Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Now a Cavs fan again

Default Re: NBA.com Revamped Stats Engine..TS% replacing FG%?

TS% is used by Durant-worshiping sheep who try to overrate him. They claim it measures true efficiency of a player because it accounts for threes and things like that, but it overrates players who shoot too many free throws. Anyone can have a ridiculous TS% if they draw fouls when when they get breathed on out on the perimeter.

FG% > TS%

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2010splash
    TS% is used by Durant-worshiping sheep who try to overrate him. They claim it measures true efficiency of a player because it accounts for threes and things like that, but it overrates players who shoot too many free throws. Anyone can have a ridiculous TS% if they draw fouls when when they get breathed on out on the perimeter.

FG% > TS%
    If a player knows how to get to the foul line, good for him.

If you are upset because you think the refs unfairly call falls on Durant's defenders, then your issue is with the refs and not the TS% stat.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    We obviously know that offensive rebounds aren't even close to as likely as defensive rebounds, so no it doesn't even everything out. ORB are literally about 25% of all rebounds.

As a shooting efficiency stat, I guess its not bad. But when looking at OVERALL efficiency of a player, it completely ignores that aspect.
    And we also know that not every defensive rebound leads to a fast-break on the other end. And the amount that do is probably less than 25%.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

What Chazzy is saying is accurate, but the reason I will always like the raw numbers is simply because I want to know about makes and misses.

Missed shots kill...at every level. There is something to missing less shots. Missed free throws hurt as well, but not as much...and this is why we should simply look at everything.

I think a good rundown on a player would list it all.

fg/3p/ft/ts

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    What Chazzy is saying is accurate, but the reason I will always like the raw numbers is simply because I want to know about makes and misses.

Missed shots kill...at every level. There is something to missing less shots. Missed free throws hurt as well, but not as much...and this is why we should simply look at everything.

fg/3p/ft/ts
    Exactly.

More information > Less information.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

fg/3p/ft/ts
    Definitely...I mean looking at all three would obviously give you more information.

But i think some ppl in here are seriously trying to argue that FG% alone is better than TS%...which is hysterical and is just wrong.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Definitely...I mean looking at all three would obviously give you more information.

But i think some ppl in here are seriously trying to argue that FG% alone is better than TS%...which is hysterical and is just wrong.
    I don't think they are saying that. Seems to me they would be arguing that ft percentage shouldn't be included with how efficient a player is making shots in games. Which I can see how that makes sense.

Nobody thinks FG% alone is better. That gives you literally 0 information about free throws.

FG% in conjunction with FT% and 3pt% is clearly superior to TS%.

TS% isn't even a stat. It's a metric. That belongs in a different category than the stats.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I clicked on the players icon and it says that Kobe is 6'7"

http://stats.nba.com/playerProfile.html?PlayerID=977
    And 220 lbs

I rule the local playground Jax's Avatar

Kobe is indeed 6'7 and 220. What's wrong?

3-time NBA All-Star

And we also know that not every defensive rebound leads to a fast-break on the other end. And the amount that do is probably less than 25%.
    They aren't necessarily fast breaks, but easier opportunities just cause the defense doesn't have as much time to set themselves.