Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Default Re: Tim Duncan > Kobe Bryant "Never missed the playoffs"

Tim Duncan has been irrelevant since 2007 after Parker won the Finals MVP over him. While Kobe has been the best scorer, champion, and top player in the league for over a decade. Dirk called Kobe the player of their generation. His opinion matters more than some nobody/unknown troll on the internet.

'00 - Duncan
    '01 - Duncan (very close IMO)
    '02 - Duncan
    '03 - Duncan
    '04 - Duncan
    '05 - Duncan
    '06 - Kobe
    '07 - Kobe
    '08 - Kobe
    '09 - Kobe
    '10 - Kobe
    '11 - Kobe
    '12 - Kobe
    '13 - Kobe

Overall? I would take Duncan in his prime, but it's close. People saying otherwise are either biased or completely uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    Tim Duncan has been irrelevant since 2007 after Parker won the Finals MVP over him. While Kobe has been the best scorer, champion, and top player in the league for over a decade. Dirk called Kobe the player of their generation. His opinion matters more than some nobody/unknown troll on the internet.
    And Michael Jordan called Kobe is a top 10 guard all-time.
    Julius Erving called KAJ the g.o.a.t.

Your very first sentence just gives the hint about you but...

The ISH'ers Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    And so did Wade and so is the true consensus inside the NBA. Why should anyone care about what others opinions are? Unless there is something fun in trolling. I will admit I engage in it quite often. At the end of the day I don't have to punch faces cause someone disgust me for their stupidity. That in fact would be stupid of me.

arggg uhhg damn, just another........ dump. Carry on fellas - thread is smelly.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    '00 - Duncan
    '02 - Duncan
    '03 - Duncan
    '04 - Duncan
    '05 - Duncan
    '06 - Kobe
    '07 - Kobe
    '08 - Kobe
    '09 - Kobe
    '10 - Kobe
    '11 - Kobe
    '12 - Kobe
    '13 - Kobe

Overall? I would take Duncan in his prime, but it's close. People saying otherwise are either biased or completely uneducated.
    This is all that needs to be said. Kobe's the man, Duncan's the man and both deserve respect.

High School Varsity 6th Man justin43's Avatar

I been gone for ISH for a long time, but some things have always remained the same. Plenty of haters and stans on both sides of the argument.

Facts Are Misleading

Some of you guys saying Duncan has been irrelevant since 2007....SMH.

Am I the only one who would take Tim Duncan this year over Kobe this year?

Obviously Kobe does more on offense, but his defense is terrible at this point. He doesn't even try half the time.

Tim Duncan was arguably the best big man in the league on a top 3 team. Top level defense and rebounding. Very good scoring and great passing.

I'll take that over Kobe the DH.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    Some of you guys saying Duncan has been irrelevant since 2007....SMH.

Obviously Kobe does more on offense, but his defense is terrible at this point. He doesn't even try half the time.

Tim Duncan was arguably the best big man in the league on a top 3 team. Top level defense and rebounding. Very good scoring and great passing.

I'll take that over Kobe the DH.

I thought they were both great. I thought Kobe was better at his best, but your points are valid. Certainly we all agree you'd take Duncan now that Kobe got injured.

And that is part of this. The Kobe proponents can't knock Duncan for his production/minutes...and then turn around and not factor in Kobe wearing down the last few years...culminating with his injury.

I don't get why people can't see the obvious. If Duncan was playing 36 plus minutes a game as the focal point of an average team...he'd probably put up 24/11/3 or something great. But he'd also wear down and likely get injured the way Kobe has...

But Duncan would not be better because he put up those numbers. It's just a non argument when you have older players like this that clearly should be playing controlled minutes. Kobe got by in part by being a genetic freak and tough as shit...but also resting for at least half of the game defensively. I think its fair to say Kobe took close to half of defensive possessions off this year.

And while indvidual offense is definitely more important than individual defense...Duncan's elite defense combined with his more than solid scoring, rebounding, and passing makes him an undervalued player if you judge him solely on his numbers.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    '00 - Duncan
    '02 - Duncan
    '03 - Duncan
    '04 - Duncan
    '05 - Duncan
    '06 - Kobe
    '07 - Kobe
    '08 - Kobe
    '09 - Kobe
    '10 - Kobe
    '11 - Kobe
    '12 - Kobe
    '13 - Kobe

Let me get you a clue.

There is precisely 0% chance that prime Tim Duncan would ever miss the playoffs unless the team was literally ALL from the NBDL... and even then it's questionable.

Prime Kobe did it.

It's not close.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
    Let me get you a clue.

There is precisely 0% chance that prime Tim Duncan would ever miss the playoffs unless the team was literally ALL from the NBDL... and even then it's questionable.

Prime Kobe did it.

It's not close.
    Neither would a healthy prime Kobe. I think 05 is just a throw away year and doesn't mean much. Kobe bulked up way too much in the off season (i think that was the year) and just wasn't himself.

I don't think 05 Kobe is representative of anything really. But having said that...it does count as a year...and can't be ignored when comparing the longevity of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
    Let me get you a clue.

Prime Kobe did it.

It's not close.

"Prime Kobe" was injured for a quarter of that season, iirc. Missed over 15 games too.

On a side note, I can't believe I'm defending Kobe

Kobe's career turned out the way I wanted T-Mac's career to turn out

Old man Kobe is still better than PRIME Melo. How the hell is Kobe on the same level as Melo?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    No, you're not. Duncan was a revitalized and elite defender this year. Duncan is a vastly superior teammate and leader. The gap in offense in favor of Kobe isn't as big as the gap in those other two categories, in favor of Duncan. Besides, Timmy's offense was pretty damn good, 17/18 points on 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
    No, you're not. Duncan was a revitalized and elite defender this year. Duncan is a vastly superior teammate and leader. The gap in offense in favor of Kobe isn't as big as the gap in those other two categories, in favor of Duncan. Besides, Timmy's offense was pretty damn good, 17/18 points on 50%.
    27ppg on 57%TS >>>>> 18ppg on 55.4%TS. That's a HUGE gap.
    on the other hand, Duncan's defense this year >>>> Kobe's.

So they pretty much even out.