Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: LeBron vs Larry Bird 1 on 1

If Bird could abuse Pippen and Jordan trying to shut him down, then Lebron can go down just as heavy.

Man-to-man defending is just not that big of a factor. A great offensive player is almost always going to get his. The defensive player may only slow him down a little.

I think it would be pretty even, not sure really. When you have players this great it often falls to who is feeling good on the day.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    I love Bird but come one man? Better SF defenders than Lebron who used to guard Bird? In the 80s? Can you give me one name? Have a hard time recalling any better SF defenders than Lebron in the 80s ... There was indeed perhaps some better defender in the 80s, but none could have guarded Bird better than Lebron.... they were to tall or to undersized like the 6'5/170lbs Cooper.... all were mismatches... Pippen was around, but im not entirely sure that rookie/soph was a better defender...

Hm.. who could it be.. are you maybe thinking of Bobby Jones? He had the size / strength to guard Bird... but Bobby was way out of his prime and retired in the early 80s...

Even if you want to have it your way, then lets just say Lebron would be able to guard Bird much better than Bird could guard him..... agree? :)
    Well, Larry Bird did say Michael Cooper was the person who guard him the toughest and the best. He did face against Paul Pressey, Dan Roundfield, Rodman, Okaley, Pippen, and Horace Grant.

Some of them like Pippen and Grant faced them out of his prime while they were in their prime, and when Bird was in his prime they were just starting out.

With that said though, Bird vs LeBron would be interesting. Both can win.

Lebron would beat Bird 1 on 1 (probably pretty easily) but that doesnt mean too much.. Bird's value wasnt in his 1 on 1 skills.. it was his in floor knowledge and smarts during a game of 5 on 5 game. he was a crafty player who was always a step ahead of most players.. and he could shoot the lights out..

just have to respect Bird for what he was

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara
    If you play basketball you know that if there are two players of similar size and skill the game can go anyway. Why are people going out and disrespecting bird? Bird has a competitive edge that lebron seems to not have, in basketball mental toughness and belief in yourself eclipses athleticism and potential every time. The man played a game only finishing with his left for the sake of it i mean cmon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8
    But this video is an exhibit of how well Bird played within a TEAM environment. Not one on one. One on one is a totally different animal. I just cant see Bird being able to take a player of Lebron James caliber off the dribble or post him up. And He sure as hell cant stay in front of James.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    If Bird could abuse Pippen and Jordan trying to shut him down, then Lebron can go down just as heavy.

Man-to-man defending is just not that big of a factor. A great offensive player is almost always going to get his. The defensive player may only slow him down a little.

I think it would be pretty even, not sure really. When you have players this great it often falls to who is feeling good on the day.
    In a game of 1 on 1? Dont be ridiculous. Bird doesnt have the ability to compete with James 1 on 1

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32

Of course 97 bulls comes out of the woodwork to bash on Bird.

This is the same guy who said Gerald Green would beat Bird in 1-on-1.

Yes he said that. Clueless hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Of course 97 bulls comes out of the woodwork to bash on Bird.

This is the same guy who said Gerald Green would beat Bird in 1-on-1.

Yes he said that. Clueless hater.
    And I stand by that.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Scottie Pippen, Derek Mckey, Rodney Mccray, Michael Jordan, Dennis rodman, Larry Nance, and Sidney Moncrief were all better on the ball defenders of a player like Bird than Lebron generally is.

Lebrons defense man to man is only exceptional on players he can back off from to prevent the drive but use his length and closeout speed to still contest the jumper against. He cant back off Bird. And while hes been good in the post vs physical players ive not seem him guard too many of the Bird type who specialize not in using physical ability to get a good shot...but in making what appears to be a bad shot.

Lebron either concedes looks in favor of not allowing drives, finds himself out of position and flat out allows the drive because he plays with rim protectors/floppers and he doesnt want to foul, or denies position on big bodied forwards and he fronts very well.

None of which I find too useful vs Bird. He already has the ball so there is no fronting him. You play off and hes making the jumper. You cant just let him blow by in a one on one game.

Ive not seen Lebron attempt to be a Bruce Bowenish "You shall not pass!" defender too often.

And if he tried I dont imagine it would work better than the others who played Bird to deny the jumper.

But one on one anyone could win. I remember a story on some Bulls scrub barely losing to Jordan one on one and getting refused a rematch.

Bill Walton told a story on being up like 10-2 on Bird on on one before Bird got it back and went 9 straight for the win. Clearly Walton at least hung in there.

On that level one on one....make it take it? Its anyones game.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    In a game of 1 on 1? Dont be ridiculous. Bird doesnt have the ability to compete with James 1 on 1
    He shoots better, is a better post player and a good man-to-man defender...you make it sound like Bird wouldn't get a point.

Local High School Star

LECHOKE WILL CHOKE AGAINST BIRD

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    1 on 1 with a basketball is not really the actual sport of basketball. Its not the game that (most) professionals spent their time practicing and developing. So those comparisons are pretty irrelevant.
    This.

I've never understand why some people are so occupied with how so-and-so would do against so-and-so in a game of one-on-one, when any non-street basketball isn't one-on-one.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    He shoots better, is a better post player and a good man-to-man defender...you make it sound like Bird wouldn't get a point.
    Im not knocking Bird. 1 v 1 is about iso offense and man defense only. I just dont see Bird being able to stay in front of James or any atheltic player his height.

Now if James were 6'? Even with the same athleticism, hed have no shot vs Bird because of Birds jumper and post game.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    This.

I've never understand why some people are so occupied with how so-and-so would do against so-and-so in a game of one-on-one, when any non-street basketball isn't one-on-one.
    I disagree.

Some aspects of one on one basketball is played in professional sports as well as street ball. If some guy isn't a good defender that is guarding your good offensively player, they would give the good O player the ball to abuse him. You see this in the NBA and etc. Because this is the mistmatch.

One on one don't have a great impact in terms of team ball, but it does exists within the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Im not knocking Bird. 1 v 1 is about iso offense and man defense only. I just dont see Bird being able to stay in front of James or any atheltic player his height.

Now if James were 6'? Even with the same athleticism, hed have no shot vs Bird because of Birds jumper and post game.
    You don't have to be taller or more physical to get past Lebron. You've boiled it down solely to athleticism. I've seen Bird abuse defenders using head and pump fakes. I forget who it was that said (he was a notable player) that he found it mentally exhausting marking Bird because he was so smart.