Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wade's "travel", this is not a travel.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Of course technically its a travel.
    But it shouldn't have been called travel. If that's a travel, I expect 20 travels called next game. And 45 carry violations.
    If we are going to get technical, I expect 19 3 second violations.
    it absolutely shouuld have been called. nothing technical about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    when yo make that move...you have to bounce the ball just as you lift up your pivot ( wades left foot)...and he did that.

when he catches the ball....he keeps his left foot down and moves his right foot ( now his left foot is automatically his pivot.....he goes left with a cross step ( stepping with his Right leg)...(at this point he has to keep his left foot down until he dribbles once)......

( and he does...he take one dribble)....Just as the ball lands on the court he pushes off his right foot( his left foot comes off the ground when he goes into a stepback)

taking that 1 dribble allowed him to reset his feet...making it a legit move.
    So essentially what we are debating is which is the pivot foot and i believe it to be the right, but whatevs. Ive watched this replay over and over and now Im not sure...its gettin late here and Im going to bed. :

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Just to get some clarity, it seems we both agree that it WAS a travel. So now I'm just curious about some technicalities/wording issues.

I don't care about the process of a "travel". I care about possession, and when the rules of possession are broken (see: he traveled). Wade did possess the ball when his right foot was down, as stated in my post, correct? So am I wrong in assuming that that same "start-of-possession" should also be used in determining if he did or did not travel? I don't understand why you called the act of possession, and the placement of his feet at the time, invalid.
    Because the action of the travel started in count 2. He wasn't carrying out count 1 in definition.

It's only opinion and i guess, anyways going to bed :

Clutchbrook Activated WWRWestbrookDo?'s Avatar

He could have gotten away with it but that slight hitch and hesitation made it a travel

Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    It's funny that some are responding with "do you even play basketball?"

Steve Kerr has played more than all of you guys (at a professional, championship level mind you) and he said he wasn't even sure it was a travel when looking at the replay.

It wasn't.
    I think it's because the gif makes it look like he collects the ball after a dribble and puts it on the floor again. That's what I thought initially. Looking at the whole play in full speed (I did not watch the game) I actually think it is a bad call, and I don't care much for Wade or the Heat.

The NBA is so lax on travels anyway, it's not very consistent to call this when players do shit like this all the time.

Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheFan
    it is a travel...

But the op is one smart@ss, the gif does not show the full play.

- He receives the ball from Chalmers.
    - Takes one dribble.
    - Stops, right here HE IS NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE MORE STEPS.
    - he pump fakes, dribbles and takes the step back... but it does not matter since he is not allowed to take more steps after the first time he stops.

Here is the fullplay: pay close attention to the beginning when Chalmers passes to Wade:
    Play
    Not sure what you are talking about. He receives a pass from Chalmers, he does not dribble at all. He collects the PASS, takes one dribble stepping forward, collects and takes two steps in a stepback. I honestly don't think it was a travel.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

it is a travel...

- Takes one dribble.
    - he pump fakes, dribbles and takes the step back... but it does not matter since he is not allowed to take more steps after the first time he stops.

Here is the fullplay: pay close attention to the beginning when Chalmers passes to Wade:
    Play
    First of all, referee Steve Javie already came out and said it wasn't a travel as mentioned on Mike & Mike.

Secondly, the real explanation is this. He takes a one step dribble onto his right foot towards the basket and with it, he makes an instant body motion shift backwards for a step back. It's clear he was going to perform a step-back from the very beginning. Yes, he had a split hesitation before lifting his right foot. That foot however is not considered an immovable pivot unless he maintains full control of the ball which is unclear; he was still gathering it from the bounce from his initial dribble. You can argue he palmed the ball with his left hand while he right foot was still planted, but I don't think he maintained full control of the ball yet. It's like a wide receiver who looks to have caught the ball only to be hit by a defender and popped the ball loose. No fumble because the receiver never had complete control of the ball in his sole possession.

Third, Joey Crawford blew the whistle behind D-Wade without a clear view of the play.
    Last edited by Mass Debator; 05-29-2013 at 12:30 PM.

el pollo loco siiiiiii

it is a travel...

- Takes one dribble.

Play
    blind f-uck it was a small bounce pass from Chalmers.

The only way this could have been called a travel is because those 2 mini steps he took when in motion in receiving the ball but instead of shooting he picked it up......but then you'll have to call travel on 90% of all the shooters who come of screens and decide to not shoot and put the ball down on the floor.

BTW this gets called a travel every single time in a High School game.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Steve Javie, Stu Jackson, Steve Kerr and myself (a legend of the hardwood).

We all say it's not a travel, and people are still arguing.

Oh well, I forgive those in the wrong since it was a complex move. You have to study to slow motion replay over and over. If you still don't "get it", it's simply a move beyond your comprehension.

It was a slow stepback that looked awkward and confusing, but it was within the rules.

It's funny that this has happened to Wade before. His footwork is just too advanced for some to understand.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...rlotte-bobcats

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    So essentially what we are debating is which is the pivot foot and i believe it to be the right, but whatevs. Ive watched this replay over and over and now Im not sure...its gettin late here and Im going to bed. :

- when he first catches the ball......he moves his right foot back....then forward This automatically establishes that his LEFT foot is his pivot.

- his left foot stays planted until he takes his dribble....

- his right foot could not be the pivot.....

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    - when he first catches the ball......he moves his right foot back....then forward This automatically establishes that his LEFT foot is his pivot.

- his left foot stays planted until he takes his dribble....

- his right foot could not be the pivot.....
    i didnt bother reading through all 11 pages, but did no one else bring this up?? the first thing i noticed in that gif was that wade switched his pivot foot. No doubt that was a travel despite what crazy scenarios or instances you apologists want to use

People who use this step back move will say that its not a travel.

that's not a travel

Decent college freshman

Someone please compile a list of all the people still calling it a travel after Steve Javie and Stu Jackson have already said it wasn't. We need a list of people whose opinion on basketball shouldn't even be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    i didnt bother reading through all 11 pages, but did no one else bring this up?? the first thing i noticed in that gif was that wade switched his pivot foot. No doubt that was a travel despite what crazy scenarios or instances you apologists want to use

What? you re-establish your pivot foot after you pick up your dribble, not before you dribble. SMH

It's not a travel and that .gif does not show the full play.