Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: I can't stand the "dumbing down" of mainstream basketball today

I agree. Skip Bayless is one of this names who only discuss the star players stories and does not do an insight based on a team view.

I still laugh at first take episode when Mark Cuban OWNS him and let him speechless.

Dick Stockton is the worst example of this, and he's been around forever. All he would ever talk about is how many lead changes the game had or who's the high scorer, or how the teams' stars were doing. The fact that hewas given so many high profile games shows that this is how the NBA wants to market itself.

High School Varsity 6th Man NBAller's Avatar

It's a business. I made a thread about this, but everyone looked past it.

I like to think of Gladiator times when talking about basketball, football, anything major that's held inside a arena.

Back in the Gladiator days, they would hype the baddest guy up. The baddest guys name would be spoken from everyones tounges. They're the main event. That's who people want to see.

apply that to today, and you get people like LeBron, Kobe, Durant, etc.

Hardly anyone back then just like hardly anyone now watches each pass carefully or the technique of the sword being swung.

On the flip side I remember guys like Barkley giving Spurs credit for playing basketball. But there's always going to the that next guy. Someone after LeBron will be talked about like MJ and Bron, and so on until they need to change it up.

They play for a living, and the businessmen hype these guys up for a living. Money's a major factor that musn't be ignored.

Take it to the park with the same people, and we have a whole different story.

It's also like if you want to see good driving (or good basketball) would you watch someone drive a fordfocus(kwame) or watch a lamborghini(bron)? Don't nobody give a shit about a fordfocus.
    Last edited by NBAller; 04-19-2013 at 12:17 PM.

ive posted this at least once before, but it made a lot of sense to me.

chuck klosterman (a writer) explained it on the bs report once. its like, diehards who will actually appreciate more in depth analysis, we are gonna watch the game regardless of whether its dumbed down or not. We love the game too much, we are gonna watch it no matter how stupid the coverage is, if you are producing an nba show, you dont have to worry about this audience.

but its the fair weather fans you have to worry about. if you are the producer, you actually have to worry about these people watching.

So in essence, the nba is marketed to people who only kinda like the nba.

You dumb down the analysis so as not to alienate these fair weather fans. If a fair weather fan turns on TNT or ESPN, and sees the analysts talking about anything complicated, he wont understand it, and wont watch, and while us diehard fans might appreciate it and watch. But if the show has simple, easy to follow discussion, the fair weather fans can understand and enjoy it, and us diehards will watch regardless, because we actually love basketball.

5-time NBA All-Star

Its funny sometimes to catch coaches in their attempts to dumb it down. You can actually catch Nate McMillian thinking of the the dumb down way to say things. So yeah it comes from the higher ups. Mark Jackson visibly went into shock at NBC's coercing him into another level of it. He got so mechanical that it totally took away his humor.

When Kobe was destroying the word team in the beginning of the year, you weren't supposed to mention it. I thought Worthy was going to get fired but he eventually changed his tone. Even the written press was at a loss as to what to say. Kobe was totally killing any chance of the best Center Forward combo of having big games but you had to say Kobe was carrying the very same team he was destroying and bringing down to humiliating levels. Articles like Kobe should pursue the scoring title were popping up. You wondered where were the articles that asked, can Kobe help right the ship by passing? This was just too much thinking.

No articles on who pulled Kobe's coat about changing. No articles on what was Kobe's priorities. No articles on, can a coach talk to Kobe. You didn't see one on Kobe's pacing problems over the past three years or the wear and tear of his long last three years. When Kobe rights the ship, they low keyed that as well. There will be no articles on the torch has to be passed now. While everybody with a thinking head is pondering should the team should be given to the guy who right now is the best center in the game if he stays? but you wonder if the dumb down wants it like that.

i have no problem with journalists, sure there are dumb ones out there, but there is plenty of great articles written everyday, you just need to know where to look.

plenty of articles were written criticising kobe's play at the start of the year.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i have no problem with journalists, sure there are dumb ones out there, but there is plenty of great articles written everyday, you just need to know where to look.

plenty of articles were written criticising kobe's play at the start of the year.
    Where were those articles. Please share a couplel

i don't like bananas

what else wud u expect if even news-shows are merely entertainment-shows in disguise nowadays?

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    ESPN, NBAtv, TNT. All of it.

NBA analysis today is all about hero-name dropping. "Can Kobe/Lebron/Durant pull out this win" Did "Kobe/Lebron/Durant" do something athletic tonight.

Nobody talks about actual basketball on tv. Nobody talks about great on-the-floor teamball and playmaking. It's literally all about creating stories about _____ star player willing their team to victory against ______ star player on the opposing team and above the rim highlights. It's all smoke and mirrors and no meat and potatoes. I love watching older Lakers games with Chick Hearn or games where Bill Russell is doing color commentating because they actually add insight to plays that are developing and they didn't just glorify the stars. I do not like the way the game is presented today, it is presented for casual mainstream fans who just want a hero not actual sport/basketball fans who want to see and understand a good game.

Chick Hearn was great. He called the game the way it was supposed to be done, play by play and still managed to entertain the viewers. He was also pretty objective, he would call the Lakers out when they weren't playing well. I've heard him say the Lakers were stinking up the joint plenty of times. Announcers and analysts today are pretty boring, and they talk a whole lot without saying much. That's why I don't watch pre game, halftime, or post game shows. There's nothing any of these guys can say that I don't already know.

Serious playground baller schism206's Avatar

NBA analysis today is all about hero-name dropping. "Can Kobe/Lebron/Durant pull out this win" Did "Kobe/Lebron/Durant" do something athletic tonight.

Nobody talks about actual basketball on tv. Nobody talks about great on-the-floor teamball and playmaking. It's literally all about creating stories about _____ star player willing their team to victory against ______ star player on the opposing team and above the rim highlights. It's all smoke and mirrors and no meat and potatoes. I love watching older Lakers games with Chick Hearn or games where Bill Russell is doing color commentating because they actually add insight to plays that are developing and they didn't just glorify the stars. I do not like the way the game is presented today, it is presented for casual mainstream fans who just want a hero not actual sport/basketball fans who want to see and understand a good game.
    That's why I like certain announcers like Steve Kerr. He tells it like it is and has better insight than most, and doesn't get caught up in the star power as much.

Local High School Star markymark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dynasty1978
    The recycled, tired cliches, counter-arguments, and arbitrary stats are what get me most. I blame ESPN primarily for lowering the intelligence of basketball followers by pushing their TV "analysts", bias web content, and contrived first take debates.

Examples of eye-rolling commentary:
    "makes players around him better"
    "replace player x with player y and the team is better/worse"
    "team is better without star player x"

Too many variables to make simple-minded statements and pass them off as credible.
    Totally feel you man. That's why a lot of casual hoop fans blurt out sh*t like their facts since that's what they've been conditioned to believe. There's a lot of ways to manipulate fans' perception of a team or player by showing biased angles and making them appear factual.

Off-T, they should seriously ditch those coach interviews every other Q. Retarded as f*ck.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Remember back in the day where being athletic and tall meant you had the opportunity to be the GOAT basketball player?

Well, I don't know if "nobody" today discusses it on tv. Doug Collins used to be pretty good at it(he should stick to tv and away from my Sixers). Overall, I agree, though. It's marketing, man. That's what sells at the end of the day.
    Aside from TV, Charley Rosen discusses a very traditional view of basketball, and hates just like you the "hero ball" mentality. I can't stand hero ball mentality either, and it usually caters to younger and less sophisticated fans.

Also, this "hero ball" mentality contributed to the US getting shut out internationally in basketball from 2002 to 2006. Twice, 02 and 04, we sent a rag tag team of individuals only to discover that Iverson and Marbury couldn't juke and crossover their way to the Olympic Gold against dug in defenses from the Euros and Argentinians, and even the Puerto Ricans. Surprise surprise, a team of individuals cannot beat a real team.

Sorry to say that Iverson contributed heavily to this "hero ball" mentality during the early 2000's. I love his competitiveness being from Philly and all, but he was the poster boy of "hero ball".

Fortunately, the influence of Coach K with Team USA, the influx of international players and concepts, plus rules changes in 2002 regarding allowing of zones and others have begun to change a lot of "hero ball" with teams like the Spurs leading the charge. It is still a problem, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Where were those articles. Please share a couplel
    pretty much anything zach lowe from grantland writes is great

sbnation has a ton of great blogs, espns truhoop network too. id mostly read cavs blogs from there, but other teams' blogs are pretty good from bits ive seen.

draftexpress is great for draft stuff, hpbasketball is very good, but a bit, abstract? not sure how to describe it, but very different.

the point forward nba blog at sports illustrated is pretty good too.

or i just follow a handful of writers on twitter, and whenever they write soemthing, they will link to it, guys like; zach lowe, kevin arnovitz, beckley mason, tim ziller, jared dublin, brett korenmos, rob mahoney, john schumann, tom halberstroh, kirk goldsberry.