Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 1984 Larry Bird vs. 2012 LeBron James

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Soooooo......... Lemme get this straight......

You're saying because defensive rules are weaker these days, nobody plays good offence anymore? Offensive efficiency has LOWERED?

So, what? If they brought back hand checking, LeBron would being shooting an even higher percentage and have more assists?

How in the world does that make any sense?
    Me? I was just making assumptions off of basically nothing like you previously

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Me? I was just making assumptions off of basically nothing like you previously

Very good NBA starter

Any playoff run achieved in the post-98 eastern conference era must be diminished IMO.

The lack of depth has been unprecedented. Perimeter players like Lebron, AI, Kidd, Vince and T-mac have all benefited from the lack of quality teams.

Yeah, if they were shooting 70%, sure. They weren't. The offensive efficiency wasn't any better. Just more possessions due to nobody playing any defense.

This IS confusing, though. If you are implying the reason they shot more is because nobody played D, one would think that they would get better shots (which would equal more efficiency.)

I think it's amazing that they scored so much back then. The NBA went through some dark ages where no one could hit 100 for awhile, too. I think we are going back toward high scoring. It's all about rule adjustments. They aren't giving as many FTs now, either.

I'd say that team D is better now, but in terms of being a superstar and/or 1 on 1 D... it's no contest. Stars get more ridiculous calls and you can't stop anyone 1v1. That's why you see people shooting so many wide open 3s.

-Smak

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    This IS confusing, though. If you are implying the reason they shot more is because nobody played D, one would think that they would get better shots (which would equal more efficiency.)

I think it's amazing that they scored so much back then. The NBA went through some dark ages where no one could hit 100 for awhile, too. I think we are going back toward high scoring. It's all about rule adjustments. They aren't giving as many FTs now, either.

I'd say that team D is better now, but in terms of being a superstar and/or 1 on 1 D... it's no contest. Stars get more ridiculous calls and you can't stop anyone 1v1. That's why you see people shooting so many wide open 3s.

-Smak
    How is it confusing? At any level of play good defenses force you to take longer to set up your offense. He's implying that since the efficiency of the 80's was equal to that of today's, it's easier to get quality looks back then due to the higher amount of possessions. I swear like 5 guys on this board actually play bball.

However, even though I think the D is slightly better now than the 80's, the difference in possessions stems mostly from better midrange shooting, ball movement, and team play. NBA now is spend 15 seconds of the clock trying to iso your superstar, making long range shooters that much more valuable to stretch the floor to iso easier.

Bird actually averaged 10.1RPG that season, not 11. James was at 7.9.

They're pretty even statistically. Bird outrebounds by a significant margin and Bird averaged more assists, surprisingly enough. James averages more points on better FG% and gets to the line more, tho Bird is the better FT shooter. Bird didn't shoot the 3 much then and didn't have a great year. People disregard that the 3point line was not the weapon it is now.

As far as rebound numbers...the great Pacers fan does not take into consideration that Bird has a higher rebounding percentage.

Altogether, this is actually tough. Since we're talking about last year then we're talking about LeBron's best defensive performance. Bird actually made the All-Defensive Team, but James is definitely the better defender. Bird has had better years, tho maybe not better playoff runs...85 is the best statistical season (maybe 88 as well) and 86 is the absolute all-around of Larry Bird, along with maybe the best team ever and a remarkable run.

I will give the Edge to Larry, but this one is actually close.

Decent playground baller

Yeah, if they were shooting 70%, sure. They weren't. The offensive efficiency wasn't any better. Just more possessions due to nobody playing any defense.
    You're leaving out the fact that offenses emphasized pushing the ball through mid-court in transition in the 80s to greater extent than teams do today.

That also accounted for the increased pace, and I would argue, made for better, more dynamic offense.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    How is it confusing? At any level of play good defenses force you to take longer to set up your offense. He's implying that since the efficiency of the 80's was equal to that of today's, it's easier to get quality looks back then due to the higher amount of possessions. I swear like 5 guys on this board actually play bball.

However, even though I think the D is slightly better now than the 80's, the difference in possessions stems mostly from better midrange shooting, ball movement, and team play. NBA now is spend 15 seconds of the clock trying to iso your superstar, making long range shooters that much more valuable to stretch the floor to iso easier.
    See my point on pushing the ball up the court.