Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Paul Pierce vs Scottie Pippen

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I struggle to think of anything that Pierce does better than Pippen other than shoot...
    Create off the dribble.

You know, the single most important skill in basketball.

Whenever I watch those Bulls games, all Pippen does on offense is what Lamar Odom did for the Lakers, plus stroking open 3s, often in transition.

I've heard from fans who've turned their nostalgia switch off that that second 3peat team struggled to score at times. ... the Thunder don't struggle to score ever. If Pippen had Pierce's offensive abilities, that would've never been an issue. Of course, if Pippen had been Pierce, their signature defense would have been radically altered, and they wouldn't have been as successful. Ultimately when you have MJ all you need is defense and shooters. That doesn't mean that, outside of all contexts, Pip is a better overall player than Pierce though. Doesn't mean he isn't either.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Create off the dribble.

I certainly disagree with that. The single most important skill is all about context; there is no one true answer.
    I can't create off the dribble but I still dominate when I play. Obviously not at NBA level, but still basketball against like-skilled players. In fact, I tend to dominate the players that can create their own shots.. they create them, then I send them into the second row.

I do agree, however, that Pierce is better at creating his own shot. So Pierce can create his own shot, and shoot, better. Pippen is a better defender (man and help), creator, leader (arguably), better in transition...

College superstar

Pippen > Pierce

He's better defensively and is a better facilitator than Pierce. The only thing Pierce does better is score, and it's not by a huge margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Create off the dribble.

that's a horrible statement.
    in 1-on-1 games maybe but not in the nba.