Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Donating plasma for $$$

I donated plasma for the first time yesterday and received $50! Here's how the payout structure works at the donation center in Lewiston, Maine.

First 5 appointments - $50 each

After that it's $25 for first donation of the week and $35 for your second. The max number of times you can donate is 2X in a 7 day period. Each donation takes about an hour.

So you can start off making $100 per week and then it will drop to $60 as long as you go twice. And of course you're saving lives in the process, not bad!

Anyone here donate plasma?

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: Donating plasma for $$$

It's not donating if you get paid

Good college starter TommyGriffin's Avatar

Good until you get AIDS.

I've thought about it but have never done it. My worry is that I won't feel well afterwards. And if I have a needle in my arm twice a week I'm gonna have track marks and a sore arm 24-7 like a fuggin addict.

How do you feel afterwards?

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I won't lie, but I donated semen once. The nurse jerked me off.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    I've thought about it but have never done it. My worry is that I won't feel well afterwards. And if I have a needle in my arm twice a week I'm gonna have track marks and a sore arm 24-7 like a fuggin addict.

How do you feel afterwards?
    I felt fine afterwards. As long as you eat a good meal and drink plenty of water before the donation you should be good.

I have gotten lightheaded before donating whole blood but that was one of my first experiences. For the plasma donation they take our your blood, separate the plasma and then send the rest of the blood back into your system. So they are taking "less" from your body.

And I'm not sure how often I'm going to go. I don't like the idea of getting stuck with a needle twice a week but I'm going to at least go 5x and get the $250
    Last edited by enayes; 12-13-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    It's not donating if you get paid
    Actually it is. Plasma is needed to save lives and there is no substitute for it. The companies are able to sell the plasma for a lot of money so the donors should get something for their time.

   

i've donated and had blood drawn many times. they took such a minor amount that i never had any troubles afterwards.

even when they were filling like ten different big sample tubes with my precious red stuff and i thought i was a dying robin hood, it was still no big deal.

I'm a pussi when it comes to needles. Can't even take shots or do blood tests.

Banned

A friend of mine told me he did a clinical trial where they paid him $4,000 for like 2 weeks. They use healthy volunteers to test out the effects of drugs for certain illnesses. The drug he tested was already FDA approved and he spent the whole time in a comfortable room w/ cable TV, internet connection, 3 meals a day.

Hell of a hustle. Think it was through Pfizer or some other huge drug conglomerate.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    A friend of mine told me he did a clinical trial where they paid him $4,000 for like 2 weeks. They use healthy volunteers to test out the effects of drugs for certain illnesses. The drug he tested was already FDA approved and he spent the whole time in a comfortable room w/ cable TV, internet connection, 3 meals a day.

Hell of a hustle. Think it was through Pfizer or some other huge drug conglomerate.
    PFIZER is huge

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    Actually it is. Plasma is needed to save lives and there is no substitute for it. The companies are able to sell the plasma for a lot of money so the donors should get something for their time.
    So it's a business transaction, not a donation

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    So it's a business transaction, not a donation
    The donors get paid for their time.

During that time they donate their plasma..

I guess you could consider it a business transaction

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

know1dge wants to get poked for money

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    How do they extract the plasma from you?
    The process is very similar to donating blood, specifically double red cells.

A needle goes into your vein, extracting your blood. You are hooked up to a machine. The machine separates the plasma from your blood. The plasma goes into a container hanging from the machine and the rest of your blood goes back into you. It takes a few cycles to fill up the container with the plasma. So your blood is taken out, you wait a little while the plasma is separated and then they take more blood and separate the plasma, etc. You don't really feel anything during the whole process, just a minor sensation by the needle.

And your body naturally replenishes the lost plasma within 24-48 hours.