Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Historically, how good is Tony Parker?

Finally ish gives some props for him, good time to wake up.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Everyone is rewriting history. This has been Tonys team for 2 years. That's it.

It was still built around Timmy when the Spurs got swept by the Suns. Then we moved to a higher tempo and Manu was the main guy in 10/11 (he started 79 games). Then Manu got hurt and went back to the bench in the lockout season and Tony took over.

If the Spurs win it and Tony gets the Finals MVP, he must surely move into the discussion for Top 25 player. 4x titles, 2x finals MVP is a strong resume.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    He has the GOAT floater though, incredible stuff.
    Navarro says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    Pau plays with many other NBA stars.. the French team only has Tony. I love Pau but historically he is not ranked higher than Tony Parker who is a multiple champion, clutch, and Finals MVP.
    France has always had more NBA players than Spain. I'm not sure what you are talking about............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Navarro says hi.
    Parker's is better, he does it against taller and more athletic competition, sometimes in ACB league JCN is going up against 6'7" 37 year old bald lithuanian centers and power forwards defending the paint

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Parker's is better, he does it against taller and more athletic competition, sometimes in ACB league JCN is going up against 6'7" 37 year old bald lithuanian centers and power forwards defending the paint
    Juan Carlos Navarro has the best floater in the history of world basketball. Anyone that does not know that has a very limited general basketball knowledge.

Parker = best floater in the current NBA

Navarro = best floater of all time in the world

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Navarro is the precursor, but his floater isn't necessarily better. Faster, definitely, but not as consistent IMO.

Besides he does it on one leg, which means you have to commit to it, and it's easier to see it coming; Parker can fake his floater and just stop and do an up-and-under.

I'd love to see the stats though. Is there any way to get this kind of number?

NBA lottery pick

Parker > some fool playing versus inferior competition in Europe(Navarro)

Decent playground baller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25GVX3vQTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvzISlKZZA

At its best, Navarro's floater was almost impossible to stop. Parker is better in many other areas, but floaters and 3pt shooting are Navarro's best weapons.
    Last edited by Qwertyazerty; 04-29-2013 at 11:03 AM.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grantland
    Amazingly, astoundingly, Tony Parker doesn't turn 31 until next month. He's already played 12 seasons and 872 regular-season games, as well as 153 playoff games and counting. He just submitted his best all-around season — 20.3 points, 7.6 assists, 52 percent shooting, 23.0 PER and .206 win share/per 48 (highest of his career) — and has shown ZERO signs of slipping.

So where does this go? Let's say he plays five more years at this level, or something close: something like 350 regular-season games and 50 playoff games, his usual 18-20 a game with 50 percent shooting, a couple more playoff runs, and all the other Parkerish stuff he does (while avoiding any major injuries). By the end of the 2016-17 season, Parker might have 16 seasons banked, as well as three rings (at least), a Finals MVP (in 2007), 1,200-plus regular-season games (only 33 players have done it), 200-plus playoff games (only six players have done it),10 20,000-plus points (only 42 players have done it) and 7,500-plus assists (only 10 players have done it). By the way …

• Oscar Robertson and Gary Payton are the only members of the 20K/7K Club for career points and assists. That's it. Just Oscar and GP.
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-value-part-2

Two things will dictate the direction of his career, imo:
    1) If these last two seasons are his peak or prime. I don't think he can play better, although I never expected him to become this good.
    2) How long Pop coaches and how Parker plays after he retires (which I expect to happen before Parker does).

To those saying he hasn't been a top 10 player lately... You can go ahead and stop posting about basketball. He's been one of the top 2-4 candidates for MVP the last two seasons.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertyazerty
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25GVX3vQTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvzISlKZZA

At its best, Navarro's floater was almost impossible to stop. Parker is better in many other areas, but floaters and 3pt shooting are Navarro's best weapons.
    Anyone can shoot unstoppable shots. The thing that matters the most is how consistent you are. It's not something you can show with a highlight video.

Local High School Star

This guy is incredible. Haven't seen anyone utilize a pick and roll like he does. Nash was good but Nash doesn't have the critical side step and agility which Parker does however Nash had that great 3 point shooting off the dribble which made up for it. If I draft a team I draft parker as my boy because he doesn't call 8 pick and rolls in one play

Player you described doesn't exist.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Id say if you dropped him into 1990 with Magic, Isiah, Timmy, KJ, Stockton, Price, Porter, and Harper you could argue hes the 7th or 8th best point....id say closer to 5th. He would be a 25ppg scorer at the time.

Then you add in the likes of Oscar, Payton, Kidd, Nash, Tiny, Frazier, Cousy and so on?

Then Paul, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, Deron and the modern guys?

Im seeing no less than 11 one could argue goes over him and 16 you could argue were better players.

That said I think hes held back numbers wise by the system hes in. Drop him in place of some of the other all time elite points he would do numbers.

Tony in the late 80s west might be a 26/8 player on 55% shooting some years.

Sunshine State

He aight.