Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Who was the better point guard? Kidd vs. Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43
    All very true but another poster claimed that they were not built for the running game which I disagreed with among other things. They wont start the break on their own ala barkley or lebron but give them a decent point guard to run with and they will be good at it albeit not as effective with Jason Kidd leading them
    Yea they were runners to an extent.. RJ was awesome athlete

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard

Sorry nutcase but we are comparing even that Seattle team to the Kidd's first finals team. That Seattle team had two seasoned champions, a post player, and a sharp shooter, and lost in the first round. Kidds team had no winning vets, no consistent shooters, no scorer, no rebounders, not built for the halfcourt, not built for the running game, was a losing franchise with a brand new coach but won three rounds in the playoffs. And to prove it wasn't a fluke they are contenders the next three years. Kidd won six of eight series with that team of young Kenyon and rookie Richard Jefferson. Payton didn't win a series with his better constructed team. Only a fool makes the comparison.
    Okay forget Payton vs. Kidd, but if you think Payton's 2000 supporting cast was better than Kidd's in 2002 this debate is over. . What did Seattle have? 2 seasoned champions? Out of their prime? I guess we should consider it a big edge the Knicks had players like Kidd and Camby last year? A post player? Just A POST PLAYER? Wow this is huge.

Let me break it down for you, tell me what part of you doesn't understand:

Kenyon Martin >>> Vin Baker
    Keith Van Horn >>> Ruben Paterson
    Kerry Kittles = Brent Barry

And I could go on. But you know what, all this doesn't even matter. Your original claim we are arguing was Payton could not even get a winning season in the East with the teams Kidd was playing on.

Let me ask you this, was Payton's 2000 cast at least COMPARABLE to Jason Kidd's Nets cast? Or was Jason Kidds cast so much worse. And ok if they are so much worse, how about the schedule? Was facing Eastern conference teams also tougher?

Gary Payton never finished with a losing season and he played in the west all his years. Unless you think Payton's 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002 supporting casts were WAY better than what Kidd had with K-Mart, R.Jefferson, Kittles, etc.

How can you possibly say Payton would not finish with a winning record in the east?

I don't get it, do you realize how stupid you sound?

And once again, it was the East, Kidd was playing against teams that would most likely not make it out of the Western Conference 1st round (based on record).

How did Kidd do against this WCF while in his prime?

95: Missed Playoffs
    96: Missed Playoffs
    97: 1st round exit
    98: 1st round exit
    99: 1st round exit
    00: Suns get out of the 1st round...Duncan misses the series and so does Kidd. As soon as Kidd comes back in the 2nd round? Out haha
    01: 1st round exit (both Kidd and Duncan play this time)

2 Missed Playoffs and 0-5 series record
    (where Kidd plays at least most the series)

Kidd led teams could not and never did beat any tough competition. I mean what good team has Kidd ever beat in a series in his prime. I don't mean "almost" beat or "took them to ___ games", the 2008 37-45 Hawks took the champion 2008 Celtics to 7 games. Kidd never beat any good team in his prime. 2003 Pistons? Please that team changed as soon as Rasheed Wallace entered in 2004 and we all know who won that series.

High School Starter

I still haven't heard why Kidd's horrible shooting % also occurred in his many years in the west, also the argument that Kidd was top 5 mvp candidate twice so he's better then Payton so you are also saying cp3 is much better then Kidd as he has 4 or 5 top mvp votes and he maybe halfway through his career