Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Durant vs Carmelo scoring race

Hope Melo wins it. Be nice to see him with his first achievement.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    I dont really care who takes it. Melo's been raping asses lately, i wouldnt be surprised if he takes it, but rather have Durant keep up his 50/40/90 season than win another scoring title.
    Last 2 seasons KD has had have been some of the best overall shooting lines for high scoring seasons.

Dirk
    2006- 26.6 ppg on 48/41/90
    2007- 24.6 ppg on 50/40/90

Peja
    2004- 24.2 ppg on 48/43/93 (was actually 2nd in the league in scoring and NBA teams averaged 93.4 ppg on 43.9% that year)

Glen Rice
    1997- 26.8 ppg on 48/47/87 (line was shortened, but led the league in 3P% that season)

Jordan
    1990- 33.6 ppg on 53/38/85

Reggie
    1990- 24.6 ppg on 51/41/87

Chris Mullin
    1990- 25.1 ppg on 54/37/89

Bird
    1988- 29.9 ppg on 53/4192
    1987- 28.1 ppg on 53/40/91
    1986- 25.8 ppg on 50/42/90
    1985- 28.7 ppg on 52/43/88

That's pretty much the extent of what I could call high scoring seasons with really good % in all 3 categories. It's surprising since the 3 point line was introduced over 30 years ago. Only player whose had a season like Durant is having now as far as high ppg and the three shooting % is Bird.

So I'd like to see Durant get the official 50/40/90, and I can't imagine him failing to do so at 50.5 FG%, 41 3P% and 90.8 FT% and only 7 games remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Man, you really hate Melo, don't you? This backhanded compliment and your comments in the other threads show you can't help yourself.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    So I'd like to see Durant get the official 50/40/90, and I can't imagine him failing to do so at 50.5 FG%, 41 3P% and 90.8 FT% and only 7 games remaining.
    He was at like 52% FG before the all-star break IIRC and just went down from there. He's been on a huge shooting slump. Luckily there's only 7 games left and he's picked up his shooting the past few games.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Disagree. There's a certain type of fluidity to Melo's game where he can just create any shot he wants and they just happen to go in.
    Durant's shots go in too, and at a 6% higher rate.
    That, and the fact that Melo doesn't live on the line like Durant does.
    Durant only gets 1.7 more free throws per game. Meanwhile, to score less points, Anthony has averaged 3.9 more shots. Free throws are part of the game and both players do things to draw fouls and get to the line. That isn't something that should be held against KD. Anthony is great but Durant is the better scorer overall because he's more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    Jeff Caplan @Caplan_NBA about 1 hour ago

KD on Melo's hard charge toward the scoring title: "He can have it." Durant going for 4 in a row. Jordan last to do it w 7 ('86-'93).
    Wow. Durant is such a fake tough guy holy shit.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa

Never gets old

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    You obviously haven't been watching him this season. He's been finishing strong around the rim, plus the fact that he doesn't get the same amount of calls as Durant.
    I watch A LOT of Knicks games and no he hasn't. If he were a better finisher around the rim he would be close to being a better player than Durant imo. Here are the stats:

At rim:

Melo: 185/342 = 54.1%

KD: 213/291 = 73.2%

Bron: 371/480 = 77.3%
    Last edited by RoundMoundOfReb; 04-04-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    I watch A LOT of Knicks games and no he hasn't. If he were a better finisher around the rim he would be close to being a better player than Durant imo. Here are the stats:

At rim:

Melo: 185/342 = 54.1%

KD: 213/291 = 73.2%

Bron: 371/480 = 77.3%
    Where did this myth about Melo being "the best scorer" come from anyways. There's literally no evidence that would lead you in that direction.

Where did this myth about Melo being "the best scorer" come from anyways. There's literally no evidence that would lead you in that direction.
    Charles Barkley is literally the first person I've EVER heard say that.

Melo is a fabulous scorer, no doubt, just not THE best....

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Charles Barkley is literally the first person I've EVER heard say that.

Melo is a fabulous scorer, no doubt, just not THE best....
    Yeah, he's obviously good. He's putting up 28PPG on 49.8eFG%. That's pretty impressive, but he's not "the best scorer". IMO, he's like a top 10 scorer. Maybe top 5.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

Anyone know the amount of points Melo needs to make up based in tr numbers now?

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    He was at like 52% FG before the all-star break IIRC and just went down from there. He's been on a huge shooting slump. Luckily there's only 7 games left and he's picked up his shooting the past few games.
    Yeah, looked like he probably would drop below 50% recently and potentially drop below 40% on 3s as well. Prior to the last 5 games he was at 50.2 FG% and 40.3 3P%

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Durant only gets 1.7 more free throws per game. Meanwhile, to score less points, Anthony has averaged 3.9 more shots. Free throws are part of the game and both players do things to draw fouls and get to the line. That isn't something that should be held against KD. Anthony is great but Durant is the better scorer overall because he's more efficient.
    The FT difference is big because Melo takes significantly more FGA. Durant gets a FTA for every 1.9 FGA he takes, while Melo gets a FTA for every 2.82 FGA he takes. A good way to put this in perspective is for the season, Melo and Durant have a similar amount of total FGA because Melo has missed 13 games. Melo has taken 1330 FGA and Durant has taken 1322. But Durant has attempted 696 free throws while Melo has only attempted 471.

I've considered Durant to be the clear cut 2nd best player behind Lebron the last 2 seasons, and the best scorer in the league, but I do think his FTA are excessive. I expect him to draw quite a few fouls because he does attack the basket a good amount, he is a very good finisher because of his length, he moves well without the ball which I've seen result in him catching passes right around the basket which will almost always result in a basket, a foul, or both for a good finisher and his jump shot is lethal, but nearly impossible to contest because of his length.

But these things were all true last season. There are a few differences in Durant this season. I'd say his ball-handling skills have gotten a bit better, and he handles the ball more in Harden's departure, plus, his jumper seems more automatic.

I thought this accounted for some of the increase in FTA except that Durant actually took slightly more shots at the rim last season(3.9 this season vs 4.2 last season) and slightly more shots 10 feet in last season(3.0 this season vs 3.1 last season) yet he's attempting 9.4 FT per game on 17.9 FGA vs 7.6 FTA on 19.7 FGA last season.

Last year he got to the line once for every 2.59 FGA as opposed to the aforementioned once for every 1.9 FGA this season. And as I said he's taken 1322 FGA this season and attempted 969 free throws. Compare that to 1297 FGA and just 501 free throws last season.

He's still the best scorer in the game and the 2nd best player in the game, but he's gone from getting to the line at a solid rate to an excessive rate without attacking the basket any more or playing closer than he did last season.

I strongly believe that he gets the benefit of A LOT of calls, more than other superstars and certainly more than Melo. I can give Durant his credit as a player, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't believe this. Both from the numbers and what I watch.

Yeah, he's obviously good. He's putting up 28PPG on 49.8eFG%. That's pretty impressive, but he's not "the best scorer". IMO, he's like a top 10 scorer. Maybe top 5.
    Maybe a top 5 scorer? Other than Durant, Lebron and Kobe, who else can you put in his class as a scorer? Borderline top 5 scorer?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Maybe a top 5 scorer? Other than Durant, Lebron and Kobe, who else can you put in his class as a scorer? Borderline top 5 scorer?
    Harden is unquestionably in his class. A few other guys are debatable.

IMO I would say wade is better. He's more efficient, but Melo does average like 6 and a half more points, so ill just give it to Melo.

To me, Melo just doesn't have the efficiency of an "elite scorer". His eFG% is 49.8%. Not bad. Pretty good. But compare that to LeBron who's is 59.9% or durant who is 55.4%.

Even harden and Kobe who get slammed for inefficiency are both above 50%.

7-time NBA All-Star

Harden is unquestionably in his class. A few other guys are debatable.

IMO I would say wade is better. He's more efficient, but Melo does average like 6 and a half more points, so ill just give it to Melo.

To me, Melo just doesn't have the efficiency of an "elite scorer". His eFG% is 49.8%. Not bad. Pretty good. But compare that to LeBron who's is 59.9% or durant who is 55.4%.

Even harden and Kobe who get slammed for inefficiency are both above 50%.
    I think Melo is clearly a better scorer than Harden. Wade? Come on. And who are those few other guys who you call debatable? At least Harden has the numbers, which seems to be what you're going by.

But you just said Melo's efficiency is pretty good, and he's second in the league in scoring, barely behind Durant. So great scoring totals on solid efficiency. Then you watch him play and look beyond the numbers and it's pretty clear why he gets so much praise as a scorer. Part of being a great scorer is being able to get your shot. And Melo is as good as anyone in that regard, and that's where his ability to beat you in so many ways comes in. That's why he's doubled so much.

By the way, I could care less if Kobe gets slammed for being inefficient. He's clearly been efficient for most of his career considering how much he scores and has the ball.