Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe Bryant: top 6 GOAT

Hakeem is most definitely NOT better than Kobe. Kobe is the best Laker of all time, meaning he's better than Magic and also West (who some claim is the 2nd best SG of all time...NO). The 2nd best SG of all time is Kobe. MJ is obviously the best. Bird and Kobe are close on the all time list. I'd say for now, Bird has the edge, but if Kobe comes back after his Achille's injury and dominates like he did this season, he moves above Bird. Kobe is 6th!

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by dh144498
    except no one has done that and you are using that to justify the fact that kobe avging 25 ppg for 17 years is not impressive....

That's not what I'm saying at all. Averaging 25 ppg for 13 years (his best season was 21.4 in his first 4) is an extraordinary feat. however, he stated that just scoring 30000 points and having 5 rings is enough to get him into the top 5 which is obviously bullshit as someone could have a mediocre and lengthy career and hit those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased_one
    "the simple fact of scoring over 30,000 pts and winning 5 NBA Titles pus him in that position..."

That's not context.

Again, of the 8 players I gave who exactly is he greater than?
    Read the whole post.....

april 2013

That's not what I'm saying at all. Averaging 25 ppg for 13 years (his best season was 21.4 in his first 4) is an extraordinary feat. however, he stated that just scoring 30000 points and having 5 rings is enough to get him into the top 5 which is obviously bullshit as someone could have a mediocre and lengthy career and hit those numbers.

except no one has ever done that......in NBA History.

....that's like saying "someone could play 3 seasons and score 30,000 pts and win 3 NBA Titles"....meh.

Banned

No mediocre player scores 30,000 points. You aren't this stupid. Quit acting like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    No mediocre player scores 30,000 points. You aren't this stupid. Quit acting like it.

but if you play 30 years and average 12 pts a game....

aww F@ck it.

I rule the local playground GoSpursGo1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Playoff points and career points are purely a result of Kobe remaining healthy(luck based), number of seasons and minutes.

And I never bought into this "longevity" notion.

Too many whatifs, and aren't we grading the GOAT by level or peak the player reached in their respective primes? Along with how that player acheived team and individual awards and championships?

If we used longevity and career points as a measuring stick, then I guess a player who is healthy enough(luck based) to play 30 seasons(slight exagerration I know) and been around long enough to score them is somehow given props on that? Assuming Iverson played 30 seasons and stayed healthy and achieves career points and longevity, how could you boost him higher on an All-time list above guys who you know were better players? Makes no sense to me...

Give any of the top 10 an injury free career with the amount of minutes and games Kobe had, and I guarantee that they would be ahead of Kobe and have far more achievements to what they currently have. Jordan for eg. would be miles ahead on career points. I still have Kareem high on my all time list, and its not because of longevity and career points...
    Some of not being injured is luck but a lot of it is being in shape and working in the off season and we know Shaq was lazy at times and out of shape. Longevity plays a big role in how we see players that is why people are amazed Kobe or Duncan or playing so well in their mid to late 30's. It makes a players career look better if they can play longer playing at a good rate.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Suppose ray allen had entered the league straight from high school. He's about to be 38, and he's still shooting the ball well. He could realistically play another 5 years (although I doubt he will). Let's say he averages 10 ppg for the next five years and averaged 10 ppg during the years from high school. That's a 30000 point career for a slightly changed ray allen right there with some pretty conservative predictions.

An even more conservative prediction would be to say that he retired right now, but entered the league 3 years earlier (as he would have had the option to do). let's give him an extra 2500 points for those 3 seasons (he got 1100 in his rookie season). Then beacuse he enters his prime later, we'll bump his prime up by 2 years. Then he's got 28000 points.

No-one is accusing ray allen of being a top 10 player, and yet if he had decided to enter the nba out of high school he would most likely have roughly 30000 points by now (and he's not even done yet).

Banned

Suppose ray allen had entered the league straight from high school. He's about to be 38, and he's still shooting the ball well. He could realistically play another 5 years (although I doubt he will). Let's say he averages 10 ppg for the next five years and averaged 10 ppg during the years from high school. That's a 30000 point career for a slightly changed ray allen right there with some pretty conservative predictions.

An even more conservative prediction would be to say that he retired right now, but entered the league 3 years earlier (as he would have had the option to do). let's give him an extra 2500 points for those 3 seasons (he got 1100 in his rookie season). Then beacuse he enters his prime later, we'll bump his prime up by 2 years. Then he's got 28000 points.

No-one is accusing ray allen of being a top 10 player, and yet if he had decided to enter the nba out of high school he would most likely have roughly 30000 points by now (and he's not even done yet).
    Guess I was wrong. You are this stupid.

Serious playground baller

Good post. These longevity kids are dumb as shit.

Who would you rather build around
    10k points in 3 years
    or
    10k points in 15 years

According to the Kobe stans they'd be on equal footing. Kobe at his best is not even close to anyone else at their best. I don't see why I would reward Kobe for irrelevant seasons(like this past one) that had no bearing but to pad his scoring stats.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Suppose, could have, would have, let's say

8-11 .

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Consensus highest is 12

Agreed. 7-10 isn't bad either though.

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    8-11 .
    Not even close to 8th or 9th. The highest he'd be is 12th and even then, he's soon going to drop to 13th as Curry surpasses him within a year or two.

Meanwhile lebron is 2-3