Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Magic Johnson and Larry Bird's overratedness disturbs me..

Quote Originally Posted by TAZORAC
    I'll tell you why their WAY overrated, when people talk about these 2 guys as being the "greatest ever", your wayy out of line. Clyde Drexler was a better player then both of these guys.

I'd rather have Carmelo Anthony on my team over Larry Bird anyday of the week. If Magic Johnson played for the Sac Kings or Golden State warriors and not played in LOS ANGELES, he would be EARVIN JOHNSON and nobody would be calling him great.

Somebody started a topic about a year ago if Lebron James was 'ranked higher then Bird or Johnson yet' and in you all's VERY HUMBLE OPINIONS, most said NO. Lebron James is a 2013 Rolls Royce and Larry Bird and Johnson are fking 1985 Volvo 200's. The kid is playing with WAY MORE cards in his deck then either of these two.

It's players who aren't considered great who are better then both of these guys.

Looking at your post I assumed someone was quoting the stupid.

Thanks for saving us the time.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

These two guys are so overrated it's disgusting. Magic Johnson was a big slow 6'9 guy could handle the ball, but that's where his good qualities end. He couldn't shoot, he couldn't guard quick PG'S and had he not played in LA, but instead played for SACRAMENTO (during that time) nobody would be calling him great.

Larry Bird had a great jump shot, but that's where his good qualities end. He was slow, couldn't defend (only reason he could play defense was because they let him hold and play dirty, was the dirtiest player of his day). If he played today he'd be the 11th man on Utah or Indiana's bench.

During the 80s (pre Jordan) the NBA didn't have anybody too promote, so they promoted these 2 players. The NBA is a business and all about marketing.
    but that's where his good qualities end.
    False.
    He couldn't shoot,
    False. He had a very reliable mid-range shot. Looked ugly but went in much more than out.
    he couldn't guard quick PG'S
    True but not many people of his size could.
    and had he not played in LA, but instead played for SACRAMENTO (during that time) nobody would be calling him great.
    Conjecture. You have no clue what a team with Magic, Theus and Eddie Johnson and bigs like Thompson and Thorpe could do.
    Larry Bird had a great jump shot, but that's where his good qualities end.
    No they don't.
    couldn't defend (only reason he could play defense was because they let him hold and play dirty, was the dirtiest player of his day).
    That's a myth. He was solid.
    If he played today he'd be the 11th man on Utah or Indiana's bench.
    Conjecture, and an epic facapalm-inducing one. Nobody in modern league comes even close to the basketball IQ Bird had. If he could drop 40 on Larry Nance whose athleticism matches that of any other player today and who was also a very good defender, nobody is stopping him now wither.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzer87
    yeah a 19 year rookie playing 4 positions taking his team on the road to win a game, and name MVP of the finals.....Yeah very overrated. How old are u 17?
    I know you mean well, but you like 95% of ISH,you are what I coined as 'stat geeks'. You can't analyze a person's skill set, so you talk about their credentials. Magic Johnson could play 4 positions, and he was only SOLID for his day, but he's far from great. Great players are great under any circumstances, like when Lebron James played on those shitty Cleveland teams. Magic Johnson played on teams that would be TITLE CANDIDATES WITHOUT HIM.

Let's really analyze this, how the hell can you be a great PG when you can't shoot, nor drive to the basket at will in Johnson's case. Or how can you be a great forward when you can't even run like in Bird's face. Bird created space by throwing elbows then shooting. Alot of Bird's points should have been offensive fouls.
    Last edited by TAZORAC; 04-04-2013 at 01:20 AM.

I'd rather have Carmelo Anthony on my team over Larry Bird anyday of the week
    That says more about your lack of perception and judgment than it does about Bird.

Let's really analyze this, how the hell can you be a great PG when you can't shoot, nor drive to the basket at will in Johnson's case.
    Which Johnson are you talking about here? Because if that statement was about Magic, there is about as much truth to it as saying that LeBron couldn't dunk.
    Last edited by Kovach; 04-04-2013 at 01:21 AM.

players of today do not have the basketball iq, fundamentals, off ball play and team orientation that bird and magic had. they do have it, but not to the extent that these legends did. if you're not trolling you're just a damn fool caught up in himself.

I rule the local playground nnn123's Avatar

I don't know what's up with the never-ending influx of idiots on this site...

but when you make comments like the following

"If he played today he'd be the 11th man on Utah or Indiana's bench"

...no one ever is going to take you seriously. If you're going to troll, at least troll with a little bit of style or f****** intelligence for crying out loud

Quote Originally Posted by Kovach
    That says more about your lack of perception and judgment than it does about Bird.
    Yea because saying arguably the best scorer in modern day basketball, is better then a guy who can't run, jump, and knees/elbows to make space to get a shoot off on other guys who couldn't run or jump in the 1980s is so far fetched.

Larry Bird and Magic Johnson didn't have the psychical attributes to influence the game enough in today's basketball to be considered great. I saw a program once, which featured many players from the 80s talking about other players during the 80s. Several guys mentioned after playing against Larry Bird, have bruises and cuts from being elbowed and knee'd by Larry Bird

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz
    players of today do not have the basketball iq, fundamentals, off ball play and team orientation that bird and magic had. they do have it, but not to the extent that these legends did. if you're not trolling you're just a damn fool caught up in himself.
    The median of your bolded of players today is higher than the Bird/Magic era. Bird and Magic were great, top 10 guys. But people gotta stop acting like the 5th starter on Team X is a 2nd option today "because the fundamentals." Sports is the only entity I can think of that nostalgia has such a firm grip on evolution.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Magic Johnson played on teams that would be TITLE CANDIDATES WITHOUT HIM.
    They hadn't been a title candidate since Wilt and West retired before Magic rode into town.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Larry Bird and Magic Johnson didn't have the psychical attributes to influence the game enough in today's basketball to be considered great.
    Magic was an incredible athlete. They didn't call it showtime for nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz
    I've coached, recruited and before that I played at the college level. You would never get hired as a scout. While I'm analyzing guys skills, you'd have your stat sheet not watching the game and trying to recruit guys who played on winning teams.

I bet if you worked for an NBA organization, had the opportunity to draft 2 players, you'd draft 2 guys who were in the final 4 and not the 2 most talented guys.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

****** thirsty for attention these days.

Yea because saying arguably the best scorer in modern day basketball, is better then a guy who can't run, jump, and knees/elbows to make space to get a shoot off on other guys who couldn't run or jump in the 1980s is so far fetched.
    Good keyword. In their era players like Melo existed by the dozens, and Bird came out on top. For a very good reason.
    Larry Bird and Magic Johnson didn't have the psychical attributes to influence the game enough in today's basketball to be considered great.
    In the league where JJ Barea scores 11 pts in 20 minutes on average? Sure.

I've coached, recruited and before that I played at the college level. You would never get hired as a scout. While I'm analyzing guys skills, you'd have your stat sheet not watching the game and trying to recruit guys who played on winning teams.

I bet if you worked for an NBA organization, had the opportunity to draft 2 players, you'd draft 2 guys who were in the final 4 and not the 2 most talented guys.
    way to deflect.