Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: NBA.com Revamped Stats Engine..TS% replacing FG%?

Quote Originally Posted by Vragrant
    Kobe fans are ecstatic right now
    Why? Kobe doesn't have a truly elite TS%

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Its easily the most overrated stat in the NBA, I don't know if TS is any better, the reailty is how much impact a player has on a game is far greater than any stat.

Well yeah, but you need some way to concretely try to measure things, and that is why stats exist.

And you need to able to measure someone's performance in a game that you didn't see. No person watches every game of every player each year.

And even if they did, their memory wouldn't be good enough to reliably evaluate everybody. You need some way to quickly summarize everything.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Well yeah, but you need some way to concretely try to measure things, and that is why stats exist.

And you need to able to measure someone's performance in a game that you didn't see. No person watches every game of every player each year.

And even if they did, their memory wouldn't be good enough to reliably evaluate everybody. You need some way to quickly summarize everything.
    I agree but the problem is to often people use purely statistics to compare players which is just dumb without taking into account various other factors or even ever watching that player.

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Why? Kobe doesn't have a truly elite TS%
    He does not, but TS% makes him look markedly better. I'm not saying Kobe is woefully inefficient but I've seen many Kobe fans over the years say FG% is "useless" and cite his TS% numbers.

Points Per Possession or eFG% are more accurate when it comes to showing efficiency, nowadays anything below 50% FG is terrible for some reason. Though the difference between 45% and 50% is basically 1 extra shot going in every game, and most games aren't decided by just one posession.

The smaller you are, the lower your FG% will be. But if you are a slasher and get to the free throw line and make up for it, then your eFG% will still be over 50%.

Would you rather have a guy shooting 50% on 20 shots for 22 points, or a guy shooting 45% on 20 shots but with 26 points. Points Per Possesion take into account everything and show you real efficiency. It's when you have more shots taken than points scored that you are hurting the team.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I like eFG% better than TS.

I don't see why a guy's free throw percentage should be calculated with how he shoots during live action.

Banned

They're just making it more fancy for stat whore to drool over with.

They wouldn't replace FG% because it's one of the key secondary stats.
    Main 3/5: Points, Rebounds, Assists / Steals and Blocks
    Secondary: FG%, 3-PT%, FT%
    Misc.: GP, Mins, Turnovers

TS% is basically "Advance Stats."

It's cool that NBA.com is embracing advanced stats, listing TS% on the front page of their stats site is pretty big. I remember everyone would keep dismissing it by saying "HOW COME I DON'T SEE TS% ANYWHERE ON NBA.COM?"

They should just use a points-per-attempt stat. You would have to count shots where a foul occurs as an attempt, but it truly would be the most accurate shooting statistic.

Serious playground baller RobertdeMeijer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    They should just use a points-per-attempt stat. You would have to count shots where a foul occurs as an attempt, but it truly would be the most accurate shooting statistic.
    I believe that if you multiply TS% by 2, you would get that.

I rule the local playground Jax's Avatar

PER never lies for a minimum of at least 100 minutes...

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Let's see. There is a multiplier. 0.44. To adjust free throws. The people which defends that BS said to me it's an adjustment for and-ones and technical free throws.

Wouldn't that 0.44 multiplier be changed in every season? Even after every week? Care to explain?

There should be a multiplier which is particular to every single season.
    And-1s, 3pa fts, technical fts, etc. aren't recorded in the box score, so you have to estimate. This isn't a problem with TS%, it's a problem with any scoring efficiency stat; they all use the .44 multiplier. If you want a greater degree of precision, find the stats yourself, and adjust the formula. You'll have to update it every game, for every player.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Points Per Possession or eFG% are more accurate when it comes to showing efficiency
    In what way are they more accurate? PPP is just TS% with OREB, and TO taken into account. EFG% is just TS% without FTs.

The smaller you are, the lower your FG% will be. But if you are a slasher and get to the free throw line and make up for it, then your eFG% will still be over 50%.
    FTAs don't have any impact on your eFG%.

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Well field goal percentage doesn't take that variance into consideration either...it just doesn't even look at the free throws, which is obviously worse than the difference between .44 and .47 or whatever you think it should be.
    Because FT% has it's own stat. As it should be. TS% is stupid.

Anyone else look at any of the other stats?

Melo is by far first in usage%, and averages a pitiful 2.7 assists.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    No. Because it inflates the importance of players the refs help.