Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bill Russell jumps over a guy

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    If it's nothing but a graceful layup why is the sports world creaming their pants over it right now?
    Because it's Bill Russell and people cream their pants over even the slightest hint of athletic ability from past legends.

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    Because it's Bill Russell and people cream their pants over even the slightest hint of athletic ability from past legends.

Something's telling me this is only the tip of the iceberg...CavsFTW has a lot of footage, so I feel like he's going to be dropping some major bombs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

I acknowledge amazing feats when I see them.

If Bill Russell dunked from a foot inside the free throw line, then I would be like yeah, that dude could sky.

But a layup from the dotted line? He glided pretty nicely, but it was still a layup from the dotted line.

P.S... picking up your dribble from around the 3-point line is very common. I don't even know why that needed to be mentioned...

Why are people making out over this?

It's not like he threw it down... he layed the ball up... and he is like 7 feet tall.

It's not surprising he could lay the ball up from the dotted line...

He jumped from damn near the FT line AND jumped over a guy....after grabbing the defensive rebound on one end and dribbling coast-to-coast.

If Bill Russell dunked from a foot inside the free throw line, then I would be like yeah, that dude could sky.

But a layup from the dotted line? He glided pretty nicely, but it was still a layup from the dotted line.

P.S... picking up your dribble from around the 3-point line is very common. I don't even know why that needed to be mentioned...
    You seem to be forgetting he jumped over another player on the play.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

this edited vid getting alot of publicity!

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    this edited vid getting alot of publicity!

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Something's telling me this is only the tip of the iceberg...CavsFTW has a lot of footage, so I feel like he's going to be dropping some major bombs soon.

not really, if he had anything spectacular it would have been out by now

It's like that time we first saw Yoda bust out his lightsaber in Attack of the Clones...

Bill is the Yoda of the NBA... until now we just saw him in puppet form.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215

He jumped from damn near the FT line AND jumped over a guy....after grabbing the defensive rebound on one end and dribbling coast-to-coast.
    Near the free throw line is a little misleading.

He was a good 2 feet away from the free throw line:

And then he LAYED THE BALL UP... he didn't even dunk!, and he landed right by the out of bounds line:

Oh, and as far as "jumping over" somebody... that isn't true. Here:

He jumped to the side of him. If you think he jumped over him, your eyes are deceiving you.

"After grabbing the offensive rebound... dribbling coast to coast" yada yada.. Now you are just trying to make it seem more impressive than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    You seem to be forgetting he jumped over another player on the play.
    No he didn't. See above.

The whole reason he kicked his leg out near the end of the layup is because his right leg hit the guy and knocked it out from under him a little bit.
    Last edited by bmd; 02-26-2013 at 12:07 AM.

NBA Superstar

I have to be real, I am largely in agreement with you here. The bigger surprise to me is, who thought Bill Russell couldn't do this?

I suppose I'll answer my own question - I'm guessing there's a lot of folks out there who don't know a lot about Bill Russell. But for those who are fans of the NBA and its history, this is a cool clip, but is it really that stunning and amazing? One of the greatest players and athletes of all-time, standing 6'9'', dribbled down the court, picked up his dribble and completed a finger roll while he was in college. Pointing out certain normal things such as "he picked up his dribble at the three point line" feels forced.

Is the clip cool? Yes. Am I thankful for a clear clip from so long ago hitting YouTube? Definitely. But was I truly amazed by this clip? I can't say that I was. Lastly, I know this will sound like I'm being a stickler, but it doesn't really look like Russell jumped over that defender at all. I mean, it looks like he could have with ease, but it appeared as if that fellow was not really in his flight path.

Fun clip either way.

Near the free throw line is a little misleading.

He was a good 2 feet away from the free throw line:

And then he LAYED THE BALL UP... he didn't even dunk!, and he landed right by the out of bounds line:

Oh, and as far as "jumping over" somebody... that isn't true. Here:

He jumped to the side of him. If you think he jumped over him, your eyes are deceiving you.

"After grabbing the offensive rebound... dribbling coast to coast" yada yada.. Now you are just trying to make it seem more impressive than it was.
    Writhing in pain and frustration

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I have to be real, I am largely in agreement with you here. The bigger surprise to me is, who thought Bill Russell couldn't do this?

I suppose I'll answer my own question - I'm guessing there's a lot of folks out there who don't know a lot about Bill Russell. But for those who are fans of the NBA and its history, this is a cool clip, but is it really that stunning and amazing? One of the greatest players and athletes of all-time, standing 6'9'', dribbled down the court, picked up his dribble and completed a finger roll while he was in college. Pointing out certain normal things such as "he picked up his dribble at the three point line" feels forced.

Is the clip cool? Yes. Am I thankful for a clear clip from so long ago hitting YouTube? Definitely. But was I truly amazed by this clip? I can't say that I was. Lastly, I know this will sound like I'm being a stickler, but it doesn't really look like Russell jumped over that defender at all. I mean, it looks like he could have with ease, but it appeared as if that fellow was not really in his flight path.

Fun clip either way.
    I am in full agreement with you here. It IS a cool clip, and Bill Russell was an awesome player. But nothing here is really surprising or amazing.

I feel like people are exaggerating this into some great feat just because it's Bill Russell.

And for the record, I love Bill Russell. But I also like to be realistic.