Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Dwight

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default Re: Orlando Dwight

The 2011 series against the Hawks he beasted.

27.0 ppg, 15.5 rpg on 63%.

So, I wouldn't say he was in his norm those games (FTs), but his post moves did improve and he isn't demonstrating what he was in Orlando to the Lakers. I haven't seen him do a hook shot in a while with the Lakers and he used to do that a lot with Orlando.

I don't know what's going on with him.
    Last edited by Micku; 01-23-2013 at 12:46 AM.

when dwight goes to a new team next year and rapes the lakers I will laugh so hard

Very good NBA starter

[QUOTE]Dwight has been regressing in the post the last two years. In the 2010-11 season, Dwight was scoring 0.93 points per post possession, making 50.6 percent of his shots in the post, and turning the ball over 14.5 percent of the time. Last season as Dwight battled injuries and trade rumors he initiated, those numbers slipped to 0.88 PPP and 49.9 percent, while his turnover rate of improved to 13.6 percent.

This season? Dwight is scoring just 0.78 points per possession in the post, making 48.2 percent of his shots, and turning the ball over an astounding 19.7 percent of the time. One out of every five times you throw the ball into the post with Dwight, he

Back injuries + ChuckBe + D'Antoni = fail

Banned

About time You come out of the Cave and unleash on these trolls.

Problems I have with Dwight is stop Crying stop Hating Kobe and Be the Dwight I use to like before he made it to the Finals.

Also keep on learning. Even Hakeem has pointed out Dwight does not use any of the moves they worked on.

Dwight just got TOO Big headed TOO early. If this Chump stayed humble and Play with the same energy he use to Lakers would not be where they are at right now.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

dwight can be a dominating force if he learns how to use his body more in the post, rather than trying to back down people using his arm strenght. like when we played the cavs, dwight just forced his way into great position in the paint against zeller and we were able to get him the ball for easy baskets. but besides that game, he never uses his core strength

another problem that hinders dwights offense in la is that steve nash and company like running high pick and rolls. dwight, for the life of him, cant seem to figure out how to roll, let alone catch the ball in traffic. and since he cant pop either, it makes him look offensively inept. this is why he needs to learn to post up/back down using his body/core and not just his upper body strength.

.as far as athleticism is concerned, its still only half way through his first sesaon post surgery. so his athleticism may come close to what it once was, but in the mean time, he needs to learn on improving his offense without the help of his once absurd athleticism.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    The 2011 series against the Hawks he beasted.

27.0 ppg, 15.5 rpg on 63%.

So, I wouldn't say he was in his norm those games, but his post moves did improve and he isn't demonstrating what he was in Orlando to the Lakers. I haven't seen him do a hook shot in a while with the Lakers and he used to do that a lot with Orlando.

I don't know what's going on with him.
    Regardless of numbers, nothing Dwight did in the Atlanta series was unusually good for him that year. He didn't play poorly, but I've seen him play better games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    It's the back. He's a shell of his former self athletically.
    Nice post, thanks, I was wondering about the numbers prior to this season. And that doesn't factor in some of the missed lay ups he had around the rim this season that would have been huge dunks, or and 1s in the past.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    It's the back. He's a shell of his former self athletically.
    bingo. No one debates that he was great in orlando but just like players like Steve Francis who had a brief moment in the sun, when your game is based on athleticism it will fade fast and that's what's happened to dwight. he never had the foresight or ability to become fundamentally sound and now his athleticism is diminished he doesn't have the other facets of his game to compensate.

When you game only work in a contrived niche where you are surrounded by shooters and falls apart when taken out of that environment then that's also an indictment of your game.

Samurai Swoosh

I was never a fan. Hate his attitude. He's shady, corny, and lacks true competitive spirit. He's a clown. If Kobe wanted to BE MJ, then Dwight is just as bad for aping and wanting to BE Shaq. Except without the dominance.

He was quite the defensive presence, but without his athleticism, he's just slightly better than a healthy Andrew Bynum. Still good, but he's never been great. Even when healthy.

With that said, he's better than what he's show in LA, even without his athleticism. The coaches and leaders on that team aren't finding appropriate ways to get him involved enough to keep his enthusiasm up on offense, but more importantly to put more effort on defense.

He's one of these modern CLOWN basketball players. Without his athleticism, he is a borderline all-star. Weak skill set. Doesn't help LA's team leaders don't get him properly motivated to want to ball harder, though.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I agree that he peaked in 2011, it's unfortunate, but I don't see him topping his play then, and I had VERY high hopes for him. I don't blame Kobe, though. It's a combination of his back surgery, his effort and D'Antoni's TERRIBLE coaching. You're a Knick fan, right? You remember how bad D'Antoni was?
    I remember him coaching the Knicks into the playoffs for the first time in six years. That jerk. But obviously I defer to the intelligentsia of ISH ( ) for the last word on NBA coaching.

Here's the thing with D'antoni. He puts Dwight on the low block and tries to feature him with Nash, and he gets shit for not playing Pau. He puts Pau in the game with Dwight, and they both look like shit. Mike Brown was supposed to translate his experience coaching the Twin Towers of San Antonio, and they looked like shit. Hell, they looked like shit the last time Phil Jackson was coaching them two. How many more coaches are they going to burn through? You want to say D'antoni is part of the problem, I won't argue, but these coaches get scapegoated way to easily, and way too arbitrarily. No one's saying Doc Rivers is a bad coach, but he really hasn't done much in his career, and this year looks like a total disaster.

And Kobe's definitely a problem, anyone can see that. Has he ever not had friction or some sort of drama with his teammates? Has he gotten any smarter at all in the last 10 years? Has he made any effort at all to change his game this year, in order to mesh with his fellow Hall of Fame team mates? No, no, and no. Everyone else has to defer to him while he shoots 30 footers and fadeaways and makes 3 out of every 10. And his defense is heinous. Please.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    I remember him coaching the Knicks into the playoffs for the first time in six years. That jerk. But obviously I defer to the intelligentsia of ISH ( ) for the last word on NBA coaching.

Here's the thing with D'antoni. He puts Dwight on the low block and tries to feature him with Nash, and he gets shit for not playing Pau. He puts Pau in the game with Dwight, and they both look like shit. Mike Brown was supposed to translate his experience coaching the Twin Towers of San Antonio, and they looked like shit. Hell, they looked like shit the last time Phil Jackson was coaching them two. How many more coaches are they going to burn through? You want to say D'antoni is part of the problem, I won't argue, but these coaches get scapegoated way to easily, and way too arbitrarily. No one's saying Doc Rivers is a bad coach, but he really hasn't done much in his career, and this year looks like a total disaster.

And Kobe's definitely a problem, anyone can see that. Has he ever not had friction or some sort of drama with his teammates? Has he gotten any smarter at all in the last 10 years? Has he made any effort at all to change his game this year, in order to mesh with his fellow Hall of Fame team mates? No, no, and no. Everyone else has to defer to him while he shoots 30 footers and fadeaways and makes 3 out of every 10. And his defense is heinous. Please.
    Come on, D'Antoni got to the 1st round of the playoffs with Melo and Stoudemire, we didn't have players of either of their calibers since Ewing got old around '97.

My issue with D'Antoni is how stubborn and narrow-minded he is. He has one vision of basketball, and it worked for 3 years in Phoenixs(no titles or finals appearances, though) and he will not adjust to the talent he has.That's what legitimately good coaches do. The clown was favoring Lin over Melo. How crazy is that? I am so thankful we dumped his ass, err, he "resigned."

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter

Kobe's problems with his teammates are overblown. the only drama that really severed a team was with Shaq and that had its faults in both players as well as the team management. Kobe has also adjusted his game to accommodate for Dwight. Kobe always actively look to set dwight up on the low block and has excused himself from the post to give Dwight space. Kobe's game is not to shoot 30 footer these days but he's relegating himself to the perimeter to feature Dwight. Dwight has not shown any appreciation for what Kobe, Nash, and Gasol have done to help him establish himself. That's on Dwight, not Kobe.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Come on, D'Antoni got to the 1st round of the playoffs with Melo and Stoudemire....
    So if the coaching doesn't matter, and it's all up to the players - which is what you're insinuating - , then what's the problem?

My issue with D'Antoni is how stubborn and narrow-minded he is. He has one vision of basketball, and it worked for 3 years in Phoenixs(no titles or finals appearances, though) and he will not adjust to the talent he has.That's what legitimately good coaches do. The clown was favoring Lin over Melo. How crazy is that? I am so thankful we dumped his ass, err, he "resigned."
    Kind of like George Karl or Rick Adelman or any other coach not named Jackson or Popovich in the last 20 years. And he wasn't favoring Lin over Melo, he was favoring winning over a fat malcontent who wanted him fired. You act like he was bringing Melo off the bench and limiting his shot attempts.

Here's my thing. He may not be a great coach, but I feel like of a lot of the criticisms are from people who aren't actually watching the games. He's obviously not running his PHX Suns system in LA, they're a slower, more half court-oriented team, with the shooting guard as the focal point of the offense as opposed to the PG. When was the last time a SG led a "classic" D'antoni team in scoring? It's supposed to be the big man in the middle!

And, with all of these concessions, they've looked their best this season when they've let Nash run the offense and work through Dwight or Pau. But they can't do that as much as I'm sure they'd like too, because then Kobe wouldn't be getting his 30 shots a game.

All the while, he can't post up Dwight because he sucks now, he can't use him the pick and roll because he's awful at that too, they don't have any shooters except for Nash (who is actually playing pretty damn well, because he's some kind of ageless wizard), he can't post up Pau because he's garbage down there, they look pretty good running the pick and roll with Pau, but he obviously doesn't want to be there anymore, Kobe has no concept of aging gracefully for the good of the team, they have no bench, they had no training camp, and he's getting no credit at all for Earl Clark finally looking like the NBA player his body and skills suggest he should be.

It's pandemonium in LA!

Banned

He has lost most of his athleticism which essentially made him a star, it is why he sucks now.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    Kobe's problems with his teammates are overblown. the only drama that really severed a team was with Shaq and that had its faults in both players as well as the team management. Kobe has also adjusted his game to accommodate for Dwight. Kobe always actively look to set dwight up on the low block and has excused himself from the post to give Dwight space. Kobe's game is not to shoot 30 footer these days but he's relegating himself to the perimeter to feature Dwight. Dwight has not shown any appreciation for what Kobe, Nash, and Gasol have done to help him establish himself. That's on Dwight, not Kobe.
    I especially like how Kobe drives in to the paint, goes up for a shot, waits for Dwight to turn around to look for the rebound, and then fires a "pass" right into the back of his head. If nothing else, the Lakers sure are entertaining.