Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan

I grew up hating Kobe.

I first got into the NBA when I moved to San Antonio as an 11 year old kid in 2001....right when the Lakers were dominating the Spurs and the whole league. Regardless, I got swept up in the love that SA has for the Spurs, especially since it was the first time I lived in a city with a pro team. I've been a huge fan ever since.

Now that I'm a little less bitter, I truly do respect Kobe. Just an ice-cold killer and an all-time great.

I could go on and on about Duncan. I could always identify with his introverted and quiet, yet determined and competitive, personality. He really is one of the best leaders and players of all time.

We're lucky to be able to watch them over their careers. Two of the saddest days in the NBA will be when these two call it quits.

To Kobe and Duncan:

Oh yeah. You gotta give props to these legends of the game, along with KG and P-Double (Paul Pierce) for putting up numbers like the ones they are putting up...at such an advanced age. I am just more impressed with Kobe though. Playing 38 minutes a game and getting 27/5/5 and shooting 47% decent.

Wasn't this thread supposed to be an appreciation thread?.. Uncontrolled Kobe stans and Kobe haters, they are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    That's a really bad comparison seeing as the Spurs are a small market team that's been forced to stay under the luxury tax for most of their existence. Meanwhile, Duke spends more than any other college program in the nation.
    I meant rich in talent and having winning seasons. Not fiscal rich comparisons.

If I was a SA Spurs fan, that's how I would feel. Lucky to have had the chips fall in the right places at the right time.

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

This is suppose to be a appreciation thread for both players. Not comparing them what so ever...and please stop the dumb bashing.

And I do agree a player like KG could be included to this topic as well. But he just does not have the resumes that Kobe and Timmy do as far as titles and consistency of deep playoff runs.

Imagine Kobe and Duncan? They would have won six or seven

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    My main problem with Tim Duncan is the fact that he was never a Power Forward. The only reason he ever played that position is the fact that David Robinson played about 6 games in the 96-97 season and the Spurs were the luckiest mother ****ers ever to get the first pick and be able to get Duncan in the 1997 draft. The fact of the matter is he's a CENTER AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN A CENTER. THE ONLY REASON HE'S EVER BEEN PUT AS A PF IS THAT HE PLAYED WITH DAVID ROBINSON FOR THE FIRST SIX YEARS OF HIS CAREER. It's ****ing annoying how people say Duncan is the best PF of all time when HE WAS NEVER A PF EVER! He was only put at that position because he played with David Robinson.

Why do you come across so angry about it? It's a bit excessive. You sound like a very resentful person. Like this was a personal issue or something. Calm the hell down. With that said, I absolutely agree. And I do not call him the greatest PF ever, because as you said, he's a center.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Funk
    Imagine Kobe and Duncan? They would have won six or seven
    Doubt it. Kobe would have demanded Timmy to be traded or he'll leave as a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Duncan is willing to defer while Shaq wouldn't. When Parker won FMVP, Duncan didn't make a fuss and today's Spurs have Parker as their best player and not a peep out of Duncan's mouth.

I see this hypothetical duo of Kobe/Duncan to be longer lasting than Kobe/Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Ur smoking, Timmy is no where near as selfish as Shaq was, Kobe and Duncan would compliment each other so well, even their personalities are a perfect match up.