Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Great college starter

Default Kobe vs. Comparable Defensive Rated Teams of Jordan's Era

This is a snip-it of what Kobe's stats MIGHT like look if he were playing in the 80's/early 90's. This is based off of stats from teams of his era, playing at similar defensive ratings and game pace. (From 2000-2010 seasons)

Average league D-rating from 87-93 = 107.9
    Average game pace from 87-93 = 99.4

Since their weren't alot of teams pulling off that high of game pace back then, i have to take the highest ones at around 107.9 D-rating.

24 teams total, 77 games total.

The teams with this criteria were:

1. Warriors - 23 games
    2. Suns - 14 games
    3. Nuggets - 14 games
    4. Pacers - 6 games
    5. Sonics - 4 games
    6. Magic - 4 games
    7. Kings - 4 game
    8. Mavericks - 4 games
    9. Wizards - 2 games
    10. Cavs - 2 games

The D-rating of these teams = 107.7
    average game pace = 95.7

Kobe's numbers vs. these teams:

29.4ppg on 46.9%FG at 21.6 FG's per game.
    33.6% 3FG at 4.7 attempts
    8.4 FT's per game.
    2-point conversion rate = 50.6%FG
    eFG% = 50.5%
    6.2 rebs, 6.0 assists, 1.5 steals

For comparisons sake, i put Jordan' numbers up vs. the comparable teams of his era who also had similar D-ratings and game pace.

22 teams, 73 games total:

Average D-rating = 107.8
    average game pace = 95.7

33.2ppg on 51.7%FG at 24.9 FG's per game.
    29.1%3FG at 2.0 attempts per game.
    8.1 FTA
    2-point conversion rate = 53.7%FG
    eFG% = 52.9%
    6.5 rebs, 5.4 assists, 2.8 steals

Now looking at these numbers, there are of course still discrepancies...those being the difference in game styles, particularly 3-point shooting and rule changes, and how those changes affect the perimeter play between the eras....

It's a very gray area, considering the rule changes put in place were meant to DIRECTLY IMPACT guards on the perimeter.

A couple of things that simply WOULD NOT HAPPEN for Kobe in Jordan's era...as much as some kids would like to believe it, Kobe WOULD NOT be averaging nearly 5 3's a game. There's that GAME STYLE difference. And, he wouldn't be getting all those FT attempts with that few of FG attempts. I don't see Kobe's jumpshooting style changing, considering he's always hated contact.

Go ahead on comment....i understand this is a small sample size and cherry picking at it's finest, but the differences in eras doesn't leave much data that is useful.

Not to mention...defensive rating and game pace to me, seems to be the only real stats that when put together could even come close to making an observation that isn't completely absurd.

Default Re: Kobe vs. Comparable Defensive Rated Teams of Jordan's Era

kobe>jordan

Lord GawdBE>Air

Aesthetically pleasing with #1 Skillset alltime>2% TS and marginal stats in the waterd down 90's

24>23

next

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    This is a snip-it of what Kobe's stats MIGHT like look if he were playing in the 80's/early 90's. This is based off of stats from teams of his era, playing at similar defensive ratings and game pace. (From 2000-2010 seasons)

Average league D-rating from 87-93 = 107.9
    Average game pace from 87-93 = 99.4

Since their weren't alot of teams pulling off that high of game pace back then, i have to take the highest ones at around 107.9 D-rating.

24 teams total, 77 games total.

The teams with this criteria were:

1. Warriors - 23 games
    2. Suns - 14 games
    3. Nuggets - 14 games
    4. Pacers - 6 games
    5. Sonics - 4 games
    6. Magic - 4 games
    7. Kings - 4 game
    8. Mavericks - 4 games
    9. Wizards - 2 games
    10. Cavs - 2 games

The D-rating of these teams = 107.7
    average game pace = 95.7

Kobe's numbers vs. these teams:

29.4ppg on 46.9%FG at 21.6 FG's per game.
    33.6% 3FG at 4.7 attempts
    8.4 FT's per game.
    2-point conversion rate = 50.6%FG
    eFG% = 50.5%
    6.2 rebs, 6.0 assists, 1.5 steals

For comparisons sake, i put Jordan' numbers up vs. the comparable teams of his era who also had similar D-ratings and game pace.

22 teams, 73 games total:

Average D-rating = 107.8
    average game pace = 95.7

33.2ppg on 51.7%FG at 24.9 FG's per game.
    29.1%3FG at 2.0 attempts per game.
    8.1 FTA
    2-point conversion rate = 53.7%FG
    eFG% = 52.9%
    6.5 rebs, 5.4 assists, 2.8 steals

Now looking at these numbers, there are of course still discrepancies...those being the difference in game styles, particularly 3-point shooting and rule changes, and how those changes affect the perimeter play between the eras....

It's a very gray area, considering the rule changes put in place were meant to DIRECTLY IMPACT guards on the perimeter.

A couple of things that simply WOULD NOT HAPPEN for Kobe in Jordan's era...as much as some kids would like to believe it, Kobe WOULD NOT be averaging nearly 5 3's a game. There's that GAME STYLE difference. And, he wouldn't be getting all those FT attempts with that few of FG attempts. I don't see Kobe's jumpshooting style changing, considering he's always hated contact.

Go ahead on comment....i understand this is a small sample size and cherry picking at it's finest, but the differences in eras doesn't leave much data that is useful.

Not to mention...defensive rating and game pace to me, seems to be the only real stats that when put together could even come close to making an observation that isn't completely absurd.
    I thought that idiot Bruce Blitz died......but obviously he's teaching you Dumbass thread!!!!

More interesting would be Jordan vs comparable playoff defensive rated teams that Kobe faced.

The Jordan mythologists like to believe that Jordan would shred the 04 Pistons because he puts up some numbers against some creampuff Finals defenses.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    More interesting would be Jordan vs comparable playoff defensive rated teams that Kobe faced.

The Jordan mythologists like to believe that Jordan would shred the 04 Pistons because he puts up some numbers against some creampuff Finals defenses.

The Kobe myth-huggers seem to think that Kobe would "destroy", "rape", and "merk" the competition of Jordan's era due to "inflated" stats and "poor defensive teams"

yet based off of those numbers from his own era with rules to cater to his game...he's shooting well, but not DESTROYING anyone...

King Jordan

The Kobe myth-huggers seem to think that Kobe would "destroy", "rape", and "merk" the competition of Jordan's era due to "inflated" stats and "poor defensive teams"

yet based off of those numbers from his own era with rules to cater to his game...he's shooting well, but not DESTROYING anyone...

Pretty marginal differences across the board. You also left out TS% so I have to assume the reason you did so was because Kobe tops Jordan in that stat.

Pretty marginal differences across the board. You also left out TS% so I have to assume the reason you did so was because Kobe tops Jordan in that stat.
    6 rings. 6 MVPs

next

Great college starter

TS% is a flawed stat in which FT's has a retarded amount of impact on. It inflates Kobe impact due to weak rules and officiating.

There is no world in this universe that Kobe would draw more fouls than Michael Jordan in the 80's on less FG attempts...

TS% is a flawed stat in which FT's has a retarded amount of impact on. It inflates Kobe impact due to weak rules and officiating.

There is no world in this universe that Kobe would draw more fouls than Michael Jordan in the 80's on less FG attempts...
    Right TS% is a biased stat because it makes Jordan look bad because he of all people got not respect in a league where he was the golden calf

I fear that in the depths of your delusions that you actually believe that

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

I love how Jordan fans are so obsessed with Kobe.

Great college starter

Right TS% is a biased stat because it makes Jordan look bad because he of all people got not respect in a league where he was the golden calf

I fear that in the depths of your delusions that you actually believe that

Like i said..

Kobe vs. those teams 21.6 FG / 8.4 FT
    Jordan vs. his 24.9 FG / 8.1 FT

Stick Kobe in the 80's and that simply does not happen...

Like i said..

Kobe vs. those teams 21.6 FG / 8.4 FT
    Jordan vs. his 24.9 FG / 8.1 FT

Stick Kobe in the 80's and that simply does not happen...
    Why, because it doesn't fit the mythology you created for Jordan? Its your own numbers. Kobe was better at drawing fouls. Drawing fouls is second to only maybe dunking the ball as the most efficient way to score. You can't just ignore that and expect to be taken seriously.