and they truly believe that how do we explain their reluctance to recognize those stats in the first place.

Jordan mythologists love posting offensive stats but not TS% and they ignore the defensive context in which those stats were derived. They are also quick to remind you unprovoked that Jordan is the best regardless of not including those stats. If thats the case and they truly believe that how do we explain their reluctance to recognize those stats in the first place.
    Dude.

The defense regardless of rating focused on stopping MJ.

He was double and triple teamed when he didn't have an option. Even then, the other offensie threat was usually a shooter to create some space which every team has for the most part (both Kobe and Bron have had a 3pt shooter you couldn't leave open, and well… Kobe had Shaq and Pau creates open looks for him).

So go ahead…. go watch game tapes and you'd see that regardless of pace and DRTG, the defense MJ faced was tougher, more physical and determined to stop him.

As far as TS% MJ will more than likely still win out with his all around game. And that's not including his defense for which he was superior than Kobe.

Dude, any way you wanna slice and dice it MJ and Bron still win out. These stats may not show the full context but it gives us a picture. If one watches them play they'll still come out with the same conclusion, MJ>Bron>KObe

Do you think some of us say Bron is better than Kobe just because? go ask most Mj fans (Or stans) and they'll agree that Bron is a better player while Kobe is the more versatile/skilled scorer.

Or go ask random non MJ fans and they'll more than likely come to the same conclusion.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

[QUOTE=Magic 32]Kobe's and Lebron's numbers will start to tip in the other direction at some point (when Lebron slows down).

National High School Star

[QUOTE=Magic 32]Kobe's and Lebron's numbers will start to tip in the other direction at some point (when Lebron slows down).

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    The thing is, Kobe made the choice himself to come play out of High school, and so he must live with his decision, and so his stats must show for it.
    This is intelligence. Thank You.