Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Thomas Robinson to Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Didn't Boston essentially give up nothing for the 13th?
    They gave up #16 and two seconds. Doubt you would have gotten it for just the two second rounders.

Awesome, love this trade! Robinson will be fantastic coming off the bench, and has potential to be able to start down the track if Lamarcus Aldridge leaves

I thought Robinson would be a bust before he was drafted. High motor is great but you need skill. He isn't very skilled and he's undersized. If the Rockets and Kings gave up I think that's a sign he won't ever live up to expectations.

I expect literally nothing from this guy. This is Thabeet all over again. There is a reason he's being traded. Guys don't rot on the bench when they are good.

Overrated guy.. PF without post moves and outside shooting

Mark my words, this is going to turn out just like JJ Hickson did for Portland. Hickson, like Robsinson did not have a solid home in the NBA but proved he can play tough with a high motor and rebound. Robinson is the same with a high rebound rate

If Portland gives him 25 minutes a game I can see 10/7, especially playing next to Aldridge who will command double teams and will also pull a big man from the paint which will help Robsinson just like it helped Hickson.

I LOVE this move.

Now all the Blazers need is a starting center...

Local High School Star fragokota's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    Now all the Blazers need is a starting center...
    how about Oden

Quote Originally Posted by fragokota
    how about Oden
    Pretty big risk

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I thought Robinson would be a bust before he was drafted. High motor is great but you need skill. He isn't very skilled and he's undersized. If the Rockets and Kings gave up I think that's a sign he won't ever live up to expectations.

I expect literally nothing from this guy. This is Thabeet all over again. There is a reason he's being traded. Guys don't rot on the bench when they are good.
    this. Dude was massively overhyped and couldnt even compete in the summer league last year. There is a reason two teams have sold him for peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    this. Dude was massively overhyped and couldnt even compete in the summer league last year. There is a reason two teams have sold him for peanuts
    Two teams had a close look at a him, still decided to let him go for close to nothing. I wouldn't expect much from him.

Morey has a habit of giving "busts" opportunities. Terrance Williams, Thabeet, Robinson. He hasn't hit a homer yet, maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    What?

First of all, the Kings shouldn't have drafted him anyways due to their depth at the 4 & 5 which is why he was traded. 2nd, the Kings didn't trade him for "peanuts".

Also, Robinson was being hyped by casual fans, ESPN and the normal hype machines because of his NCAA tourney run. If you read scouting reports, they clearly say he is not yet there offensively but he has POTENTIAL to be a pick & roll/pick & pop player in the future & that he is all around green on both ends of the floor. One scouting report have him becoming, at most, a good role player at the PF spot, which is what I also see.

He works very hard, plays with a lot of energy & rebounds at almost the same rate as JJ Hickson. He'll be able to develop offensively learning from LaMarcus Aldridge.

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    Two teams had a close look at a him, still decided to let him go for close to nothing. I wouldn't expect much from him.

Morey has a habit of giving "busts" opportunities. Terrance Williams, Thabeet, Robinson. He hasn't hit a homer yet, maybe someday.
    Thought this move was more about clearing $ for Dwight. Robinson makes like $4 million a year, might as well dump him if it helps up Dwight's offer.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
    What?

First of all, the Kings shouldn't have drafted him anyways due to their depth at the 4 & 5 which is why he was traded. 2nd, the Kings didn't trade him for "peanuts".

Also, Robinson was being hyped by casual fans, ESPN and the normal hype machines because of his NCAA tourney run. If you read scouting reports, they clearly say he is not yet there offensively but he has POTENTIAL to be a pick & roll/pick & pop player in the future & that he is all around green on both ends of the floor. One scouting report have him becoming, at most, a good role player at the PF spot, which is what I also see.

He works very hard, plays with a lot of energy & rebounds at almost the same rate as JJ Hickson. He'll be able to develop offensively learning from LaMarcus Aldridge.
    He was taken 5th overall in a very deep draft. Sure, there was a ridiculous amount of hype around him led by general fans and ESPN among others, but obviously at least one GM thought enough of him to take him in front of Damian Lillard, Andre Drummond and Harrison Barnes, among others.

That isn't just casual overrating of a prospect... I never understood the hype around him and still don't. Portland has nothing to lose by taking this gamble, so it's smart in that way, but I wouldn't expect much to come from it.

As for the comparisons to JJ Hickson, he already had an impressive start to his career. Hickson was a starter on a 60+ win Cavs team as a young, developing guy. Sure, his departure to Sacramento didn't turn out well, but people had already seen JJ play at a pretty high level.

Robinson? There's a reason he couldn't get minutes in either Houston or Sacramento and it wasn't due to depth. Top 5 picks shouldn't be relegated to garbage time, especially Top 5 picks that spent three years in college.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Wavves
    Awesome, love this trade! Robinson will be fantastic coming off the bench, and has potential to be able to start down the track if Lamarcus Aldridge leaves
    Look, I have no problem with people supporting this kid and hoping he sorts it out some day, but this sort of post just makes me throw up in my mouth.

You clearly have not watched this kid play in the NBA.

How is he going to be fantastic coming off the bench all of the sudden? He was horrible coming off the bench this year. Really bad.

He has to work hard to be a serviceable bench player, not to be a star.

In a few years he'll have either got it sorted out and found a role as an energy guy and rebounder or he'll be playing in China.

Quote Originally Posted by 33teeth
    Look, I have no problem with people supporting this kid and hoping he sorts it out some day, but this sort of post just makes me throw up in my mouth.

You clearly have not watched this kid play in the NBA.

How is he going to be fantastic coming off the bench all of the sudden? He was horrible coming off the bench this year. Really bad.

He has to work hard to be a serviceable bench player, not to be a star.

In a few years he'll have either got it sorted out and found a role as an energy guy and rebounder or he'll be playing in China.
    I completly understand why people would say the things they do about him, for the most part what they do say is partially true. But I saw some games that he played for Houston where he came in and scored 10 points with some great rebounds.

His per 36 numbers are pretty good, which proves that he hustles and makes an impact when he is on the floor. I like the kid, hopefully he can turn out to be better.