Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: No team will EVER win a championship with Carmelo Anthony

I hate the Knicks more than any team in any sport.

butttttttt......they had a good thing going at some point, it just came apart because of a number of reasons.

-JR Smith becoming a distraction and letting it effect his play.
    -Tyson Chandler reverting back to Bobcats Tyson that was thrown around from team to team.
    -Amare coming back. Guy is just trash.

Melo was pretty much forced to chuck shots since their only other consistant threat(JR) was playing like dogshit because of his partying and other hoodrat bullshit.

They are built similar to the Mavs that beat Miami, so i think the GM is doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    It's just a fact of life. He's a low IQ chucker and a black hole to every offense in the NBA. The only teams he fits in well on are bad teams with no offense that will suck anyways.
    no say......

Very good NBA starter

And Kobe will never win because he's selfish and doesn't make his teammates better...

And LeBron will never win because he's too ball-dominant and is a choker...

And Dirk will never because he's soft...

blah blah blah

I don't think Anthony is good enough to be a #1, but you'd think people would stop dealing in absolutes after whats gone the past couple of years..

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Dirk was a contender pretty much every year for a decade, and a top player in the league.

Melo is a complete joke. Except for a few retards no one thinks he's a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77x
    This has "A dirk led team will never win a championship" written all over it.
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    Dirk was a contender pretty much every year for a decade, and a top player in the league.

Melo is a complete joke. Except for a few retards no one thinks he's a great player.
    Dirk played on a contending team pretty much every year for a decade.

Fixed it for you. And while Melo isnt as great as the German, he definitely can win with the right cast and coaching. Both of them have similarities too - hardly play any defense, but when they get hot - nobody can stop them. At the end of RS Melo was tearing NBA apart.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Pretty much.

Dirk played on a contending team pretty much every year for a decade.

Fixed it for you. And while Melo isnt as great as the German, he definitely can win with the right cast and coaching. Both of them have similarities too - hardly play any defense, but when they get hot - nobody can stop them. At the end of RS Melo was tearing NBA apart.
    How are you defining a contending team? Certainly 03, 06, and 11 were teams capable of winning...albeit they required all time great play from Dirk to do so...certainly in 06 and 11. Of course, if you are looking at those teams from a Duncan or Hakeem or Shaq perspective...than there might be a few years in which those teams were legit contenders if they replace Dirk. But I don't think that makes much sense considering it was Dirk playing and the team was sadly often poorly built around Dirk at times.

But I'd like to know what your definition is. Because teams with Damp and Terry and Howard and Harris may be good to very good teams...but I wouldn't call them contenders year in year out along the lines of the teams winning the title each year from 02 on. Other than the 03 Spurs...I don't see one title team that didn't have more talent and better coaching...

When you have a star player putting up 26/11/3 for nearly a decade in the playoffs on some of the best scoring efficiency of all time for a high volume playoff scorer...it calls into question how good his teams are if those teams aren't having playoff success.

Melo is the exact opposite.

So lets get right down to this;

Dirk in the playoffs for his career 26/10/3 58.4% TS

Melo in the playoffs for his career 26/7/3 51.3% TS

So aside from Dirk blowing him out of the water as a scorer. Dirk is easier to play with and a better teammate. Dirk plays better defense. Dirk is more clutch....etc. etc. etc.

So it's actually a terrible comparison. One player is a selfish ball dominant chucker that doesn't play team ball and only impacts the game holding the ball on the wing. He's a much worse defender and to top it all off....horribly inefficient scoring the same amount....rofl
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-19-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

I don't think he will ever win a championship as the "man" but if he goes to a talented team as a second option then he'll have a better chance

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosBoozer
    I don't think he will ever win a championship as the "man" but if he goes to a talented team as a second option then he'll have a better chance
    The problem with inefficient ball dominant wings that don't create well for other teammates is that they bring very little to the table without the ball.

So while I agree that he'd have a better chance at winning as a 2nd option, he'd likely have to improve his level of play to win....unless he just became a role player taking significantly less shots and playing the 6th man role or something.

I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. I still think Melo was a top 10 player this year...but it just goes to show you how hard it is to win the title as the clear cut best player on the team.

Very few players...even in the history of the game could do that. Melo simply is not one of them to date. He'd have to completely change his game to do so.

That is the difference between him and Dirk. The problem for Dirk was his team strength and what kind of team he had. With Melo...the problem is his inefficient chucking and lack of team play. Huge difference that people aren't understanding.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    The problem with inefficient ball dominant wings that don't create well for other teammates is that they bring very little to the table without the ball.

So while I agree that he'd have a better chance at winning as a 2nd option, he'd likely have to improve his level of play to win....unless he just became a role player taking significantly less shots and playing the 6th man role or something.

I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. I still think Melo was a top 10 player this year...but it just goes to show you how hard it is to win the title as the clear cut best player on the team.

Very few players...even in the history of the game could do that. Melo simply is not one of them to date. He'd have to completely change his game to do so.

That is the difference between him and Dirk. The problem for Dirk was his team strength and what kind of team he had. With Melo...the problem is his inefficient chucking and lack of team play. Huge difference that people aren't understanding.
    Agreed, he just doesn't have the tools like championship proven superstars (Lebron, Kobe, Dirk ..etc) They all have different ways of approaching the game aside from scoring, in fact Dirk can just take 12 shots and still be incredibly effective in a game. Lebron and kobe can turn into defensive beasts in the clutch or rebound and assist instead of jacking up shot after shot.

Melo will really need to revamp his entire playstyle to get a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    Let me expand on this,
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=90

More accurate counting the shots outside of the paint (no so many overlapping shots), and then subtracting to the total.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotch...meId=400464469

Knicks 29 shots in the paint, 17 fta
    Pacers 33 shots in the paint, 33 fta

http://espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=400464468

Knicks 31 shots in the paint, 18 fta
    Pacers 32 shots in the paint, 46 fta

It's hilarious really.
    stop blaming the refs you cry baby

Idiot OP must think if Lebron had Felton and JR as sidekicks he wouldn't have teamed up with Bosh and Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    Idiot OP must think if Lebron had Felton and JR as sidekicks he wouldn't have teamed up with Bosh and Wade.
    you =

Melo has the heart and will to win a championship. He just didn't have enough help.

The key player was Felton, who disappeared. I like Prigs, but he doesn't have Felton's ability to get into the lane.

Felton was missing too many floaters, and I think he got frustrated. Once he didn't show up big, the Knicks were done.

Dirk is a much better player than Carmelo, I don't see any comparison at all.

Still, those threads usually backfire somehow
    Carmelo could win on a very stacked team, or a second option, or as a ringchaser late in his career... many things could happen.

As a first option no. Unless he starts to be a all-around-no-isos player