Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    National High School Star Twiens's Avatar

Default Re: Tristan Thompson is starting to get it.

Expecting a 15/12 year with good defense, viva la Canada

I was really impressed by TT this preseason. I don't know how he did it, but he's basically hitting every jumpshot he takes. That along with his improved FT shooting, this could really be his year.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

TT was shooting under 50% from the FT line and had no offensive game from 8 feet from the basket coming in from college now he's hitting jumpers with his right hand.

TT has taken a major step in his development every season he's been in the league. He still has tremendous upside. Last season he added the face up drives, this season its the jumper.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Well, tremendous start to the season by TT last night. I thought he was the best player on the court in the key stretches.

Here is a look at just how much his offense has improved...

10/30/2013 - Tristan Thompson Offensive Highlights Vs. Nets

Local High School Star KB2009Champ's Avatar

I still dont see why they drafted Anthony Bennett who wont be able to play sf in the NBA. He's a PF - at a spot where you have a guy who looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by KB2009Champ
    I still dont see why they drafted Anthony Bennett who wont be able to play sf in the NBA. He's a PF - at a spot where you have a guy who looks great.
    Their skillsets and approach are completely different though. Today's NBA is less about positions and more about versatility and skillsets which mesh well together. Tristan can play either the 4 or the 5 and Bennett likely will play a good bit at the 3.

There is no one the Cavs could have drafted who would be a starter on this team. Oladipo/McLemore would have made even less sense with Dion Waiters already here. I don't see how their skillsets would mesh in the least (unlike Bennett/Tristan) and it looks like Dion has improved greatly on the defensive side this offseason. He was hounding Joe Johnson all night long.

I wanted Noel, but who really knows where he is medically and maybe the Cavs hit on some other red flags? There's a reason he slipped out of the Top 5 completely. Same thing with McLemore.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 10-31-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KB2009Champ
    Bennett could play some 3 effectively if he loses weight. There's nothing wrong with drafting him since he's not starter material yet and provides a solid backup for Thompson. He could become a trade asset in the future too.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Bennett could play some 3 effectively if he loses weight. There's nothing wrong with drafting him since he's not starter material yet and provides a solid backup for Thompson. He could become a trade asset in the future too.

He's going to be a PF that likes to hang out at the perimeter. He's shown he can guard PF's. Unlikely that he'll ever be able to guard SF's.

Bennett has an absolutely gigantic frame. He should embrace it and utilize that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    He's going to be a PF that likes to hang out at the perimeter. He's shown he can guard PF's. Unlikely that he'll ever be able to guard SF's.

Bennett has an absolutely gigantic frame. He should embrace it and utilize that gift.
    Too early in his career to make that kind of statement, imo. With proper help behind him, I could see him being athletic enough to contest smaller guys on the perimeter. That's where his length could really be an asset. You don't have to be able to stay with a guy step-for-step if you can cover large distances with your wingspan.

It isn't like NBA defenses are about one-on-one matchups anymore anyway. It's about five guys being on a string and knowing when/where to hedge. That's how Boris Diaw was able to have some success defending James in the Finals in small spurts. It wasn't because he could stay with James.

Brown will have this guy playing defense... I have no doubt. I also have little doubt we will eventually have that "defenses on a string" success in time, especially if Bynum continues his comeback.

Hell, Brown already had Dion Waiters looking like an elite defender last night. He was in JJ's hip pocket pretty much all night long.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 10-31-2013 at 08:44 PM.

TT to win MIP this year, book it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGLljMs4_2s