Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Default Re: UFC 152: Jones Vs. Belfort

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    If the UFC did this it would go out of business. This is the dumbest idea iv ever read. Dana doesn't own them. What the hell right does he or anyone have to make them move up?
    So a sytem that's worked in boxing with all it's longevity won't work with the UFC...hmm...

Do you listen to fans around you? Despite you may not liking the idea, the paying public wants to see these fights. the general perception is the current champs are too dominant for their weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    He's in charge of the final product and that is exactly what consumers want. he's the boss, he can dictate anything he wants
    No he can't. He's not the grand dictator of MMA. He can't dictate how fighters train and how they cut weight. He can't force anyone to fight at a certain weight class. That's not his job. That's up to the fighters.

So a sytem that's worked in boxing with all it's longevity won't work with the UFC...hmm...
    What system has worked in boxing? They don't always give the fans the fights they want to see. If the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight ever happens, then it's still taken a long, long time for it to happen.

Do you listen to fans around you? Despite you may not liking the idea, the paying public wants to see these fights. the general perception is the current champs are too dominant for their weight class.
    Things get screwed up when you listen to dumbass fans that don't know wtf they're talking about. People start getting undeserved title shots like the one they were trying to hand to Sonnen on a silver platter. The fans aren't matchmakers. Sure, they can have opinions, but they're not matchmakers.

I was in Toronto during the weekend and it was truly pathetic. They couldn't even give tickets away. The bar I went to was dead inside. This is the city where Dana gauranteed a packed house.
    Where did you go? Most good UFC events you have to book reservations to even get a spot at most bars.

Cant force fighters to fight in different divisions.

I agree that they should place 3rd commentator and it HAS to be someone who has actually fought in the octagon.

Tito is an awesome commentator.

As for the boxing system argument, you get that boxers have more control over what weight they fight at and who they fight than Mma fighters right? Do you know anything about either sport? Like anything at all?

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    I'm surprised that a chael fan wouldn't be a Tito fan

Quote Originally Posted by rknine15
    Where did you go? Most good UFC events you have to book reservations to even get a spot at most bars.
    The Loose Moose

As for the boxing system argument, you get that boxers have more control over what weight they fight at and who they fight than Mma fighters right? Do you know anything about either sport? Like anything at all?
    I realize that. But promoters find them the payday and paydays are in the bigger opponents. Do you think Manny makes money staying at lightweight his whole career? This is where UFC can take advantage through the fact they have one promoter.

Do you know anything about business and making money? Like anything at all?
    Last edited by DaHeezy; 09-27-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    No he can't. He's not the grand dictator of MMA. He can't dictate how fighters train and how they cut weight. He can't force anyone to fight at a certain weight class. That's not his job. That's up to the fighters.
    He's the grand dictator of UFC. And are you that naive to beleive he can't influence weight class?

What system has worked in boxing? They don't always give the fans the fights they want to see. If the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight ever happens, then it's still taken a long, long time for it to happen.
    That boxers and promoters know they can't stay in a lower weight class if they've completely run the field. I thought that was an obvious

Things get screwed up when you listen to dumbass fans that don't know wtf they're talking about. People start getting undeserved title shots like the one they were trying to hand to Sonnen on a silver platter. The fans aren't matchmakers. Sure, they can have opinions, but they're not matchmakers.
    Bro, when are you going to realize that you purist are in the minority now? So you think this sport will get by doing the "right" fights. I guess that's why this year has been so successful (turn on sarcasm detector). You have Jones and Silva in their primes yet can't fill out stadiums. This is a business. You can't just cater to the purists. you got to give the paying fans what they want and sometimes it's the "wrong" thing.

If you were an owner and you asked 1000 PPV random subscribers if they would like to see Jones fight JDS or continue to run the LHW field what do you think the people would say?
    Sorry but you would be the Jackass that would take the lesser payday. But hey, as long as it's the "right" thing.

and don't tell me Jones wouldn't want to fight in HW. Anybody will fight anybody for the right amount of money
    Last edited by DaHeezy; 09-27-2012 at 01:30 PM.

lol wut??!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS4bG...eature=related

I would say Brian Stann would make a good color commenter, plus he sounds very well spoken.

The fact that you think a 37 year old silva is "in his prime" is all I need to know.

As for jones vs jds or silva, I'd love to see either. But the thing that makes that kind of matchup special is that they don't happen all the time. Also there are a much more limited number of great Mma fighters than boxers. Too many of those fights and you spoil too many fighters too fast.

For all your talk of a jones jds fight, if bones dominates it then what?(not saying he would) you can't move him back down remotely credibly and you have basically ended every marketable match for a 25 year old with the exception of maybe a Cain fight.

You can't always worry about just the next fight.

The fact that you think a 37 year old silva is "in his prime" is all I need to know.
    He hasn't declined as of yet. He's every bit as good as he was 5 years ago. 37 isn't old considering fighters have fought into their 40's at top level. Chuck was at his peak at 37. As far as I'm concerned you're still in your prime until you clearly can't string together wins against top level competition. And don't act like a condescending prick thinking I'm some sort of UFC newb. I've watched and followed since UFC I.

As for jones vs jds or silva, I'd love to see either. But the thing that makes that kind of matchup special is that they don't happen all the time. Also there are a much more limited number of great Mma fighters than boxers. Too many of those fights and you spoil too many fighters too fast.

For all your talk of a jones jds fight, if bones dominates it then what?(not saying he would) you can't move him back down remotely credibly and you have basically ended every marketable match for a 25 year old with the exception of maybe a Cain fight.

You can't always worry about just the next fight.
    And you think he'll be marketable at LHW? Again, you've lost the business aspect of it. JDS was an example, albeit the best example. Jones will not be a major draw at this division. I was IN Toronto when this event was on. They couldn't give away tickets! Even from the people who were watching at the bar you'd hear I would have paid if Jones fought somweone even the likes of Pat Barry. He's too dominant for LHW. If Bones dominates HW, then consider his the greatest fighter who ever live. The sport needs a long standing champ.

   

wow... really interesting posts going on lately. very cool.

i hate the new SBnation format. two of my favorite sites, MMAfighting and bloodyelbow, are part of that network, and they both went from a slick, clean format to this pretentious NY times-wannabe format with unneeded pics on the front page and this pompous, serif-up-the-ass fonts. and still no mobile format yet, so anytime you try to access on your phone, the whole thing tends to crash.

bah.

He's the grand dictator of UFC. And are you that naive to beleive he can't influence weight class?
    All he can do is sit down with them and try to talk them into it. I don't know why you think Dana White can do anything. Are you naive to believe Dana has ultimate control?

That boxers and promoters know they can't stay in a lower weight class if they've completely run the field. I thought that was an obvious
    They're 2 different sports. Contenders come along fairly often in MMA. 1 big win is sometimes enough to catapult a guy into contender status. Then, there's always rematches. Also, boxing has more weight classes. There's a weight class like every 4-7 pounds.

Bro, when are you going to realize that you purist are in the minority now? So you think this sport will get by doing the "right" fights. I guess that's why this year has been so successful (turn on sarcasm detector).
    What are you even talking about? They haven't been doing the "right" fights and much of the trouble has been due to injuries. They've had successes in a number of PPVs this year. It's just that injuries have been rampant and the lower weight divisions haven't been draws. 1 of the superfights (Silva/GSP) is fairly close to becoming a reality anyways. If they both win their next fights, then it could very well happen.

If you were an owner and you asked 1000 PPV random subscribers if they would like to see Jones fight JDS or continue to run the LHW field what do you think the people would say?
    Sorry but you would be the Jackass that would take the lesser payday. But hey, as long as it's the "right" thing.
    There's a lot of things they could have done to get big PPV numbers, but they didn't because they didn't make much sense to do in the realm of the sport.

and don't tell me Jones wouldn't want to fight in HW. Anybody will fight anybody for the right amount of money
    Jones says he's looking at HW in 2013.

37 isn't old considering fighters have fought into their 40's at top level. Chuck was at his peak at 37.
    If that was his peak, then it was a very short peak considering he went 1-5 after beating Ortiz.

Jones will not be a major draw at this division. I was IN Toronto when this event was on. They couldn't give away tickets! Even from the people who were watching at the bar you'd hear I would have paid if Jones fought somweone even the likes of Pat Barry. He's too dominant for LHW. If Bones dominates HW, then consider his the greatest fighter who ever live. The sport needs a long standing champ.
    16,800 attendance and $1.9 million gate wasn't that bad all things considered. Bones/Belfort was a late add to this card and Belfort wasn't really a worthy opponent. Imagine if Bones/Belfort wasn't added to this card. Bones last PPV before this one did a 700k buyrate against a legitimate opponent. Though, his reputation did take a hit after that.

I know purists aren't in the majority. I'm just saying you can't bend to the will of the casual fans. Maybe once in a while, but you can't do it often.