Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Ricky Rubio 0-10

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Of course he improves the team. I like Rubio. I agree with your take on finding his teammates..etc. That is why I said he'd be great with good and great players.

My point was that he's not going to transform a team. Put it this way. He could never be a top 2 player on a title winning team imo.
    fair enough. that's why it's good to have a discussion. it's also important to note that j kidd never really found a jumper until late in his career. even then, his form was...ugly to say the least. he made it work for him. that's certainly rubio's weakness point and has been for years. at least he won't shot jack you of games for the most part. for all the shots he misses, he usually makes up for it w/ his passing ability. i think he's top 5 in that regard, ahead of curry and irving. he just needs to find a semblance of a jumper.

he has to find a set shot or dribble drive shot to offset that. i don't think he'll ever really be an iso shot guy. it's just not his game. on the flip side, this is where lillard, wb and irving just smother him in.

all this and i didn't even mention the best PG in the league, CP3 lawson is there too.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    fair enough. that's why it's good to have a discussion. it's also important to note that j kidd never really found a jumper until late in his career. even then, his form was...ugly to say the least. he made it work for him. that's certainly rubio's weakness point and has been for years. at least he won't shot jack you of games for the most part. for all the shots he misses, he usually makes up for it w/ his passing ability. i think he's top 5 in that regard, ahead of curry and irving. he just needs to find a semblance of a jumper.

he has to find a set shot or dribble drive shot to offset that. i don't think he'll ever really be an iso shot guy. it's just not his game. on the flip side, this is where lillard, wb and irving just smother him in.

all this and i didn't even mention the best PG in the league, CP3 lawson is there too.
    he could certainly get better...and most likely will.

i don't like the kidd comparison as a player at all, but yes...Kidd didn't have a great jumper. but rubio will be lucky to become about half as good as Kidd imo.

if rubio is the 3rd or 4th best player on your roster...you've probably got a pretty good team. anything in the top 2 and I think you are most likely struggling to make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Ricky Rubio will be a top 5 PG in the NBA. He will never be a big scorer but he is a leader with charisma, flair, vision with the basketball, fundamental defense with steals, high assists, unselfishness, long arms, and he has enough athleticism to eventually be able to finish on his drives.

This thread is about his 0-10, but other nights he has put up 23,11, 5boards, and 3 steals. WTH do you call that? To me it's clear that he eventually will be able to be the PG of a championship level team averaging something like 12ppg,10apg,5rpg,3spg while anchoring the back court defense.

I was never fond of big scorers anyway playing PG. Being a Philly guy, I would much rather take the Maurice Cheeks type of PG. In 1983, Cheeks lead a great Sixer defense to become one of the great teams in NBA history.

BTW, we all should know better than to listen to Euroleague who thinks Spanoulis(2.7ppg in the NBA) is the best PG in the world.
    Yea well, almost everyone in Europe, even most Rubio fans, think Spanoulis is way better than Rubio.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Yea well, almost everyone in Europe, even most Rubio fans, think Spanoulis is way better than Rubio.
    Of course, he's the 2nd best player in the world after LeBron, right?

Clutch shots by Ricky vs. Utah by the way.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Mo Cheeks was incredibly efficient. And, he was a pretty damn good scorer when he wanted to be, too.

Besides, this isn't just about "scoring," it is about efficiency. You don't have to score 20+ a night, but when you literally can't put the ball in the basket better than 1 in every 3 attempts, teams are going to exploit that deficiency and it will bleed over into other aspects of the offensive flow.

Rubio needs to make huge strides in his ability to score (not just shooting, but finishing at the basket) if he is ever to become the caliber of player you're comparing him to.

I like the guy's game, but shooting 35% from the field is not something you can simply gloss over, unless he is making vast improvements in other areas of his game. I haven't been able to watch him as much as I'd like this year, but just by looking at the numbers, his production is down basically across the board this season.

And, he started out his rookie season playing extremely well, but his numbers were dipping prior to the injury.

I don't often agree with EuroLeague on... Well, anything, but it does seem as though defenses have adjusted. Obviously, he is without the clear best player on the roster and I'm sure that is having a negative impact on everything...

But, Rubio has some pretty obvious deficiencies that need to be addressed if he is ever going to live up to your expectations.
    Actually, he almost has identical stats from last season playing less minutes. I do think Rubio will definitely work on improving his game now that he's healthy and will have a full off-season to work on things.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...nlwYWdl;_ylv=3

Local High School Star 3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete44
    This guy will quit very soon
    You're a Laker fan. We would think you are used to seeing crappy FG percentages considering who plays SG for you.

Today's stat-line for Ricky:

24 points, 10 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 steals
    8-18 FG (1-3 3Pt), 7-7 FT