Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: The Thunder have no offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    Its almost like you're in denial. Do you not know the difference between having great individual offensive players and having a good offensive SCHEME? Its been broken down in this thread by multiple people..Its not that difficult to understand really....There's no reason for Thunder fans to be defensive. Nobody in here is shitting on them, people have explained why with logic...
    Well I know the difference between saying a team's offense sucks, and a team's offensive scheme sucks, which is not the wording that was used in the OP. OP clearly stated the oklahoma offense sucks, which I dispute.

Well I know the difference between saying a team's offense sucks, and a team's offensive scheme sucks, which is not the wording that was used in the OP. OP clearly stated the oklahoma offense sucks, which I dispute.
    As for the title, "offense" used to refer to offensive scheme is common. (At least I think so; I'm using the parlance my coach used with me.) As for my actual OP, if you had read it, there is no way you could think I was saying the team was ineffective on offense and couldn't score. Everything I said had to do with offensive schematics and off-ball motion and a childish reliance on sheer talent on the part of their coach at times. Nowhere did I say they couldn't or didn't put points on the board.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Toker
    And yet, the OP and others have been explaining very clearly what they meant for the past few pages...

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    They've fooled me for years.

Their players are so young, and so good, and so naturally active, that it's easy to miss.

But they actually have NO offense. Watching them followed up by the Nuggets has made this very obvious.

There are never more than 2 players moving at one time. They set the weakest picks I have seen in my life (and I have refereed 3rd graders' leagues). All they do is force feed Durant on the wing, or have Westbrook make something up (if Westbrook hasn't already shot it).

Westbrook's high assist stats are evidence of this. It's because the Thunder are a one-pass offense. Westbrook breaks through the first line - meets more opposition - passes the basketball. If that guy isn't open, the Thunder have nothing; you don't see 3, 4, 5 crisp passes lead to a wide open shot or layup like you routinely do with the Spurs.

And it doesn't *seem* to affect him (because he's that damn good), but Westbrook almost never gets the ball in stride unless he's in transition; every time Parker brings up the ball he passes it then runs around 2-3 screens, gets the ball, then someone *sprints* up to him and sets a *great* pick. That's the beginning of every Spurs possession. Imagine how much better Westbrook would be if the halfgame looked like that for him.

This team is great as it is, and could win a title any year, but they're seriously being held back by inept (I might say nonexistent) coaching.

Scott Brooks is the coach for that team; they'll never fire a guy who has great relationships with his players and who wins 60 games every year. But they really need to hire an assistant coach who excels at Xs and Os. What is Eddie Jordan up to these days?
    I kinda agree. The Thunder offense becomes fairly predictable late game. Either Durant/Westbrook ISO from top of the key, drive to the rim or pull up, or the same thing except with Durant starting off the wing instead, and dish to whoever gets open if they get doubled. Or Durant coming off a screen for a jumper. Not a lot of off-ball movement from other guys. They win teams by overwhelming teams with their talent/youth/athleticism. So when they meet a team like Miami, they really have no advantage over them.