Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

Default Re: When People say "We" when referring to their favorite sports team

I can't stand when people say "we" like they are on the team. I'll always get a lame response back saying fans are part of the team and they pay money to support them so they are allowed to say "we".

I always refer to my team as the team name. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    I think if you're a season ticket holder or regularly go to games to support your team, then it's perfectly acceptable. Without the fans, there is no team.
    Exactly this

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    The only time I get on a fan saying we is to be a d!ck. Pretty much sums up this thread and people who get on folks for using we.
    u son of a bitch...

-Smak

Actually, I bought one share of MSG stock....just so I could say "we".

Chicago Bulls. plays for Chicago, represents Chicago and the people of Chicago. WE is a correct term to use if you are referring to your towns team. it would be unacceptable if a team wasnt assigned to a group of people or a town. But too bad, teams are so using "we" is acceptable.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

The interesting thing to me is that it's okay to say "we" when talking about your college team but not for the city you're attending.

Penn State Football represents Penn State. So a Penn Stater can go ahead and say "yeah we totally destroyed Georgia Tech today!" and nobody would bat an eye.

But don't the Thunder represent OKC? If you are a resident of OKC, can you not say "We destroyed Miami today!"???

I think maybe there's some subtle subconscious feeling of how well you can relate to the members on team? Students attending school together are a lot more closely related than two people of very different socio-economic classes living different lives in a large city? Just a thought.

If you worry about people saying we when referring to the team they support you must have a lot of troubles in your life.

Teams and players both say things all the time to make fans feel as part of the team...
    "this chanpionship is for you the fans"
    "we couldn't have done it without you the fans"
    Time and time again through all sports we see this because without the fans there is no sport

Teams spend a lot of effort advertising or promoting themselves to draw fans into feeling thye are part of something bigger

Raiders nation, Clippers nation or The (insert your favorite team) faithful
    and many other variations on the theme

No problem with saying "we" only problem I see is people actually getting upset about those that do

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip
    As long as you are a legit fan I don't have a problem with people saying "we".

Its bandwagoners/frontrunners who sound ridiculous saying "we".
    Pretty much this, depends on how emotional/passionate you get over your team. I really don't have a problem with it.. that's the entire concept of being on a team anyways.. you lose together you win together.

Banned

I think the fanbase could be considering a part of them team. I don't mind when loyal fans use it, because they have been with the team so long that they feel like they are a part of the team, even though they aren't. But you can't just say it when you're team is doing good, you have to say it when they are doing bad as well.

Dunking on everybody in the park KrizMiz's Avatar

They say "we won" when the team win, but if their team looses they call it "they lost"...

Banned

If you're a fan then you are part of the team. As fans we pay their salaries by attending games, watching on tv, paying for league pass, buying merchandise and jerseys. We make them popular. So if you have anything directly connected to a team as far as helping them grow. Then you feel a part of them. And as a part of something you refer to them as "we"

If the lakers are my team. And they sign a great player. Then "we " signed a great player

Quote Originally Posted by goldenryan
    When do you consider it acceptable?

A high school team you are currently playing for?
    A high school/local team you once played for?
    A college team of a school you are attending/attended?
    A Pro team from your home state?

A team you just like a player from?
    A team you just like the color scheme of?
    The bold I consider acceptable.

Obviously, the latter 2 are just their for a singular player and on the bandwagon of another team because they are in the spotlight a lot now.

I usually just type "we" because it's faster than typing the team name over and over again.

When my Country is playing.

what if when people start using "we" to account for their favorite player only?

e.g. Pauk:
    "We(Lebron) will win the FMVP this year"
    "We(Lebron) didn't choke in 2011, it was Wade's fault he made us suck"