Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

Default Re: Tristan Thompson is starting to get it.

I rather wait a few more games before I say he's getting it. He can go back to his old self when AV comes back and start getting block 2-3 a game and making dumb decisions.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    I think he'll probably always be a reach at number 4. I'll need to see more than an 8 game stretch to change that. Might even be unfair to call him a reach I guess because it's not like it was realistic to draft a guy like Leonard, Parsons, Faried etc. at 4 or something. Think the what if game is stupid but think if you're Cleveland after landing a superstar in Irving you want more than Thompson at 4. Kinda reminds me of OKC getting Durant/Green in the same draft.

Good that it seems like he's on the upswing. Thing that would scare me about Thompson is his inefficiency for a big man on such low volume. Not like a Cousins who's routinely dropping 15+ but he seems to struggle with it while only scoring like 10 points. At the start of the season guy was shooting like 43% on 8.5 points taking almost 8 shots a game. Safe to say Cleveland lost alot of games that month.
    I think draft position is pretty unimportant once a guy starts to actually play in the NBA. Unless you get the best player in the draft (which the Cavs did), there are always going to be "what if" scenarios for whomever you take.

As for his offense, it is a work in progress. Like I said above, he just wasn't comfortable around the rim early in his career and, as a result was getting a lot of shots blocked or altered. One of the reasons excitement is starting to build about him in Cleveland is because those issues are becoming visibly less common. And, his FG% recently is reflecting that.

Like I said, he isn't all the way there yet, but his talent and the reason some people were so high on him coming out of college is becoming clear to those who have been watching the Cavs consistently this year. Will he ever "live up to" the No. 4 pick? Hard to say this early in his career, but I'm not sure I really care. If he becomes a very solid starter on a good team, that is enough for me.

Only time will tell, but he's showing signs.

Quote Originally Posted by NattyPButter
    I rather wait a few more games before I say he's getting it. He can go back to his old self when AV comes back and start getting block 2-3 a game and making dumb decisions.
    And, if that happens, I would say it is time to deal Andy, as much as I love the guy. If Varejao and TT's redundancy has been what is holding back Tristan, it is high time the Cavs give the keys to Thompson and look to the future. Tristan's growth as a player is paramount to the future of this team.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

There's no one I would have picked over him who isn't a total surprise. No one thought Kawhi, Marshon, or Klay would have been worth a 4th pick either. It's not a wasted pick by any means so I'm happy.

Banned

LOL, I picked him up a week ago. Not sure how he was in the FA pool that long.

He's having another excellent game tonight, this time while matched up primarily against Omer Asik... A very good center in this league.

Through 3 quarters, Tristan has 13 points and 14 rebounds, including 8 offensive boards.

Banned

Now that Tristan is producing and when Varejao returns, can both still be productive together? Maybe the East version of Love-Pek, Jefferson-Millsap, and Gasol-Zbo.

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    Now that Tristan is producing and when Varejao returns, can both still be productive together? Maybe the East version of Love-Pek, Jefferson-Millsap, and Gasol-Zbo.
    I think they may be redundant. Both guys are demons on the boards, have really high motors and do most of their scoring around the basket (although Varejao has added a bit of a midrange game).

I'm starting to think it's not an accident that Tristan is producing so well during the time Varejao has been out. I think when Andy is out there, TT naturally takes a backseat with a lot of the stuff he likes to do, because Andy takes care of the same things. It leaves Tristan in sort of a weird limbo when they are on the floor together.

I'll say this... I think what Tristan has shown the last few weeks makes Andy that much more available in a trade. And, I say that as a big Varejao fan.

Tristan is showing he can pick up a lot of the slack and I think the franchise may be best served, in the long-run, if they hand the duties over to TT.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I think they may be redundant. Both guys are demons on the boards, have really high motors and do most of their scoring around the basket (although Varejao has added a bit of a midrange game).

I'm starting to think it's not an accident that Tristan is producing so well during the time Varejao has been out. I think when Andy is out there, TT naturally takes a backseat with a lot of the stuff he likes to do, because Andy takes care of the same things. It leaves Tristan in sort of a weird limbo when they are on the floor together.

I'll say this... I think what Tristan has shown the last few weeks makes Andy that much more available in a trade. And, I say that as a big Varejao fan.

Tristan is showing he can pick up a lot of the slack and I think the franchise may be best served, in the long-run, if they hand the duties over to TT.
    I see...well, you guys are in good position then if Tristan can give be just as productive as Varejao is.

What do Cavs fans want for Andy V?

Looked good tonight and scored with confidence also getting seven boards before halftime.

Which is about the time the Bulls ran away with it.

Gibson looked good too. He would be great for Boston but doubt the Bulls would let him go.
    Last edited by upside24; 01-08-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    I see...well, you guys are in good position then if Tristan can give be just as productive as Varejao is.

What do Cavs fans want for Andy V?
    Young talent + pick. I would say OKC is probably the team best in position, if they wanted to make the move. They have the 2013 Toronto first round pick plus young guys like Lamb and PJ3.

I'd love to see Varejao included in a package that somehow brought Rudy Gay to Cleveland, but that seems like even more of a stretch. Though, Andy's contract is absolutely fantastic considering his production and Memphis looks like they are going to have to move one of their stars.

Quote Originally Posted by upside24
    Looked good tonight and scored with confidence also getting seven boards before halftime.
    Yep... Finished with a very solid 14 points on 6-12 shooting, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 1 block in just 32 minutes. Had this game been remotely close in the second half, he would have easily registered his 8th double-double in the last 10 games.

Tristan looks like he is gaining more and more confidence with each game. Guy is shooting 72% from the free throw line in the last 10 games. That is amazing considering how he started the season.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 01-08-2013 at 02:17 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Will he continue to play like this when Varejao comes back?

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Will he continue to play like this when Varejao comes back?
    I sort of doubt it. I explained it further in an above post. Their games are somewhat redundant.

That isn't to say TT doesn't contribute at all when Andy plays. His game was starting to come around prior to Varejao's injury. But, I don't think both guys can be at their absolute best on the floor at the same time.

Great college starter

not impressed...someone has to get those boards with Andy out

Nice to see my fellow Canadian playing good ball now. I hope he keeps it up.