Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Default Re: JAY-Z ripping Nets in new rap song

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsGame
    The guys whose advice Jay-Z takes are the ones who are brilliant. He don't know jack shit, guaranteed.
    He knows who to trust with his money.

Definition of brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    what kind of analogy is this...jay did own a piece of the house he lived in.

You can debate all day how much his stake is worth, but your analogy is the defintion of frontin'.

Anyone with common sense knows 1 mil can't control something worth over 300 mil.

But he definitely made his money back up countless of ways.

it's time to really stop the hate, Jay-Z is a brilliant dude.

What do you think his 1 mil invested is compared to his 500+ mil estimated worth?
    i don't hate him, he did a smart business move. But he also pretended to be a bigger owner than he was, and he clearly gets that because he's mad at being called for it now. I just don't feel the need to rationalize rich successful people's faults away because they are rich and successful.

Basically he moved away from the nets affiliation to a knicks affiliation via CAA. Welcome to the winning team Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    He said he did on talk shows. He was asked how much he owned and if it was nothing and laughed and said he owned more. Do you think this was implying 1/15 of 1 percent at any time? News stories consistently said he owned 1% or more, he never said it's much less. It's much less.

I get how fantastic Jay Z is and i even think this is a very positive move but he wants the $350k to be presented like it's not surprising and that he didn't imply he had more, that's just false.

I don't care who you are, he fronted like he was a bigger owner than he was and he's mad people are commenting on it. He's also made people are saying he's no longer affiiliating himself with the Nets, he's not.

Is it a big deal? NO. But that doesn't mean he didn't front, and i'm not going to say he didn't. He's rich, he bangs Beyonce, he has a craptastic amount of money, and when he does something wrong we need to rationalize it away too? Serious?
    This frontin' dude has folks in the whitehouse been grilled about his dealing with the prsident over a lyric.

I wish i front like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsGame
    The guys whose advice Jay-Z takes are the ones who are brilliant. He don't know jack shit, guaranteed.
    Isn't that the true definition of brilliance? I went to law school for 3 years after doing 4 years undergrad and I would trade any "brilliance" they were trying to impart upon me to have 1/100 of his net worth.

i don't hate him, he did a smart business move. But he also pretended to be a bigger owner than he was, and he clearly gets that because he's mad at being called for it now. I just don't feel the need to rationalize rich successful people's faults away because they are rich and successful.

Basically he moved away from the nets affiliation to a knicks affiliation via CAA. Welcome to the winning team Jay.
    I actually hate the fact that CAA is all over the Knicks.

Only a title will make it right, otherwise the Knicks sold out like a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    This frontin' dude has folks in the whitehouse been grilled about his dealing with the prsident over a lyric.

I wish i front like that.
    Dude is smart, he's dumping a $350k investment and moving it into clearly tens of times that. In doing so it came out that he had a much lower investment than he led people to believe. Which made him look bad for about 2 hours. You want to rationalize away those two hours. Why?

Real Talk, did Jay Z win the Nas beef by being Nas's boss? Does that eliminate the impact of Ether? Because that's a more interesting topic to me.

Dude is smart, he's dumping a $350k investment and moving it into clearly tens of times that. In doing so it came out that he had a much lower investment than he led people to believe. Which made him look bad for about 2 hours. You want to rationalize away those two hours. Why?

Real Talk, did Jay Z win the Nas beef by being Nas's boss? Does that eliminate the impact of Ether? Because that's a more interesting topic to me.
    They both profited off ether, that's pretty irrelevant imo.

Jay is in a real money game, rapping is a hobby at this point of his life.

Is Nas even worth 20 mil? that's a more interesting topic.

Really Jay Z owned part of the team for 350k? Sh*t I want to buy in on a team then!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Isn't that the true definition of brilliance? I went to law school for 3 years after doing 4 years undergrad and I would trade any "brilliance" they were trying to impart upon me to have 1/100 of his net worth.
    The impact to me of Jay Z leaving the Nets will be seen in a few years. Right now the Nets are much easier to deal with. Try it...call them and see if you can do something with them. If you're a vendor, trying to organize an event, think you can do business with the Nets. I'm not saying it's easy (you need to be a real business and offer something they can use) but it's possible. They listen. Especially if you are a local business.

Then call the Knicks. That phone call will be long and go nowhere. No one will talk to you, no one will entertain anything. You'll be hard pressed to find the right people to speak to. Yes, i am dissing my home team but their business model is antiquated. They just happen to have a product people suck up like crack. But they rarely do things smartly to grow the product or have change.

That's Jay Z's impact and without it, i wouldn't be surprised to see the Nets move toward the Knicks as they get success because that's how big bloated businesses operate. His business's do not.
    Last edited by niko; 04-11-2013 at 04:54 PM.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

On the investment alone, Jay is losing $750,000 because he did give the Nets $1,000,000 to essentially be just an icon figure. However, over the years he made millions from concerts and publicity with the team. I'm slightly upset that he's leaving, especially just one year into Brooklyn. I think its too soon. He waited nearly a decade for us to move to Brooklyn and he spoke about how elated he is to have the Nets in Brooklyn, then he leaves one year later. That doesn't make sense to me. I understand he is trying to build a new empire, but it still doesn't make sense to me that he left not even one year with the Brooklyn Nets.

When i lived in an apartment i didn't pretend i owned the house. If i did, and someone found out, they'd raise their eyebrows at me sideways because that's what you do when people front like that.

He pretended he owned the house when he was only renting. He lied. And it doesn't matter who you are or what you've done, when you front to make yourself look better and then you get caught in it you look like a douche.
    Terrible terrible analogy. But I get what point your trying to make. That you along with others assumed his % in ownership was bigger than it actually was when revealed. And the $350,000 or so referenced makes you scratch your head. I too was a bit surprised at what % he had and walked away with. Expected more. Nowhere near majority or a significant %. I knew he his shares wasnt great. But the way he talked he did make some assume he had a nice chunk.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    I don't think you understand math.

353k vs. 19.7 million is about 1.8% of Joe Johnson's salary.
    I don't think you understand that 2012 is not 2013, professor. The fact that you actually checked the math in order to correct me and failed has me in tears.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Terrible terrible analogy. But I get what point your trying to make. That you along with others assumed his % in ownership was bigger than it actually was when revealed. And the $350,000 or so referenced makes you scratch your head. I too was a bit surprised at what % he had and walked away with. Expected more. Nowhere near majority or a significant %. I knew he his shares wasnt great. But the way he talked he did make some assume he had a nice chunk.
    That's probably what he wanted people to know.

Successful business mena never tell where their true dollars come from.

Just like his stake in the Barclays, he never mentions that, and probably didn't pay a cent to get it.

These guys are making ventures like this to lose money, he bankrolling off this, with much higher yields than any investment average folks like me could return.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    On the investment alone, Jay is losing $750,000 because he did give the Nets $1,000,000 to essentially be just an icon figure. However, over the years he made millions from concerts and publicity with the team. I'm slightly upset that he's leaving, especially just one year into Brooklyn. I think its too soon. He waited nearly a decade for us to move to Brooklyn and he spoke about how elated he is to have the Nets in Brooklyn, then he leaves one year later. That doesn't make sense to me. I understand he is trying to build a new empire, but it still doesn't make sense to me that he left not even one year with the Brooklyn Nets.
    You realize that the only way he could have lost money on this investment would have been for him to not receive any money when his ownership stake was reduced from one-third of 1% to one-fifteenth of 1%? I can guarantee you he didn't just give Mikhail those shares for free.

On top of that now the team is much more valuable than it was before the move during the previous CBA you can almost guarantee that he will make even more of a profit when he unloads his remaining stock.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    He has .02% stake in the arena. He lost NOTHING. Then you say he made millions over the years from concerts and publicity with the team yet are confused why he left after only one year. You lost me with that what are you even talkin about?

Yeah Jay Z is a dumb businessman. Credit others for his success.

Stop trying to discredit dude and taking advice, having people you can lean on for good advice is now a knock? A bad thing? Talk about hate. I'm not even a Jay Z fan either. But when I look at his career from rapper to having phone convos with the president? When I look at how much he is worth? You cant knock his hustle. He has no college education. There are people who go to school for years and this guy didnt. He pimps and hustles everything he is involved with.

Jay Z must be the dumbest mofo to be worth $350mil or whatever it is now.