Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Historically, how good is Tony Parker?

I also think Pau Gasol is a good comparison in the aspect of all-time ranking and HOF probablility.
    I hate comparing him to Pau though. I'm very high on both players, but Pau is such an underachiever, even from one minute to the next, that it's painful.

Im seeing no less than 11 one could argue goes over him and 16 you could argue were better players.
    That's the thing. There are so many guys I can't put him over, even though he's so dependable and so good that I really want to. There are just a lot of really good point guards, both now and in the past.

Especially today. Almost every team has a PG they're really happy with. Ty Lawson probably isn't even clearly top ten at the position, and he's the best player on an outside title contender. It's a stacked position right now, and Parker is only on the outside of the top 5 IMO.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Parker is only on the outside of the top 5 IMO.
    If Parker isn't #1, then he's a close 2nd behind Chris Paul. No way can you put Rondo, Deron or Rose over him. Irving, Curry and Westbrook are probably close but none is as good as Parker this year or last.
    Last edited by RichieW; 04-29-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Parker has been a top5 player the last two seasons.

JJohnson is an inefficient chucker who hasn't done anything beside lose in the first round, his inefficient low IQ game is a major reason why the Hawks were so mediocre for so long.

SMH at "system player" shooting over 50% isn't because of the system it's because he trains hard, plays hard, looks to set-up his teammates and doesn't take bad shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young

Top 5 PG of all time.

Career (team) achievement-wise, probably. As an actual talent, who off the following list does he bump to get into the top 5?

Magic
    Oscar
    Stockton
    Isiah
    Kidd

Better than Gary Payton? Nash? Do his rings won as a key contributor alongside a top 10 GOAT player, all-time great coach, and one of the best run franchises in American team sports make him a better player than those two?
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 04-29-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    Anyone can shoot unstoppable shots. The thing that matters the most is how consistent you are. It's not something you can show with a highlight video.
    Those highlights were in response to Nick young comment about Navarro doing his floater only against weak defenders. In those videos Navarro does it against elite NBA players.

But are you really doubting Navarro's consistence with his floater??? Maybe one highlight may not show you that, nor 100 of them which I'm not going to post. What I can say is that he already destroyed with it the USA jr team in 1999 world's junior championship and he's still using it efficiently this season (being old and affected by injuries).

I really like Parker, he was born close to my own town and he is amazing, but I'm not sure his floater is (or has ever been) better than Navarro's at its best.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    Career (team) achievement-wise, probably. As an actual talent, who off the following list does he bump to get into the top 5?

Magic
    Oscar
    Stockton
    Isiah
    Kidd

Better than Gary Payton? Nash? Do his rings won as a key contributor alongside a top 10 GOAT player, all-time great coach, and one of the best run franchises in American team sports make him a better player than those two?
    Clearly better then Nash. He outplays him every time they go against eachother.

And yes Kidd is amazing as a pure PG, but Tony Parker with his scoring and penetration is more effective, the proof is in the titles.

I usually hit open layups SoCalLakersFan1's Avatar

He's been the 3rd best player on his own team for over half his career, but that's not his fault. He's always been a top 5-7 point guard in the league who has been in the top 3 a few times (in my opinion, the 2nd best point guard last year and this year), but in the playoffs, he never steps up like the other two members of the Spurs' big 3 usually do (unless its against poor defensive point guards).

He's still in his prime though, so he has a few years to gather more all-star and all-nba appearances.
    Last edited by SoCalLakersFan1; 04-30-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Clearly better then Nash. He outplays him every time they go against eachother.

And yes Kidd is amazing as a pure PG, but Tony Parker with his scoring and penetration is more effective, the proof is in the titles.
    I'm sure playing with Duncan and Manu has a lot to do with that.

Put Parker on Kidd's Nets teams. Do they even make the Finals in the East back then?

If Parker isn't #1, then he's a close 2nd behind Chris Paul. No way can you put Rondo, Deron or Rose over him. Irving, Curry and Westbrook are probably close but none is as good as Parker this year or last.
    To me, Paul and Westbrook are clearly better. Rose, when healthy, is too. Then there are a whole slew of guys who I would say Parker is better than, but it's not obvious. The reason I take Parker over them is his resume / record. But it's not clear to me that Deron, Irving, Curry, Lillard, heck even Jrue Holiday or Ty Lawson (ok now I'm stretching but you get the point) couldn't step in and do what Parker is doing with Pop, Duncan, that system, those role players. The reason Parker gets the nod over them is because he IS doing it, right now, for us all to see.
    Last edited by Clifton; 04-30-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    Navarro is the precursor, but his floater isn't necessarily better. Faster, definitely, but not as consistent IMO.

Besides he does it on one leg, which means you have to commit to it, and it's easier to see it coming; Parker can fake his floater and just stop and do an up-and-under.

I'd love to see the stats though. Is there any way to get this kind of number?
    Navarro's floater has range out to the 3 point line.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertyazerty
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25GVX3vQTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvzISlKZZA

At its best, Navarro's floater was almost impossible to stop. Parker is better in many other areas, but floaters and 3pt shooting are Navarro's best weapons.
    What's hilarious is that he was getting his floater off easier against Team USA than he usually does in ACB and Euroleague against those "slow, bald 37 year old 6-7 Lithuanian centers".
    Last edited by Euroleague; 04-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertyazerty
    Those highlights were in response to Nick young comment about Navarro doing his floater only against weak defenders. In those videos Navarro does it against elite NBA players.

But are you really doubting Navarro's consistence with his floater??? Maybe one highlight may not show you that, nor 100 of them which I'm not going to post. What I can say is that he already destroyed with it the USA jr team in 1999 world's junior championship and he's still using it efficiently this season (being old and affected by injuries).

I really like Parker, he was born close to my own town and he is amazing, but I'm not sure his floater is (or has ever been) better than Navarro's at its best.
    Parker's floater is better because Tony Parker is quicker and can jump higher.

JCN was a 40% shooter in the NBA and 10 ppg in 25 MPG. It's not bad stats but he's nowhere near the scorer Tony Parker is, in the paint or otherwise. JCN is quick don't get me wrong, I'm not calling him unathletic, but Tony Parker is quicker on a different level.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    To me, Paul and Westbrook are clearly better. Rose, when healthy, is too. Then there are a whole slew of guys who I would say Parker is better than, but it's not obvious. The reason I take Parker over them is his resume / record. But it's not clear to me that Deron, Irving, Curry, Lillard, heck even Jrue Holiday or Ty Lawson (ok now I'm stretching but you get the point) couldn't step in and do what Parker is doing with Pop, Duncan, that system, those role players. The reason Parker gets the nod over them is because he IS doing it, right now, for us all to see.
    How is worse defense playing 43% 21PPG shooting Derek Rose better then Tony Parker?

Parker's floater is better because Tony Parker is quicker and can jump higher.

JCN was a 40% shooter in the NBA and 10 ppg in 25 MPG. It's not bad stats but he's nowhere near the scorer Tony Parker is, in the paint or otherwise. JCN is quick don't get me wrong, I'm not calling him unathletic, but Tony Parker is quicker on a different level.
    Parker doesn't jump very high - I've never even seen him dunk before. He has excellent body control, is durable (knows how to fall) and does exactly what Pop says. He doesn't try to go over his limits (like Manu).